Gibson Brands Forums

NGD, a real sows ear/silk purse story

sparquelito

So, last year I had my eye on a Devlin solid body guitar, and she was a real looker.
Problem was, the owner was real proud of it, and wanted far too much jingo for the guitar.

I had done some homework on Devlins, and apparently they were fairly high quality Korean-made guitars, and only made between 2006 and 2009 or so. They all retailed for somewhere around $500 or more. (And then the company dissolved, or merged into something else.)

Anyway, last week, I came across a Devlin in a pawn shop just a few towns away from here, and it really caught my eye. It is a double cutaway (much like certain Gibson guitars they used to make, or the Hamer DC that I have always fancied).

Problem is, they pawn shop wanted too much for it, and worst of all, the guitar was in really cruddy condition. Dirty, dusty, gunky, and in a state of neglect.

I went to visit the Devlin a few times, and managed to play it plugged in. The neck is true, the Grover tuners are great, and the guitar is mechanically sound. (It's just really, really filthy.)

So, long story short, I picked her up today, and got it, out the door, for a little over a hundred dollars American.

Here's how she looked this morning when I brought her home.
(Don't worry. I have had my tetanus shot.)
😞
dirty-headstock-jpg.646373
dirty-body-jpg.646374
fdirty-body2-jpg.646375

Edited by sparquelito
PHOTOS

And so, voila, here she is after an entire afternoon of cleaning, fret polishing, waxing, adjusting, DeOxit spritzing, restringing, and just general all around love.

She's a real beauty, and she plays and sounds like a dream.

Such a great double-cutaway!

And the case that came with it is really posh, and form-fitting!

🙂

clean-headstock-jpg.646376
clean-overall-jpg.646377
clean-body-jpg.646378
clean-back-jpg.646379
clean-low-angle-jpg.646380
case-open-jpg.646381

:V

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2019 at 3:53 AM, sparquelito said:

And so, voila, here she is after an entire afternoon of cleaning, fret polishing, waxing, adjusting, DeOxit spritzing, restringing, and just general all around love.

clean-body-jpg.646378

Wow!

That really is a FINE looking instrument. For c. $100 you got an absolute bargain, Sparky!

Many congrats!

[thumbup]

Pip.