Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Use Martin Retro's on on their Maple Jumbo?

thegreatgumbino

Ive  played  retros on a J35 1937 reissue, 00018 Golden Era and an OM28 new std (shop model).  Cant say enough good things about em.  You might miss the pbs ring at first but once you get the clarity of the retros, you just might like them.  

Btw here's a video of Toby Walker with a J35, J100 and an  AJ, but Im not sure what strings he's got on there. 

11 minutes ago, Rambler said:

Ive  played  retros on a J35 1937 reissue, 00018 Golden Era and an OM28 new std (shop model).  Cant say enough good things about em.  You might miss the pbs ring at first but once you get the clarity of the retros, you just might like them.  

Btw here's a video of Toby Walker with a J35, J100 and an  AJ, but Im not sure what strings he's got on there. 

Toby's dog is not impressed. I am, though.

I put them on my SJ-200 for a very short period of time. I do not recall if they were the retros or a different from that string lineup. I felt the tension increase was too intense for it. All kinds of creaking noises I did not feel comfortable with. They were the lights - .012's. I did use them on my bird once, but it was nothing like how the SJ felt.

The other factor in play was that I could have been chicken-sheee-ite and acted out of over-nervousness instead of logic. I figured getting them off of the SJ was safest and they were gone within a day or two at the most.