IanHenry

Which Small Amp?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which Small Amp?

• Laney Cub 10
    • Marshall Origin 5
    • Vox AC4C1-112

5 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Be prepared to be a little disappointed in those amps vs. a Blues Junior. In the tube world, weight equals volume.  Fifteen watts is kind of a rule of thumb for playing at band volume.  I have a Tweedle Dee Deluxe and a Princeton Reverb, both about 15 watts, and they struggle to play at band volume with any headroom at all.

Warranty service for British amps is prolly pretty good over there.  It's not very good here in the States.

Us guys in the States - I recommend staying away from any brand in the KorgUSA fold.  That includes Blackstar and Vox.  Marshalls are pretty bad quality wise.  Any amp under about $500.00 is going to eventually get thrown away because it's not worth fixing.  Everybody who leaves my shop disappointed has a cheap amp that's not worth fixing.  I don't do  warranty work but I do occasionally get amps that the local warranty guys can't fix.  I have a Blackstar here that's under warranty that the Service Center couldn't diagnose and the shop won't let the guy do their work any more.  Korg won't send me any schematics, so it's like a freaking Kafka novel trying to work with them.  No returned calls, no nothing.

Just don't go cheap just because you want something small.  👍

Thanks for that, it's always good getting some info from someone working on the front line.

I'm quite tempted by the Cornell because a) it sounds pretty good on the YouTube review b) I know where I can go to test one (but they only have the one and apparently there's a long waiting list for stock) and c) because it's hand wired here in the UK. Needless to say the Cornell is the most expensive amp of the batch. 

I was quite interested seeing on their site that Gary Moore used one of their amps because listening to the sound sample I'd thought that was a very Gary sound even though it was played on a Strat like  instrument, although I'm sure Gary must have had an army of amps at his disposal.

51 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

I'd thought that was a very Gary sound even though it was played on a Strat like  instrument, although I'm sure Gary must have had an army of amps at his disposal.

well,  in all fairness Ian, Gary could have plugged a guitar in to a loaf of bread, and he'd still sound like Gary Moore..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Be prepared to be a little disappointed in those amps vs. a Blues Junior. In the tube world, weight equals volume.  Fifteen watts is kind of a rule of thumb for playing at band volume.  I have a Tweedle Dee Deluxe and a Princeton Reverb, both about 15 watts, and they struggle to play at band volume with any headroom at all.

Warranty service for British amps is prolly pretty good over there.  It's not very good here in the States.

Us guys in the States - I recommend staying away from any brand in the KorgUSA fold.  That includes Blackstar and Vox.  Marshalls are pretty bad quality wise.  Any amp under about $500.00 is going to eventually get thrown away because it's not worth fixing.  Everybody who leaves my shop disappointed has a cheap amp that's not worth fixing.  I don't do  warranty work but I do occasionally get amps that the local warranty guys can't fix.  I have a Blackstar here that's under warranty that the Service Center couldn't diagnose and the shop won't let the guy do their work any more.  Korg won't send me any schematics, so it's like a freaking Kafka novel trying to work with them.  No returned calls, no nothing.

Just don't go cheap just because you want something small.  👍

My Vox's and Marshall's down time for repairs was always kind of inconvenient. Had a lot better luck with my Ampeg's and Fender's, just needed to have plenty of spare 6L6's and 6550's around to keep them running.. Sometimes I would put the head on backwards so I watch the tubes arching while I was playing... My Early Peavey's were tough as nails but just didn't have the smooth tube sound..

Any way .... Sometimes its a good idea to have different size amps for venues, like bedrooms to garage to pub.. Higher power amps don't always work well in the bedroom, too much temptation to turn them up to where they start to resonate and sound good, then everyone in the house hates you.. My 90w Deluxe, below 1, is almost too much for my home. So for minimum I start with one of my Micro Cubes..

PmPpMj6.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

Knock on wood, but neither of my Vox Amps have ever broke down & they are used almost every day or night...

Wish I could say the same for my Fenders.. Both my Twin & DRRI have had break downs & the Closest Fender Autorized Repair Center was a 2 hour drive & the Amps were their a couple weeks... Very in convenient... My Princeton has had no break downs.. All are out of Warranty.

Luckily now there is a great Amp Tech locally.. He works on all Amps & is Fender Authorized... Down time for my last Twin repair was a couple days... I'm sure it would be about the same for my Vox's & Marshall..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 2

Yeah, Korg USA just contacted me this morning to reinforce how bad their support is.  They're like "We won't send you any info unless you become an authorized service center.  Do you want an application?"  I'm thinking "Do you guys want an application to become a reputable amp manufacturer, lol?"

• Like 1

I think if you can find a local amp repair guy and find out what he can fix or get parts for. Note that "get parts" usually means it will be down for a while.. My last Marshall was made in Mexico.. If you buy an amp with complex circuits, it could take a while to fix.. Old style amps, similar to Fenders, were not very complex relying on tubes to do most of the work, just need a few spares..

I would call the Blues Jr below, low tech simplicity at its best.. 🙂

Fender_BJ_BiasMod.jpg

Image from the web...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

I decided to buy the Cornell Traveller 5, it's a great little amp with a huge variation of sounds available, I really like it (of course this is still the honeymoon period!). It's hand built at Southend on Sea here in the UK, so I'm figuring it's a bit like cars, if it's hand built it can always be hand re-built.

In the end it was a close run thing between the Cornell and a Fender Pro Junior ltd.

Thanks you everyone for all your helpful suggestions and insight's it is very much appreciated.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...