Gibson Brands Forums

Abbey Road - Super Deluxe edition

Tman

Giles Martin had a go and this was released September 26th for the 50th. Always been my favorite Beatles album.

After the remixed versions of the takes that were on the album there are a bunch of studio takes that didn't make it - mostly run up takes. Also chatter between them. I typically don't like listening to that stuff (the chatter) except maybe once to see how they behaved in a typical studio situation. I discovered a mondegreen in You Never Give Me Your Money when Paul announciated better than on the album. 

Any jobber got the sack
Monday morning, turning back
Yellow lorry slow, nowhere to go. I always thought it was Yellow Doris Oh, nowhere to go. Kind of embarrassing. We don't use the term Lorry stateside although I should have thought that if it doesn't make sense maybe it is something colloquial. 

There is a version of Come and Get It that's really good. There's a recording of John trying to decide whether to use a loud take or soft take of I want You/ She's so heavy that is interesting (my least favorite song on the album).  Also another take of Here Comes the Sun that is really good. You hear his picking of the notes clearer somehow (at least I think I do). There another version of Something and also just the strings for Something. Brilliant.

• Like 1

It has to be one to hear; that and Revolver are my faves.

I was stunned by the beautiful accapella harmonies on the version of "Because" released on one of the anthologies.

There are some different versions of this - basic, deluxe, super deluxe...I think one has a book too  :-k

https://abbeyroad.thebeatles.com/abbey-road-anniversary-editions-2-2/

And it has become No.1 selling album  in the UK again, 50 years after 1st release.   [thumbup]

I still haven't bought the 50th anniversary "Electric Ladyland" yet.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

Abbey Road is the best album the Beatles ever made, followed by Revolver, Rubber Soul and the “White” Album. It’s a shame they didn’t make more albums after Abbey Road. But if they did there is no way to know if they could have topped it.

When I got Abbey Road 50 years ago I played it nonstop. Which after a few weeks prompted my father to yell upstairs, “ you got to find something else to listen to or move out.”

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

And it has become No.1 selling album  in the UK again, 50 years after 1st release.   [thumbup]

That is unbelievable. Has anyone ever matched that feat?

I know Bohemian Rhapsody was #1 twice but not with a 50 year spread. I guess we'll have to wait and see in 2025 or so, maybe 3 times a charm.

23 minutes ago, Murph said:

Bohemian Rhapsody just won't go away. I'm sick of it. 

I was there the first time in the 70's. Then Wayne's World dug it back up. Then the last movie dug it up again.

Pour some concrete on it...

Post of the month - or year - I could not agree more. 

• Like 2

I borrow from Winston Churchill when I say,  Abbey Road was the best Beatles album accept for all the other Beatle albums.   

It was and remains the cherry on top of the finest dessert.  Can we separate one Beatles work from another? I know we do,  but it is like taking one piece of a puzzle away from the others. 

There was a progression of creativity from the Fab Four,  culminating in Abbey Road,  as if all the previous work lead to that crescendo.   The weakest recording they ever made would have been a triumph for anyone else.  

What I'd like to know is how much unreleased  work is still lying in the vaults?  Undoubtedly there are hours and hours of work they decided not to use, whole songs that were recorded and not released...If only

6 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

What I'd like to know is how much unreleased  work is still lying in the vaults?  Undoubtedly there are hours and hours of work they decided not to use, whole songs that were recorded and not released...If only

Paul has allowed quite a lot out in the last 25 years or so. I'm with you.

I don't think he's done.

7 hours ago, Tman said:

What I meant was that I think it is amazing that an album can be number one 50 years later.

Yes, that must be a first,  certainly has never happened before.  

And Frank Sinatra called “Something” "the greatest love song of the past 50 years."   Lennon said it was the best song on the album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_(Beatles_song)

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Yes, that must be a first,  certainly has never happened before.  

