Gibson Brands Forums

Transpoting my guitarts and amps.

Navy Vet.

I'm getting ready to relocate  when I retire to Johnson City TN. But I've got a problem with car space to transport 19 guitars and 4 amps. Do I try and rent a UHaul van and hope my packing skills will allow for my gear to survive or try and fill my car with what I can fit inside. And make 2 trips.

Just now, kelly campbell said:

How far are you talking...I know where Johnson City is but not where you are in Al.   I would say two trips but it really depends on how far of a drive it is...Best of luck in your new location and getting there.

6 hours one way.

• Like 1

If you hire a van you would have plenty of space and I suspect your gear is more solid - and your packing skills better - than you might imagine, NV!

You would, presumably, have to return to your 'old place' to pick up your car after the gear-move so perhaps those pre-war Martins and '59 Lesters could go with you on the second trip?

Sincere best wishes for the upcoming relocation! You must be looking forward to it with great anticipation!

[thumbup]

Pip.

• Like 1

Hmm, 19 guitars, an enviable position.. Sounds like renting a van.. Everything with cases packed laying flat, so they don't get road rash from riding on their edges. Any without cases ride in your car.. Your amps should ride upright so the drive doesn't traumatize the tubes too much..

Or if you don't mind the drive make 2 trips...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, pippy said:

If you hire a van you would have plenty of space and I suspect your gear is more solid - and your packing skills better - than you might imagine, NV!

You would, presumably, have to return to your 'old place' to pick up your car after the gear-move so perhaps those pre-war Martins and '59 Lesters could go with you on the second trip?

Sincere best wishes for the upcoming relocation! You must be looking forward to it with great anticipation!

[thumbup]

Pip.

If I had pre war Martins and '59 Lesters I could move to Highgate or St. John's Wood and hire proper movers.=P~

Edited by Navy Vet.
  • Like 1

In my previous life, I held the tittle of Grand Packmaster for a band I was in for 20 year.   a skill I still have to this day!!  so I have that going for me.....

By all means, get a uhaul van,  rent moving blankets with the uhaul, and a few rolls of bubble wrap, use these to protect the amps during transit.  The guitars should be fine (assuming they're all in hard cases)

Sort out whats going where and just plan where things should go.  Don't just throw it all in there.  Secure it.  Don't be afraid to use rope, tape and bungee cords etc to secure things inside the van.

• Like 2

I don't know what kind of car you have, but if you 19 guitars and 4 amps I don't think making two trips is the solution.  Are you using movers for furniture and clothes and dishes and stuff?  Let them pack and move the guitars and amps, they are pros and if there is any damage it will be insured.

8 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I don't know what kind of car you have, but if you 19 guitars and 4 amps I don't think making two trips is the solution.  Are you using movers for furniture and clothes and dishes and stuff?  Let them pack and move the guitars and amps, they are pros and if there is any damage it will be insured.

...and the insurance.

32 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Not using movers. I’m only taking clothes, pictures and geet-tars and fly rods and reels. This is a family home that will not be sold and I have  a brother who lives 6 miles away and he will tend to it.  When I move into my new home I’m buying everything for the house new. I will decorate it accordingly. Lots of Gibson guitars! 
I told my son 5 years ago in Gatlinburg if I live to retirement I’m moving to East Tennessee. It’s a beautiful place, folks are friendly and I’m going to do my best to convert Vol fans to Tide fans. The latter may not work out so well.

Edited by Navy Vet.

Just now, Twang Gang said:

OK no movers - understandable.  But I would still rent a U-Haul as suggested with some pads and take them all in one trip.

Forget about converting Tenn. fans to Bama - not going to happen.

Naw, I probably have a better chance trying to domesticate Auburn fans.😁

13 minutes ago, Navy Vet. said:

Not using movers. I’m only taking clothes, pictures and geet-tars and fly rods and reels. This is a family home that will not be sold and I have  a brother who lives 6 miles away and he will tend to it.  When I move into my new home I’m buying everything for the house new. I will decorate it accordingly. Lots of Gibson guitars! 
I told my son 5 years ago in Gatlinburg if I live to retirement I’m moving to East Tennessee. It’s a beautiful place, folks are friendly and I’m going to do my best to convert Vol fans to Tide fans. The latter may not work out so well.

Have you ever been to  Laurels in Tenn. It's outside of Johnson City?

Just now, Big Bill said:

Have you ever been to  Laurels in Tenn. It's outside of Johnson City?

No this past weekend was the first time to visit JC. It’s actually a very nice city, the area is beautiful and close to NC , Virginia, Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mountains and trout fishing.  I won’t know a soul when I move there, but I’m sure I’ll meet some folks.

4 minutes ago, Navy Vet. said:

No this past weekend was the first time to visit JC. It’s actually a very nice city, the area is beautiful and close to NC , Virginia, Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mountains and trout fishing.  I won’t know a soul when I move there, but I’m sure I’ll meet some folks.

My bride is from Asheville, NC, just outside of JC. You picked a nice place to retire. Warren Haynes lives very close, if you're a fan like I am. JC is pretty laid back.

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 1

Just now, Big Bill said:

My bride is from Asheville, NC, just outside of JC. You picked a nice place to retire. Warren Haynes lives very close, if you're a fan like I am.

Big fan, love the ‘Mule.  I didn’t know this until this past weekend. Johnson City is the birthplace of Mtn. Dew.