Gibson Brands Forums

Help Diagnosing this Rattling..

Violeiro

2 hours ago, blindboygrunt said:

I'You could also consider posting this video in the performance sectionĀ  , as I've heard worse attempts hereĀ 

Ā 

Hope you find the buzzĀ 

Is it only buzzing on that fret you are playing?

Good one.

Yes- "is it only on the fret you are playing?" Can you goĀ up the neck and get the buzz to disappear? Maybe you can isolate a high fret? Also- low humidity can cause the top to sink, emphasizing a fret that would not normally buzz. A good luthier will make sure that the guitar is properly humidified and stable before doing any setup work.Ā Ā 

ok so I watched that,,Ā  IMHO ... I think you're just picking those notes too hard, as it does not seem to occur when you are using a normal amount of pressure to pluck the notes

I think that there is nothing abnormal about this.. Ā  you'll never hit them that hard when you're playing..

7 hours ago, kidblast said:

ok so I watched that,,Ā  IMHO ... I think you're just picking those notes too hard, as it does not seem to occur when you are using a normal amount of pressure to pluck the notes

I think that there is nothing abnormal about this.. Ā  you'll never hit them that hard when you're playing..

What he says. You are hitting the A with harder and harder force until you get the buzz. It's a self-fulfilling action. It could be that the A string nut slot is a tiny bit deeper than it should be, but that isn't obvious. I can make any string on most of my guitars buzz if I deflect them enough and then release them.

• Like 1

I agree with the heavy-handed thing, but was too chicken to suggest such a thing earlier in the week. (Sometimes I can be too forthcoming.)

I stopped worrying about the occasional heavy-handed buzz on the E-A strings when I saw Neil Young videos from the early 70's. Heck, done like he does, it sounds energetic, as if really getting into the music he's playing.

it's simple physics really,, the more pressure applied on the "pluck", the more that string needs to move.Ā Ā  the higher up the neck one travels, the less "room" is available.

I've taught on and off for years, and it is common thing that pops up with beginners who are still developing their touch.

Ā 

Ā 

It can take quite some time to adjust to a new guitar. Play it a lot for a few weeks, and if you are still having problems, take it to a good luthier for a set-up.

It may need a little tweaking, but give yourself (and the guitar) some time to adapt to each other.