Gibson Brands Forums

My Solo Version of "I Shall Be Released"

BluesKing777

Thanks very much KW and KC!

The Boss VE8 is a lot of fun and makes various pickups sound good without any mucking around - I experimented last night with the pickup in some other boxes I have and.....   I don’t like it, couldn’t het the sound I had with the Boss.

Acoustic blues morning coming up!

BluesKing777.

Just back from giving the Dove a service........new Elixir pb12s, wipe, lube with lead pencil etc....tuners great, pins good, holes good, saddle low and has string dents, nut good but b string a frac low....but now it is ringing like a bell! If possible, it sounds even more fabulous than the sounding fabulous before........

I saw a video with a dude playing a 1976 Dove that looked identical to my supposedly 2005 model and a quick check told me I only had ONE X😎

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

BK, I thought this was a very nice performance with equally nice laid-back warmth of tone with the guitar. 

I'm tempted to re-introduce my anthem UST to my SJ after listening to about 2-3 of your efforts with it on your Dove. If I wasn't really digging how it sounds with these D'Add nickel bronzes, not to mention the saddle on wood thing with no UST.

Thanks PB!

The track has the sound of the Anthem plugged direct to my Boss VE8 with everything in the guitar section turned off except the volume knob that is balanced with the vocal knob. So the Anthem is a good match with the Boss VE8 electronics.....just plug er in and play away. But I tried the Anthem direct to my mixer, couldn't get a sound as good as the Boss; also direct to my Fishman Pro EQ to carve some EQs and couldn't get as good a sound...; also my Baggs Align EQ, not so much.....; haven't tried my amp, probably next?

Tried it through Tonedexter with the Anthem mic turned off and only the Element section working to make a wavefile - sounds great. But not one thing alike to the Anthem full sound!

Thought I had better mention this before someone races out to spend their coins, but BK777 is already considering the purchase of another Anthem or 2 for other problem pickup guitars, eg, my Blues King L-00 and my Martin CEO7 (like the guitar in Yesterday movie!). The price of the Anthem fully installed here is not for the faint hearted....so we will sleep on it for a while, and enjoy my new purchase with its new strings! No news here but shops don't do themselves any favors leaving old strings on guitars in their shop........

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

2 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Thanks PB!

The track has the sound of the Anthem plugged direct to my Boss VE8 with everything in the guitar section turned off except the volume knob that is balanced with the vocal knob. So the Anthem is a good match with the Boss VE8 electronics.....just plug er in and play away. But I tried the Anthem direct to my mixer, couldn't get a sound as good as the Boss; also direct to my Fishman Pro EQ to carve some EQs and couldn't get as good a sound...; also my Baggs Align EQ, not so much.....; haven't tried my amp, probably next?

Tried it through Tonedexter with the Anthem mic turned off and only the Element section working to make a wavefile - sounds great. But not one thing alike to the Anthem full sound!

Thought I had better mention this before someone races out to spend their coins, but BK777 is already considering the purchase of another Anthem or 2 for other problem pickup guitars, eg, my Blues King L-00 and my Martin CEO7 (like the guitar in Yesterday movie!). The price of the Anthem fully installed here is not for the faint hearted....so we will sleep on it for a while, and enjoy my new purchase with its new strings! No news here but shops don't do themselves any favors leaving old strings on guitars in their shop........

BluesKing777.

The nasty strings at one of our local GC stores is doubly awful when they don't care enough to set up a guitar to anything near playable. Cost them any chance at selling me an SJ sale last year. A recent journey to try out an HD-28 and a D-28 ended similarly. One of them I simply could not get into tune. Then the guy offers to go get me something to clean the strings with. I couldn't make this up if I tried.  Same bad strings as they were 6 weeks prior - just older and worse shape.

I digress. 

I've got a Boss-AD10 that I'm not going to give up on just yet. I have not tried it with just the UTS element in my 'bird. The The full Anthem on the SJ proved to be better without the AD10 for me, but there were interface issues in play.

38 minutes ago, PatriotsBiker said:

The nasty strings at one of our local GC stores is doubly awful when they don't care enough to set up a guitar to anything near playable. Cost them any chance at selling me an SJ sale last year. A recent journey to try out an HD-28 and a D-28 ended similarly. One of them I simply could not get into tune. Then the guy offers to go get me something to clean the strings with. I couldn't make this up if I tried.  Same bad strings as they were 6 weeks prior - just older and worse shape.

I digress. 

I've got a Boss-AD10 that I'm not going to give up on just yet. I have not tried it with just the UTS element in my 'bird. The The full Anthem on the SJ proved to be better without the AD10 for me, but there were interface issues in play.

Assumptions......😎

First one is that the electronics part that makes my Anthem nice in the Boss VE8 and your Boss AD10 would be the same, but...assumptions..hmm.

