Gibson Brands Forums

Funky smell

killyridols

If it's the guitar itself, let it air out a few days, maybe give it a good slightly-damp wetdown followed by a rubdown with some pump polish. If it's the case that's actually trapping the funk, lay the case out open on a sunny hot day for a few hours in the sunlight, then spray a little Febreze in it, then vacuum it out really well. Sometimes the case is the culprit, I've found. I have to go through the ritual after the shows in the really smoky bars....ugh.

H-Bomb

I quit smoking last Jan. 1st.('08) and my guitars smell like cigarettes after playing the smoking bars. It's weird how much that smoke can attach to a solid body. My ES-339 is the one I worry about..... It's semi hollow, and getting a lung full.... (kidding)..

Ha....

Murph.

Thanks for the advice' date=' i'm letting it air at the moment. Got it off a Scotsman(sweaty)-no offense, but i think it's kind of apt. What about the pickups? It's not as loud as my Les Paul, and am wondering about changing the pickups. Any suggestions? [/quote']

57's definitly!! no other options. wot? WHY ARE YOU READING THIS?? GO GET 57'S!!! NOW! c ya dude!

57's definitly!! no other options. wot? WHY ARE YOU READING THIS?? GO GET 57'S!!! NOW! c ya dude!

He's right, I've grown to dislike the '57 Classics less after hearing overly-hot pickups in a lot of my friends' guitars and realizing how it robs your sweetness...and too-weak pickups suck as bad. I would suggest a '57 for the neck and either a '57 Plus or an Angus signature for the bridge. Great balance of output that way.

H-Bomb

I was joking about the roach clip......

Well......

Ahem.......

Murph.......

I find roach clips to be obsolete after I started putting filters in my joints. I tear a piece off my cigarette box and roll it up. Then I stuff it in one of of the joint. I make it long enough to hold comfortably without burning my fingers or mouth at any time.

I prefer glass, especially when its combined with water.

In terms of your smell I would try what Hbomb said and Febreeze the case. After a few weeks of this it'll probably cure it. I'd even spray a little cologne in there.

Hello there,

Funnily enough I own and regularly use a 1987 Gibson SG 62 REISSUE as well...can't comment on the smell but as for the pickups I looked at my neck pickup recently (had never taken it out after 6 years of owning it) and it was basically a standard gibson pickup of the time so far as I can tell with the gibson patent numbers stamped on the bottom (much the same as what I found in my 76 Les Paul) I've always found the pups on this guitar to be fine for what I use it for (electric slide a la allmans type of thing) but I suppose it depends on what type of music you play. As for the Classic 57's I have 2 of them in my newish les paul...they are certainly not as aggressive as the ceramic 498/496 (i had those in a studio and hated 'em)..but they are a little more powerful than something like a duncan antiquity humbucker...they send my amp into overdrive a little earlier but they're not really that different at all to those on my sg...if you're after a radical change I wouldn't have thought that the 57's would be that different than the stock ones..but then again all our ears are different..that's what I found anyway...enjoy the sg by the way...i got mine of ebay for 600 notes and it is one of the best guitars i've ever had.. a real hunk of wood !

I too have a slightly odd smell but mine is from a new guitar and case and it is definately the case at fault, not the guitar. Anything left stored, particularly in cool/dark/slightly moist conditions like a cellar or attic is going to end up smelling a bit funky but cloth/leather more so than hard wood. Sunlight usually does the trick.

Try putting some ammonia in a bowl and placing that in the case. Close the case for a night open it (careful not to spill the ammonia) and let it air out. As for the guitar itself you could try wiping it down with diluted vinegar and leave it out of the case overnight. then wipe it down with a damp clothe and polish it. Your case should be sired our and smelling like ammonia!

Archived