And Frank Sinatra called “Something” "the greatest love song of the past 50 years."   Lennon said it was the best song on the album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_(Beatles_song)

I’ve always said Harrison wrote the best songs on Abbey Road. The cat was a great song writer and singer. When All Things Must Pass came out in 1970,  he left no doubt that he was the equal to Lennon and McCartney.

12 hours ago, deeman said:

Half of Abbey road is really bad imho.

Revolver>Sgt. Pepper>Magical Mystery Tour>White Album>Abbey Road

I thought half The White Album could have been left off instead of making it a double album.  

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 9:26 AM, Murph said:

Bohemian Rhapsody just won't go away. I'm sick of it. 

I was there the first time in the 70's. Then Wayne's World dug it back up. Then the last movie dug it up again.

Pour some concrete on it...

I am so glad I'm not the only person I know to feel this way.  I rush to the "next" button when that comes up on Pandora or Spotify,  and I get the 'ol stink eye from the wife toboot if she's around.    she seems to never tire of it.   I just can't listen to it "again".............

• Like 1

I think the Abbey Road medley is the best thing the Beatles ever produced. The other side of the LP is OK but doesn't really thrill me.

Rubber Soul and Revolver are nice. I think the White Album would have made a good single LP if you got rid of the tunes I don't care for like Revloution 9, Rocky Raccoon and a few others.

And no, I'm not sick of Bohemian Rhapsody either, although it was over played. Now when I hear it, it's like meeting an old friend. Like a shorter work by a classical composer, it has enough musicality to stand the test of time for me. (for me for meeeeeeee - cue guitars) <sorry>

Back to The Beatles. I haven't heard the remix, and probably won't. In the past I've found new things to hear in remixes but mourn the bits that I loved and got lost in the new mix.

Insights and incites by Notes

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, saturn said:

I thought half The White Album could have been left off instead of making it a double album.  

I agree.

I'd say all the McCartney songs on Abbey Road are really bad IMO, especially that medley at the end. Even when I was 10 I thought that was lame and contrived 'granny music.'

YMMV of course.

• Like 1

So I listened to it with good headphones while taking a walk (a quiet walk around the lake). The original songs are listed as "2019 mix". I thought that I wouldn't be able to hear a difference honestly but I was wrong. You can really hear a difference. I think in part because of optimizing compression amongst other digital advancements in the last 50 years. The harmonies stand out, the lead vocals in general stand out more, the guitar fills, the drums, overall really different. I wondered how good Giles could really be (wouldn't it be nice to have George Martin as your father) but I think he did an incredible job. The guitar fills on "She came in through the bathroom window" are brilliant and you hear them a bit differently. I am assuming they are George, he had really come into his own.

I really enjoyed the whole experience. I'd like to know if anyone else hears that or is it my mind and ears playing tricks on me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, deeman said:

I agree.

I'd say all the McCartney songs on Abbey Road are really bad IMO, especially that medley at the end. Even when I was 10 I thought that was lame and contrived 'granny music.'

YMMV of course.

With the amount of acid these guys were into at the time, I was impressed that they could even play never mind write decent stuff.   The white album, or most of it, was never one that I had a lot of affinity for.

Some of you guys mentioned some of the duds that are on the various albums, most of them I agree with, there was some stinkers. What if at the time of the final mix of these albums they decided to keep theses duds off? Then when the 50th anniversary of the albums remixes come out like they have been, they decide to throw those duds in as never heard before tracks? What would we think of the now, being its the first time we will be hearing it?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Some of you guys mentioned some of the duds that are on the various albums, most of them I agree with, there was some stinkers. What if at the time of the final mix of these albums they decided to keep theses duds off? Then when the 50th anniversary of the albums remixes come out like they have been, they decide to throw those duds in as never heard before tracks? What would we think of the now, being its the first time we will be hearing it?  

The white album, imho, (and I'm by no way proclaiming an avid beatles fan b/c I am not) would have been more listenable for my ears..  some of the cuts on the white album were great, some of there others, not so much.