Gibson Brands Forums

My Dove Unplugged!

BluesKing777

Well, I was only going to play the Dove for a minute....

But somehow I ended up doing another recording - it has been raining and all the building banging and general screams next door stopped and I pressed the record button to do an acoustic only version of the Rolling Stones' "I've Got The Blues" - one mic in the middle to get guitar and vocal (Neumann KM184).

BluesKing777.

Trying to educate myself to what I should be listening to...  I'm going on the assumption this is a maple long scale guitar.

• For the maple, I should hear a quick decay
  • For the long scale, I should hear a better articulation between notes / strings. (not positive on this...  ?)

My assessment, I hear the decay, and it sounds good.  On the articulation - can't speak to it really, notes sound good to me, well separated...  anything else I should be listening for?  How would you sum up this beast bk compared to the rest of your stock?

Thanks PB!

I have not touched another guitar since I bought this one last Friday (only Friday?)

In between experimenting with it acoustically and the Anthem system, it has kept me busy. The neck seems a bit chunkier than other post -2000 Gibsons I have owned, very nice for fingerpicking, quite spacious.

Next is decision time - what goes?

BluesKing777.

What goes? That would be a difficult decision, I imagine. I get too attached to things. Nothing has gone out since unloading a Taylor 314 a couple years back. I would not want to imagine removing one of the 3 nice acoustics I have. I got a Squire Tele that can go, though. 😁

The Anthem sounded nice in your other sample.   Have you tried blending external and Anthem yet? I had issues keeping phase correct with mine on the SJ.  My studio room has improved acoustically since that time, though, so will try again. 

3 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

What goes? That would be a difficult decision, I imagine. I get too attached to things. Nothing has gone out since unloading a Taylor 314 a couple years back. I would not want to imagine removing one of the 3 nice acoustics I have. I got a Squire Tele that can go, though. 😁

The Anthem sounded nice in your other sample.   Have you tried blending external and Anthem yet? I had issues keeping phase correct with mine on the SJ.  My studio room has improved acoustically since that time, though, so will try again. 

What do you mean by 'blending external', PB?

I have no manual for the system, no swivel stick to adjust the mic....sounds great as set, but curiosity, curiosity...

(I don't have any bad guitars really - any chaff left the last cleanout. I have ones I don't play much that are getting shaky!)

BluesKing777.

27 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

What do you mean by 'blending external', PB?

I have no manual for the system, no swivel stick to adjust the mic....sounds great as set, but curiosity, curiosity...

(I don't have any bad guitars really - any chaff left the last cleanout. I have ones I don't play much that are getting shaky!)

BluesKing777.

Sorry, BK - I meant an external mic and the signal from the guitar.

The Anthem User guide in PDF for I downloaded can be found on their support page. Click on the + next to Anthem and it's the 3rd option.   Anthem on the Baggs site

The plastic-stick hole will take a very small, flat head screw-driver. It has a total of 3/4 of a full turn, and is by no means tight or requires any real force. I just slid the screw driver into the 1/2 of the groove inside of the hole. It looks quite similar to a phillips' head in there if you can get the light angled well. I did eventually find my plastic-stick. 🙂

Edited by PatriotsBiker

Thanks PB!

I will look up the manual, though reading a manual is a sign of defeat for men, isn't it? 😷

I had phase problems with the little mic on my Seymour Duncan Mag Mic, had a nice sounding mix of mag and mic going until I also plugged in to my Boss VE8 with a Shure SM58 for vocal - instant chorus phase pedal!

And for a moment, I thought I may add another 'external' pickup to the Anthem - one of my Schertler soundhole pickups has the extra plug for either their little mic (great) or another internal pickup like a K&K ( haven't done it). I can't try any of these pickups on this guitar - the Baggs control is on the soundhole.

Whoever owned the Dove before had the guitar and pickup very sorted. They certainly didn't have their head sorted  though to sell this beauty! They must be imprisoned or deceased. (Wife sold it).

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

5 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Thanks PB!

I will look up the manual, though reading a manual is a sign of defeat for men, isn't it? 😷

I had phase problems with the little mic on my Seymour Duncan Mag Mic, had a nice sounding mix of mag and mic going until I also plugged in to my Boss VE8 with a Shure SM58 for vocal - instant chorus phase pedal!

And for a moment, I thought I may add another 'external' pickup to the Anthem - one of my Schertler soundhole pickups has the extra plug for either their little mic (great) or another internal pickup like a K&K ( haven't done it). I can't try any of these pickups on this guitar - the Baggs control is on the soundhole.

Whoever owned the Dove before had the guitar and pickup very sorted. They certainly didn't have their head sorted  though to sell this beauty! They must be imprisoned or deceased. (Wife sold it).

BluesKing777.

Yah, but it's a very short manual. barely time for anyone to notice.  🙂

Sounds like hard times must have indeed been hit for it to be sold. 

I will try not to feel bad for the previous owner....😎

Err, the Anthem control is in the way of my soundhole plug! Waiting for the Banshees to launch! I may have to buy another and sacrifice a $15 Feedback Buster plug and cut a hole for the Baggs control - I don't really need to adjust it, so once the plug is in, a strip of gaffa tape can cover the Baggs control area. It may not look the prettiest, but I know from using my Matons that the Banshees hate mics inside guitars and lie in wait and the key to using the Maton pickup properly is to have the soundhole plug in, pickup AND internal mic up FULL!

BluesKing777.