Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
BarryD

String "feel" question?

Recommended Posts

Do strings of the same gauge but different brands have different feel?

I am trying to find some strings that have a soft feel for my K. Yairi. I have 12-53"s on it and i like the sound but they feel really stiff. They are Pierce 12-53s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunbeam 12s are good.....yep.  But the lightest "feel" of all (in my experience) are Martin Titaniums.  Expensive, yes, but they feel unlike anything else out there.......out of the package they're like cooked spaghetti noodles.  Nice, dry thumpy tone as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you're not dead set on bronze based, ever hear of Silk and Steel strings?    That may be what your looking for.

Also have you tried Elixir Nanos yet?   They are coated and not loved by everyone.  The coating might be the feel you're looking for with a bronze based string set and they have a very long usable life span.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kidblast said:

if you're not dead set on bronze based, ever hear of Silk and Steel strings?    That may be what your looking for.

Also have you tried Elixir Nanos yet?   They are coated and not loved by everyone.  The coating might be the feel you're looking for with a bronze based string set and they have a very long usable life span.

 

There are also the John Pearce bronze and silk strings.  They have a really thin core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

But the lightest "feel" of all (in my experience) are Martin Titaniums.  Expensive, yes, but they feel unlike anything else out there.......out of the package they're like cooked spaghetti noodles.  Nice, dry thumpy tone as well.

Whoa! Those are indeed some pricey strings. Are you using those strings in any of your recent videos that you've shared? How does their longevity compare with other strings that you've used?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to play La Bella silk & steel on a Martin I had in the 70's.  They did have a kind of soft feel. They were the cheapest strings on the rack back then. Price a little steep now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go silk & steel or silk & bronze just remember it's something completely else - an another game, , , or field.

You may also wanna try Martin Flexcores. A soft or mellow version of ordinary bronze or phosphor ditto. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the new Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings. The tension is adjusted by making the windings of a larger size wire and the core smaller. PROS Great feel and the sound is excellent.

CONS kind of pricey and the string is a little harder on the finger tips But I think the volume across all the strings is worth it. Supposed to last a long time as well. About $18.00

 

Edited by Holiday Hoser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jvi said:

often  a truss rod adjustment has given a better string feel to me...

Jeps ^Micro truss rod adjustment is a crucial factor in getting the action/set-up hyper right. It shouldn't be feared or avoided - nor overdone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also consider nickel-wound acoustic gauge strings.  I've been using John Pearse .012-054s on my J-45 for five or six years now and love them.  The nickel is less dense than bronze and they just feel lighter.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 2:32 PM, rustystrings said:

Also consider nickel-wound acoustic gauge strings.  I've been using John Pearse .012-054s on my J-45 for five or six years now and love them.  The nickel is less dense than bronze and they just feel lighter.  

 

Ditto on the Pearse nickel....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 1:16 AM, Guth said:

Whoa! Those are indeed some pricey strings. Are you using those strings in any of your recent videos that you've shared? How does their longevity compare with other strings that you've used?

Yeah - in Canada they want $53.99 for a set!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not so sure there is a great difference between brands, but there is definitely a great difference between acoustic string types, from phosphor bronze, coated and uncoated, to nickel bronze, to silk and steel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...