Next assumption is that the guitar shop where I had 2 guitars on consign a few years ago would change the strings after the guitars were still sitting there being played and tortured... I sold one and the other hung around like a blowfly forever, so I went in to get strings and mentioned the strings on my consign could do with changing if we hope to sell it! "Huh? Nah!" was the reply...then someone bought it to validate their approach!

BluesKing777.

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

Assumptions......😎

First one is that the electronics part that makes my Anthem nice in the Boss VE8 and your Boss AD10 would be the same, but...assumptions..hmm.

Next assumption is that the guitar shop where I had 2 guitars on consign a few years ago would change the strings after the guitars were still sitting there being played and tortured... I sold one and the other hung around like a blowfly forever, so I went in to get strings and mentioned the strings on my consign could do with changing if we hope to sell it! "Huh? Nah!" was the reply...then someone bought it to validate their approach!

BluesKing777.

Now, now, let's not go making too many assumptions. 🙂   

Oh man, however nice it was to finally sell a slow moving guitar had to be a bit tough when having a salesman get to prove himself right. LOL 

You know, I'm not at all sure how you got from me saying things about my situation as they minimally relate to your situations as being me trying to get the "same" results as you. I've put a ton of work and money into my studio room since I have tried my Anthem AND my AD-10. This includes a new interface with highly improved and far less noisy power supply, in/out converts and very low noise floor. Add the work I've done to the room where I've gone a long way to fixing 400Hz and up early reflections, fluttering and other nastiness that was happening. New monitors and cans so that I can hear the differences. All of this is happening, and you're making an assumption I think my none-Dove will sound the same through my anthem and AD-10 and who knows what else is in the stream as your Dove's sound through your Anthem used with a different boss product.  Did you really think I was trying to be the same as you? I'm just trying to have a conversation about these things. You're ahead of me at your stage than I am at mine. Be really silly to think I couldn't learn something from talking to you and then use/apply any information gain to my own situation. So if you want to have conversations about this, fine. If not, just ignore me and I'll go away.

2 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

You know, I'm not at all sure how you got from me saying things about my situation as they minimally relate to your situations as being me trying to get the "same" results as you. I've put a ton of work and money into my studio room since I have tried my Anthem AND my AD-10. This includes a new interface with highly improved and far less noisy power supply, in/out converts and very low noise floor. Add the work I've done to the room where I've gone a long way to fixing 400Hz and up early reflections, fluttering and other nastiness that was happening. New monitors and cans so that I can hear the differences. All of this is happening, and you're making an assumption I think my none-Dove will sound the same through my anthem and AD-10 and who knows what else is in the stream as your Dove's sound through your Anthem used with a different boss product.  Did you really think I was trying to be the same as you? I'm just trying to have a conversation about these things. You're ahead of me at your stage than I am at mine. Be really silly to think I couldn't learn something from talking to you and then use/apply any information gain to my own situation. So if you want to have conversations about this, fine. If not, just ignore me and I'll go away.

I would love to have a conversation about this, PB, but I don't really know what I am talking about - just have to take the advice of the 'experts'.

Where I was coming from was threads about input impedance and the effect on K&K pickups - the sound is tubby and bassy if you go higher than their recommended input impedance of 1 MegaOhm eg, using their K&K preamp. So following on this, running the K&K to the Boss VE8 input of 20 MegaOhms is asking for trouble....except it is ok? Sounds ok. But just about everything I have tried (pickup wise) through the Boss VE8 sounds good. And I was guessing that the input electronics on the Boss AD-10 would be identical to the Boss VE8 and would give similar results. But I also don't know this and good luck finding out! I have not found a list of input impedance specs for both.

But for me, it is curiosity about WHY it sounds good in one box and not so good in another - in an effort to save buying things that don't work!

Here are some links to the threads I was reading:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432523

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409730

P.S. the settings I have been using with the Anthem onboard controls are the suggestion at the end of this video:

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

8 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I would love to have a conversation about this, PB, but I don't really know what I am talking about - just have to take the advice of the 'experts'.

Where I was coming from was threads about input impedance and the effect on K&K pickups - the sound is tubby and bassy if you go higher than their recommended input impedance of 1 MegaOhm eg, using their K&K preamp. So following on this, running the K&K to the Boss VE8 input of 20 MegaOhms is asking for trouble....except it is ok? Sounds ok. But just about everything I have tried (pickup wise) through the Boss VE8 sounds good. And I was guessing that the input electronics on the Boss AD-10 would be identical to the Boss VE8 and would give similar results. But I also don't know this and good luck finding out! I have not found a list of input impedance specs for both.

But for me, it is curiosity about WHY it sounds good in one box and not so good in another - in an effort to save buying things that don't work!

Here are some links to the threads I was reading:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432523

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409730

P.S. the settings I have been using with the Anthem onboard controls are the suggestion at the end of this video:

BluesKing777.

BK, Great stuff and great points. The AD-10, FWIW, is 10M Ohm. Half that of the VE-8. I do wonder if the VE-8 has some better signal management to handle such mismatches.

