Gibson Brands Forums

Any golfers in this crowd?

Twang Gang

A question I've been meaning to ask for a long time, but keep forgetting.  Just wondering how many of you guitar guys also play golf regularly?  And if you do, are you any good at it?

I started when I was about 12 years old, played on my high school and college teams,  but pretty much gave it up after graduation due to the cost.   Started playing again when I was about 30 and have continued ever since.  Play about 3 times a week now - the old body won't take much more than that.

Used to be really good with the irons, and the putter, but a little wild with the driver and fairway woods.  Now I am very consistent with the driver, but the iron approach shots are lacking.  Settled in about a 12 handicap these days.

• Like 2

I like to golf. 

Didn't start playing until I was in my late 30's. But for a few years I was really into it. 

Never  did the handicap thing.  My lowest score is an 87 on 18 holes. 

I havn't played in a few years however because I've just been too busy. Golf takes time. 

My favorite sport to play is basketball. Play regularly and watch for most of my life. 

• Like 1

Used to be an avid golfer but had an industrial accident where my left foot had  9 fractures..so I was not able to for about one year and then it affected my swing on the weight transfer and I sliced way to much. I have not played but 3 times in 15 years..at my best I was around a 12 handicap..I really miss the outside and the comradery.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

...played on my high school and college teams,  but pretty much gave it up after graduation due to the cost...

Wow, Twang! Did you lose THAT many balls!?!?

Pip.

Edited by pippy

I play, not as much as I should, but it's time consuming.  I played when I was a kid a bit, but got away from it, and started playing I think in around 2007 or 8

I have my good days, then I have my normal days.

I'm convinced at this point that Golf is something that God put in my life to remind me that I'm going to suck at somethings.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I'm convinced at this point that Golf is something that God put in my life to remind me that I'm going to suck at somethings.

I know what you mean, KB!

I was about the only male in our family tree who didn't play practically from birth. Then, one day, an uncle (after whom I'n named) left me his set of clubs when he could no longer play and myself along with a couple of mates would, once a month or so, traipse around a local public course and endanger the local fauna. By the time I had been playing for a few years my fairway irons, my approach shots and my putting were all pretty-ok but my driving? 'Haphazard' is far too kind a word. The point came when I could manage somewhere like 10 - 12 holes in par (or under) but I'd be just as likely to take 10 strokes at all the rest!

Still; a good afternooon out for all. Fortunately neither of my playing buddies was ever going to be in the Tiger Woods mould skill-wise and none of us took things too seriously nor considered that 'winning' was even remotely important. We really did have a hoot.

I still have those clubs. To give an idea of how 'vintage' they are I can admit that the woods are all of the laminated-wood construction method...

Pip.

Edited by pippy

33 minutes ago, pippy said:

I know what you mean, KB!

I was about the only male in our family tree who didn't play practically from birth. Then, one day, an uncle (after whom I'n named) left me his set of clubs when he could no longer play and myself along with a couple of mates would, once a month or so, traipse around a local public course and endanger the local fauna. By the time I had been playing for a few years my fairway irons, my approach shots and my putting were all pretty-ok but my driving? 'Haphazard' is far too kind a word. The point came when I could manage somewhere like 10 - 12 holes in par (or under) but I'd be just as likely to take 10 strokes at all the rest!

Still; a good afternooon out for all. Fortunately neither of my playing buddies was ever going to be in the Tiger Woods mould skill-wise and none of us took things too seriously nor considered that 'winning' was even remotely important. We really did have a hoot.

I still have those clubs. To give an idea of how 'vintage' they are I can admit that the woods are all of the laminated-wood construction method...

Pip.

my issue too Pip.  About half of my drives are "kinda" where they need to be, the other half,,  nope..... I have a 3 and a 5 wood I hit really good.  So some days I just hit a 3 wood off the T's, and I'm in play and not usually all that far from where a well placed driver shot would be.  I'll take the "-" distance to be in the fairway any day.  I will say on those times that I hit the driver right, I can get em out there with any of the people I play with,  they just seem to be able to find more consistency.   albeit, they play more than I do.

To Cougar,  Lovely golf course, looks it would be a treat to play

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Twang Gang, like you i live in golf heaven. I'm in myrtle beach. handicap now is 8. used to be scratch in my youth, 70 now. 

hey if you want a new addiction- take of golf. my new addiction is Gibson guitars

Edited by Buke

I love to golf, but golf doesn't love me. We also have real abbreviated seasons here in the greatish white north. I try to go to the range 2 - 3 times a week when its open. i don't hit the ball straight enough to feel confident out on full length courses so I stick to pitch and putts until I figure out my driver.

I played real golf ( not putt-putt or just hitting at driving range) one time. That was about in 1987. 

Now my band recently played at a golf course in Maryland called Mountain Branch. Very nice place. 

Edited by saturn