Gibson Brands Forums

Advice needed. Gibson LP Custom 1977 with "SECOND" printed on the back of headstock

ArthurFlek

5 hours ago, Il Magnifico said:

Hi greatings from Italy. Please find attached a link where Mark Agnesi explain the meaning of the "second" on the SG 1965 Standard headstok that he presented.

I hope this can help you!!

Regards il Magnifico

I remember that SG, remember how i drooled 👻 one day i'll have one!

No problem with the "second" guitars,  as Mark explains

• Like 1

Just go over the guitar very carefully before you purchase.  A second has something wrong with it, and you don't know what it was.  Remember in the above video Mark is working at a guitar store and trying to sell the guitar so he minimizes the fact that it is a "second".  It could've been a minor finish blemish as he mentions, but it could also have been something more serious.  Be sure to check the nut, the neck, the intonation etc. as you don't want to buy a problem that can't be fixed.

• Like 1

They likely do not destroy "seconds" they probably send them to a big box store (like CME on Reverb , Stratosphere or Gibsondependable on Ebay) and sell them as "demo", used, open box or  floor models. I know, I bought a couple which were so bad they should have been crushed.

When they destroy them, they likely do it because they're not selling that model or taking a tax  loss / write off  makes better business sense.

In the distant past when I had an opportunity to see a brand new or recently purchased "second" it was because it had some finish flaw. 

Edited by gnappi
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 7:53 AM, gnappi said:

They likely do not destroy "seconds" they probably send them to a big box store (like CME on Reverb , Stratosphere or Gibsondependable on Ebay) and sell them as "demo", used, open box or  floor models. I know, I bought a couple which were so bad they should have been crushed.

When they destroy them, they likely do it because they're not selling that model or taking a tax  loss / write off  makes better business sense.

In the distant past when I had an opportunity to see a brand new or recently purchased "second" it was because it had some finish flaw. 

They dont save any guitar that does not pass tbe grade.   The acoustic division cuts up alot , they dont want to put in there eyes a flawed product.  When I was at Bozeman in 91. They had boxes and boxes of headstocks with serial numbers attached . They saved all of those to account for there inventory.   Bodies sawed in quarters and tossed.   Like those Firebirds of recent. They were a flop from the get go.  Destroy all and no resale issues.    I think thats what I liked about Gibson. Save the quality as best as they can.  

11 hours ago, slimt said:

They dont save any guitar that does not pass tbe grade.   The acoustic division cuts up alot , they dont want to put in there eyes a flawed product.  When I was at Bozeman in 91. They had boxes and boxes of headstocks with serial numbers attached . They saved all of those to account for there inventory.   Bodies sawed in quarters and tossed.   Like those Firebirds of recent. They were a flop from the get go.  Destroy all and no resale issues.    I think thats what I liked about Gibson. Save the quality as best as they can.  

Well, as a departure from those thoughts, I have bought as recently as 2018 some Gibsons that only a blind inspector could have called a "first quality" git.