(After some mind numbing research) According to LR Baggs technical guy(s) in their forum, they've suggested more times than not that the output of the Anthem is 3.6k Ohms.  Sooooo, on the assumption front, a huge mis-fire on my part would be to assume that the old interface contributed as much noise as I had thought, though it certainly amplified it in addition to adding some of it's own. I would have to assume that the signal coming from my Anthem is just as overloaded as it was for the purpose of the AD-10, and that feeding the output from the AD-10 to the new interface will only marginally decrease noises at best. In short, nothing changes on the incoming signal. If this is correct, then other improvements made in my "studio" would be relational at best. I will certainly try, but only because I own it already. If it does not, I only have two passive resonators that would be any good with it, so may sell. 

On a positive note, I am encouraged to try the new interface's Line-In ports with the Anthem plugged in directly. The Mic-In ports, too, as I have some good EQ/Comp/channel strip emulation software. (API, Manley, Neve, etc) The same ones I use when I mic the acoustics these days.   

10 hours ago, Murph said:

I saw that on my Soundcloud Stream when you posted it and liked it then.

Yours is among my favorite channels, old boy.

Thanks Murph!

Aren't you way, way older than me though?

I saw your comments on Soundcloud, thanks, but I only use the free one and can't reply. These other people on Soundcloud wanted to 'make me a star and all my dreams would come true, just send........", but I also couldn't reply to them. Oh well.

BluesKing777.

7 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

BK, Great stuff and great points. The AD-10, FWIW, is 10M Ohm. Half that of the VE-8. I do wonder if the VE-8 has some better signal management to handle such mismatches.

(After some mind numbing research) According to LR Baggs technical guy(s) in their forum, they've suggested more times than not that the output of the Anthem is 3.6k Ohms.  Sooooo, on the assumption front, a huge mis-fire on my part would be to assume that the old interface contributed as much noise as I had thought, though it certainly amplified it in addition to adding some of it's own. I would have to assume that the signal coming from my Anthem is just as overloaded as it was for the purpose of the AD-10, and that feeding the output from the AD-10 to the new interface will only marginally decrease noises at best. In short, nothing changes on the incoming signal. If this is correct, then other improvements made in my "studio" would be relational at best. I will certainly try, but only because I own it already. If it does not, I only have two passive resonators that would be any good with it, so may sell. 

On a positive note, I am encouraged to try the new interface's Line-In ports with the Anthem plugged in directly. The Mic-In ports, too, as I have some good EQ/Comp/channel strip emulation software. (API, Manley, Neve, etc) The same ones I use when I mic the acoustics these days.   

I need to find out if the Boss VE8 is 10 or 20, but either way it is one of the few things that ever work properly...

The other 'very big thing' in my house is the 4 channel Allen and Heath ZED60 mixer. It has USB out and I use that direct to my iMac instead of the wobbly soundcard interfaces I have owned. I don't do any multi-track recordings, (wouldn't work) just me and my guitar through the mixer from a mic or the Boss VE8 or Tonedexter.

I have never had any luck running a pickup direct to a computer. The A&H 'fixes' it.

BluesKing777.

56 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

I need to find out if the Boss VE8 is 10 or 20, but either way it is one of the few things that ever work properly...

The other 'very big thing' in my house is the 4 channel Allen and Heath ZED60 mixer. It has USB out and I use that direct to my iMac instead of the wobbly soundcard interfaces I have owned. I don't do any multi-track recordings, (wouldn't work) just me and my guitar through the mixer from a mic or the Boss VE8 or Tonedexter.

I have never had any luck running a pickup direct to a computer. The A&H 'fixes' it.

BluesKing777.

The A&H looks like an impressive unit. I've never used a sound-card interface. My set up is conceptually similar, just more of what you see on you A&H is in software form. I use a Universal Audio Apollo x6, which is the first one out of four purchases over 8 years that didn't have a major flaw. I do like to do complete mixes, but it's taken me too long to learn how to do it to the point where it is at least not awful. That's only gotten to this point within the past year or so. I realize now that I bit off more than I could chew. It was mostly fun. 🙂 Plus on days where I can't play guitar, I can sometimes work on the digital end of things. Keeps my out of trouble. Mostly. 🙂 

The VE8 is 20 according to the Boss site.

I agree with Murph. All of your music sounds great. Well tracked, played and mixed solidly enough to enjoy. 

Thanks PB!

I don't do anything to the tracks I record except fade out beginning and ending noises....

I work on computers all week and the last thing my eyes want to do is stare at another computer all night mixing tracks. Just can't do it....same with photos - I have Photoshop but burned my retinas to shreds using that and old Pagemaker for a living years ago.

So I record 'live' with the best stuff I can afford, usually one take. Why whole lifetime is the only prep. Fade out the ends and run it to Soundcloud.

BluesKing777.