Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Heard from Digger lately?

IanHenry

I don't come to this or any other forums much any longer but I was curious on whether Digger was impacted by the fire.  So glad to learn you and yours are safe.  Very sorry to learn you lost a lot but happy your actual home is OK.  Going to be tough with re-starting again.

It has been awful as in effect the entire eastern seaboard of Australia from the Queensland border down and through to Victoria is ablaze.  Three firefighters have died as have people who got trapped tying to defend their homes or couldn't get out in time.

My area has been covered by smoke haze for about three weeks from fires down the coast.  It's nothing compared with the hell those on the fire ground are going through.  Especially bad here last night with visibility down to less than 100 meters and it stings the eyes if you're nutty enough to go outside.  Most seem to stay indoors to try and avoid the smoke but it can be difficult to sleep at night if you like windows open.  It hits people in different ways even though they are not in direct danger.  A good neighbour across the road from me said she wakes at night with worry.  But then both she and her husband are scientists so I guess they have an appreciation of things to a greater degree than me.

Having been through the 2003 fires which hit Canberra, I am now very, very wary and have my skedaddle kit packed.  Not many places to go however, so it'll be to a local sports ground which is open and pretty much away from trees not that it will help much.  Canberra doesn't have many exits points as they all go into and through bush which is the potential danger.  Other neighbours seem relaxed.  That or they are drunk.

Anyways, good to know your OK Dig.  Take care.

19 hours ago, Digger said:

We lost everything but our main house!

Rozs cottage, farm shed , tractors, mower, tools all gone! Our house is still standing by some miracle.

Sarsfield the small rural hamlet we live in is all  but gone, our court is all but gone!

Total devastation!

However we are alright and we have insurance.

Thank God your house was saved! I wish the rest of your farm would've been. Fire is a force hard to reckon with, here's to the firemen that risked their lives to stop the destruction.

We lost everything but our main house!

Rozs cottage, farm shed , tractors, mower, tools all gone! Our house is still standing by some miracle.

Sarsfield the small rural hamlet we live in is all  but gone, our court is all but gone!

Total devastation!

However we are alright and we have insurance.

So grateful for the kindness  of people here and thank you all so much.

We are OK but haven’t been able to get in to see the damage as there are still outbreaks of fire and property losses. We will have another go soon. I guess it will hit me hardest when we confront the losses!

However it can and will be replaced in time!

Thank you all again.

True that Dig. Ours (Mount Nardi Fire) apparently was a reignition of a fire from back in September thought to be out but it keeps smouldering in roots underground and in ancient logs until you get a windy enough day.

Ffs - As I typed that the big helicopter with the water bucket just flew overhead - must be on again round here somewhere. Can't see any fires out the back but it has been quite windy today - hopefully just a flare up.

hope your place is ok - I've stopped watching the news but I understand it's really bad down there mate.

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

True that Dig. Ours (Mount Nardi Fire) apparently was a reignition of a fire from back in September thought to be out but it keeps smouldering in roots underground and in ancient logs until you get a windy enough day.

Ffs - As I typed that the big helicopter with the water bucket just flew overhead - must be on again round here somewhere. Can't see any fires out the back but it has been quite windy today - hopefully just a flare up.

hope your place is ok - I've stopped watching the news but I understand it's really bad down there mate.

Yeah Armageddon comes to mind!

As you know Scalesie, country folk stick together and are fairly resilient. 

We will recover...eventually.

Thanks Bob,

Thats all just part of our way of life here though seldom (if ever) have we experienced the breadth of fires that we are experiencing now. I fear that the whole east coast is going to burn until there is nothing left. This is a massive hit to our lovely wildlife too.

We are going to try to ingress via back roads today avoiding police roadblocks, to see it for ourselves, maybe we will be able to sleep from then on, maybe it will be worse? Our next door neighbour tells us that the house should be safe as there is nothing left to burn on the property!

We haven’t been able to locate one of our elderly neighbours as yet and just hope he made it out before his house was razed. So far we have lost 3 houses out of 7 in our court and another just around the corner.

Yes these are difficult times for us Aussies and we haven’t even hit the warmest months yet.

Gael & I are luckier than many so very grateful.

