Gibson Brands Forums

1955 3/4 acoustic Gibson guitar value

Pete slatter

That's a neat one!  I used to own a '50s LG2-3/4, but haven't previously seen the 3/4 size body in an all-mahogany LG-0 format.

Value?  I'm probably not the best person to guess on that, since back in the '70s, I paid no more than $40 for my LG2-3/4 at a flea market!

But I will say that, imho, folks these days are asking stupid-money prices for the LG2-3/4.  I've seen quite a few listed in the $1500-1900 range.  Of course, there can be a big difference between asking price & what people are willing to pay. 

That guitar is a 1958 according to the serial number. It is a regular LG0. Some people erroneously refer to all LG guitars as 3/4 size, which they are not. A true 3/4 size LG guitar does not share the shape of a regular LG series guitar but has a narrower waist.

Could be worth anywhere from $500-1200 based on condition. Lower end of the scale is more likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinny Boy Jackson said:

That guitar is a 1958 according to the serial number. It is a regular LG0. Some people erroneously refer to all LG guitars as 3/4 size, which they are not. A true 3/4 size LG guitar does not share the shape of a regular LG series guitar but has a narrower waist.

Could be worth anywhere from $500-1200 based on condition. Lower end of the scale is more likely.

I agree'

• Like 1

Yep it's a '58, an LG0 as you say but, despite being a small instrument, these guitars are classed as parlour guitars rather than 3/4 size. The LG0 when new was a bottom of the line instrument, but is a collectible and cool guitar which generally have generally aged well, and have a great punchy, midrangey tone which is fantastic for blues and rootsy stuff.

One of my favourite small bodied guitars I've played was a '59 LG0, which just had "it". I didn't have the coin to buy it at the time, but I often think of how great it was. 

In the UK, I would expect to see a '58 LG0 selling for around the £1500-£1700 mark, depending on condition, originality/repairs, fretwear, cracks/no cracks, neck angle, case etc. Generally '50s Gibsons fetch strong money over here compared to the US.

10 hours ago, Skinny Boy Jackson said:

Aha.  I started to wonder that myself as it is hard to believe Gibson could have released a guitar which nobody had ever run across.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:40 PM, QuestionMark said:

Just FYI.  The specific size designation for the LG0 (as well as the LG1, 2,  and 3) is a concert size guitar.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Is that so? I always thought they were a parlour, albeit a rather large parlour. I had no idea they were specifically classed as a Concert, very interesting!

2 minutes ago, Jinder said:

Is that so? I always thought they were a parlour, albeit a rather large parlour. I had no idea they were specifically classed as a Concert, very interesting!

The LG body plan and proportions are very similar to those of a concert classical guitar. You can use the same case for either type, with a near-perfect fit.

3 hours ago, j45nick said:

The LG body plan and proportions are very similar to those of a concert classical guitar. You can use the same case for either type, with a near-perfect fit.

I do that. I have a Hiscox classical case that fits all the LG’s like it was made for them.