Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 2015 Traditional pickups manipulated?

Paco9

Hello, 

I'm about to buy a used Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2015, I cannot see the guitar because the seller lives somewhere else. He sent me pics and I noticed the screws on the bridge pickups plastic covers (not the pole screws) are too tight,  like crushing the plastic. You can see their depth due to the dirt around it (bottom left screw on the plastic cover)

Is that a sign that the guitar as been modified? Pickups replaced? Or does that happen out of normal use? He assured me he didn't change anything but seeing this I am not so sure.

pickup.jpg

2 hours ago, Paco9 said:

Hello, 

I'm about to buy a used Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2015, I cannot see the guitar because the seller lives somewhere else. He sent me pics and I noticed the screws on the bridge pickups plastic covers (not the pole screws) are too tight,  like crushing the plastic. You can see their depth due to the dirt around it (bottom left screw on the plastic cover)

Is that a sign that the guitar as been modified? Pickups replaced? Or does that happen out of normal use? He assured me he didn't change anything but seeing this I am not so sure.

pickup.jpg

Looks perfectly normal to me. 

The 2015 Les Paul Traditional came fitted with the 1959 Tribute pickups, they were only fitted to the 2014 and 15 Traditional model's and were excellent p/u's, and I think quite sought after, they were never sold as after market parts.

If you can ask for photo's of the control cavity and look to see if there is any evidence of any re-soldering as it's rarely as neat as when done originally by someone who does it all day every day.  

7 hours ago, IanHenry said:

The 2015 Les Paul Traditional came fitted with the 1959 Tribute pickups, they were only fitted to the 2014 and 15 Traditional model's and were excellent p/u's, and I think quite sought after, they were never sold as after market parts.

If you can ask for photo's of the control cavity and look to see if there is any evidence of any re-soldering as it's rarely as neat as when done originally by someone who does it all day every day.  

^This^ for sure.  Great pups and so make sure that's what you get!