1 hour ago, Digger said:

Thanks Bob,

Thats all just part of our way of life here though seldom (if ever) have we experienced the breadth of fires that we are experiencing now. I fear that the whole east coast is going to burn until there is nothing left. This is a massive hit to our lovely wildlife too.

We are going to try to ingress via back roads today avoiding police roadblocks, to see it for ourselves, maybe we will be able to sleep from then on, maybe it will be worse? Our next door neighbour tells us that the house should be safe as there is nothing left to burn on the property!

We haven’t been able to locate one of our elderly neighbours as yet and just hope he made it out before his house was razed. So far we have lost 3 houses out of 7 in our court and another just around the corner.

Yes these are difficult times for us Aussies and we haven’t even hit the warmest months yet.

Glad you guys are ok.  I can't imagine how horrible it is, loss of life because of it. 

9 hours ago, Digger said:

Thanks Bob,

You mean your neighbor stayed home while the fires raged there? It is nice however that you can talk to them. Pretty brave though to have stayed home. Can't imagine all of the wildlife destroyed. 

After a frustrating morning trying to get into our property yesterday we were finally advised that a permit was available. We did that and were allowed in and were amazed at the devastation  we found!  Our lovely rural hamlet Sarsfield is a war zone, in some streets almost all houses are gone, in others the odd house has gone, in others most are gone with the odd one inexplicably still standing.

We were one of the lucky ones. Everything o; our property is devastated except for our house. Sleepers in a garden bed behind the house are burned out, our front door mat has had several ember burns, that how close it came to taking our home

We are incredibly lucky. The rest of the place is like the surface if the moon! I worked my hairy little bum off earlier in the year to accumulate enough firewood for the next season and was feeling pleased with myself....it’s all gone!

I have nothing for winter now. The hydraulic splitter was destroyed in my shed, it will have to be replaced as I’m not. able to split by hand these days.

Ironically my old tractor and trailer survived out in the open whereas my new tractor is a total write off as we’re all my other major bits of machinery that were  in the shed..

Compared to many of our neighbours we are incredibly lucky! The old bloke 3 doors down is unaccounted for and his house totalled and of course we are worried about him. Others are also unaccounted for but hopefully they just haven’t thought to register with authorities.

It will take years to recover but we are a close knit community and will help each other.

I consider myself to be a lucky Digger to still have a house. We still have dangerous days ahead as tomorrow looks horrendous. The only thing left on our place to burn is the house so hopefully we will get through that too.

I can visualise the whole east coast being burned as  a group of fires join to become the biggest fire Australia has ever experienced.

3 years of drought h ave caused things to be so bad. Mother Nature  is getting back at us for our neglect of this planet, and Mother Nature always wins!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Digger said:

After a frustrating morning trying to get into our property yesterday we were finally advised that a permit was available. We did that and were allowed in and were amazed at the devastation  we found!  Our lovely rural hamlet Sarsfield is a war zone, in some streets almost all houses are gone, in others the odd house has gone, in others most are gone with the odd one inexplicably still standing.

We were one of the lucky ones. Everything o; our property is devastated except for our house. Sleepers in a garden bed behind the house are burned out, our front door mat has had several ember burns, that how close it came to taking our home

We are incredibly lucky. The rest of the place is like the surface if the moon! I worked my hairy little bum off earlier in the year to accumulate enough firewood for the next season and was feeling pleased with myself....it’s all gone!

I have nothing for winter now. The hydraulic splitter was destroyed in my shed, it will have to be replaced as I’m not. able to split by hand these days.

Ironically my old tractor and trailer survived out in the open whereas my new tractor is a total write off as we’re all my other major bits of machinery that were  in the shed..

Compared to many of our neighbours we are incredibly lucky! The old bloke 3 doors down is unaccounted for and his house totalled and of course we are worried about him. Others are also unaccounted for but hopefully they just haven’t thought to register with authorities.

It will take years to recover but we are a close knit community and will help each other.

I consider myself to be a lucky Digger to still have a house. We still have dangerous days ahead as tomorrow looks horrendous. The only thing left on our place to burn is the house so hopefully we will get through that too.

I can visualise the whole east coast being burned as  a group of fires join to become the biggest fire Australia has ever experienced.

