Gibson Brands Forums

P90 Humbuckers?

uncle fester

IME they get in the "ball park" but none of the switching configs with coil splits/cutters/phasing, will nail it.   I have a Sheraton Pro II, it has coil cutters, I also have a tele and 2 strats,  the Sherry doesn't sound like either one, no matter what combos you try, nor does it come close to sounding like the P90s in my SG Classic.    but having said that, I can get some really nice tones out of the Sherry that I would't get without those options, but I do tend to  prefer the standard humbucker sounds anyways

• Thanks 1

If it's a feature that mostly would go unsed then I'd opt for just the standard wiring.   While I don't believe that would alter the sound (it is possible) it's just something else that may go wrong down the road.  out of all my humbucker'd guitars, only the Sherry has the capability,  my SGs and Les Pauls, ES135, all basic setup for the pickups.  I don't miss the switching features at all.  I Can get a lot of variation just with the volume pots while in the middle position.  One good way to clean up a less paul when playing clean is to roll back the neck pickup, and let the bridge pickup do most of the talking.  Takes that "boom-y-ness" (is that a word?) out of the sound.

Edited by kidblast

I have a Les Paul Standard with the push/pull pots, which is a coil tap. I also have Les Pauls with P90's. I'm not 100% sure what the difference is but there is a difference in sound. It could be the pickups themselves or the guitars but it is a different sound.

28 minutes ago, MichaelT said:

I have a Les Paul Standard with the push/pull pots, which is a coil tap. I also have Les Pauls with P90's. I'm not 100% sure what the difference is but there is a difference in sound. It could be the pickups themselves or the guitars but it is a different sound.

The standard setup on a humbucking with a push/pull pot will shut off one coil leaving one coil active giving you a more bluesy Strat like sound. Where a P90 will have twice as many windings on a single coil adding volume and wider tone range with a little more edge.. The P-Rails has full sized P90 coil and a smaller coil that provides hum cancelling...

Edited by mihcmac