3 years of drought h ave caused things to be so bad. Mother Nature  is getting back at us for our neglect of this planet, and Mother Nature always wins!

Ive been looking on the news,the smoke cloud is HUGE, God help the Australian people. 

God help us indeed!

Today could be a repeat of New Year’s day with terrible heat & winds! Fires will regenerate and spread today. 3 of the biggest fires will likely join  today and will be unstoppable. Not sure where it’s all going to end to be honest, it’s all new ground.

We’ve had  fires outbreak again around us yesterday & this morning and conditions are going to have embers from  smouldering stumps flying everywhere today.. 

We have 28 people missing in this state inc. our elderly neighbour 2 doors away. There have been a number of fatalities sadly.

So it’s a hard time to be an Aussie right now.

As always we appreciate your kindness and it does help, thanks to you all.

We are better of than many.

Thanks Jim.

Stay safe Dig. Looks like it's just about preserving life today. The big life-changing decisions so many will need to make are going to have to wait quite a while into the coming months, so meantime that's all you can do...keep safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Stay safe Dig. Looks like it's just about preserving life today. The big life-changing decisions so many will need to make are going to have to wait quite a while into the coming months, so meantime that's all you can do...keep safe.

It’s bloody awful her at midday! Hot and strong gusty southerlies.

We are safe and comfortable  at our daughters place by the water. I have no intention of going outside today!

There are fires igniting around our property but the only thing that can burn now is our house, and that’s less likely , the fire having been through already. It’s no guarantee on a day like this though!

Anyway! like I said your comments are greatly appreciated and we are safe.

It will be a long road to functional recovery.

Does anyone know of a relief fund we can give donations to that won't waste the money on management but put the money where it is needed? It's so hard on the web, I see lots of places to give, but I'm sure some are scams, others top heavy in management. I'd like something that helps the firefighters and the victims.

I have so many find memories of Australia, and I see absolutely beautiful places like Mallacoota, Kagaroo Island, and so many others on the news and my heart breaks for the landscape, wildlife and mostly the Australian People who I found to be some of the nicest people I've ever met.

When Dorian hit the Bahamas, I donated my cabin tent, lots of non-perishable food, and other essentials. But they were taking it over in a boat. That's not practical from Florida to Oz. The fuel used contributes to the problems. But if there is a good relief fund, I'd be happy to contribute what I can.

Hang in there Rob and Gael, your lives are the most important things you have, and thankfully you have that. I know you won't take unnecessary chances and you will face the road ahead methodically.

Bob

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Does anyone know of a relief fund we can give donations to that won't waste the money on management but put the money where it is needed? It's so hard on the web, I see lots of places to give, but I'm sure some are scams, others top heavy in management. I'd like something that helps the firefighters and the victims.

I have so many find memories of Australia, and I see absolutely beautiful places like Mallacoota, Kagaroo Island, and so many others on the news and my heart breaks for the landscape, wildlife and mostly the Australian People who I found to be some of the nicest people I've ever met.

When Dorian hit the Bahamas, I donated my cabin tent, lots of non-perishable food, and other essentials. But they were taking it over in a boat. That's not practical from Florida to Oz. The fuel used contributes to the problems. But if there is a good relief fund, I'd be happy to contribute what I can.

Hang in there Rob and Gael, your lives are the most important things you have, and thankfully you have that. I know you won't take unnecessary chances and you will face the road ahead methodically.

Bob

You may wish to try:

https://www.redcross.org.au/

Oops, forgot.

If you want to listen to some news then probably stream Australian Broadcasting Commission:

ABC South Eastern NSW and ABC Gippsland

For maps

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/

Edited by SmokeyGhost

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

Bob

Bob it’s a kick in the bum for sure but Gael & I will be OK thanks, it’s not going to stop us.

Lovely sentiments about wanting to help but I don’t know who you can contribute too at this stage. My needs are not for money but labour as I’m very limited nowadays. Hopefully that will come locally, if not I will  do what I can. Losing all my firewood a few months from winter is a problem and I have asked our RSL for help. I hate asking for help.

I’m heading out this morning as looters were seen a few doors away.

• Like 1