Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman worth buying?

yoshiii1

I want to buy a Gibson Chet Atkins country Gentleman.

I found one at Sam Ash. It is 2,499.99 dollars. 

I has these changes and damages: tuning keys tightened too much and finish is cracked around the keys. The bigsby arm was changed from the flat bar type to the wire type. The truss rod cover with the Chet Atkins name has been changed to a blank cover. The bridge is glued to the body. Belt buckle rash on the back. Various damages and nicks.

Ive seen the guitar in person.

https://reverb.com/item/28664298-gibson-chet-atkins-country-gentleman

Is this worth buying? Should I look for one not changed so much?

Personally, for what they're asking, I'd hold off & look for a cleaner example.

Of the Gibson CA models, I happen to like the Tennessean more - primarily due to the extra frets clear of the body.  Over a decade ago, I purchased a 1990 Tennessean, which was the initial year for that model (silver pickguard & TRC, no armrest).  That said, the Country Gent is very cool, and I wouldn't mind having one of those, too! 

• Thanks 1

For me, the feel and tone are most important.  If you've played it and you like playing it and like the tone, go for it. Not all guitars will have those characteristics. From a collector's point of view, the damages bring the value down so it might not be a good investment. But I don't know what clean ones go for. So you'll have to do some research and decide if it's worth the cost to you. 

Thorne

9 minutes ago, thornev said:

For me, the feel and tone are most important.  If you've played it and you like playing it and like the tone, go for it. Not all guitars will have those characteristics. From a collector's point of view, the damages bring the value down so it might not be a good investment. But I don't know what clean ones go for. So you'll have to do some research and decide if it's worth the cost to you. 

Thorne

I like it but I am worried that if any things need to be adjusted with the nut and or strings, intonation, that the bridge glued into place will cause problems.

I dont know if the bridge is even aligned correctly.

Can you buy conditionally? That is get a full refund if the bridge is not setup correctly and cannot be unglued?  I agree that is a concern, but there's no way to know unless you can conditionally return it or if you can bring an expert with you to examine it.  Thorne

2 hours ago, thornev said:

Can you buy conditionally? That is get a full refund if the bridge is not setup correctly and cannot be unglued?  I agree that is a concern, but there's no way to know unless you can conditionally return it or if you can bring an expert with you to examine it.  Thorne

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

I saw that guitar last week too. In the glass case when you walk in.

I have an '04.

That price would be for a mint one. IMHO I would not go over $1800

This is one of those models where there's plenty mint ones.

They have a return policy but now sure how it works for that.

Oh ok, so you saw it too. Did you play it?  

So better to look for a mint one if I am going to pay 2400 dollars?

Ok.

I wonder if the store is willing to sell the guitar for 1800 dollars.

• 3 months later...

Just for the record, fixing down the bridge was something that Chet Atkins himself always did and advocated.  He recommended nailing it down but also mentioned screwing it in and/or gluing it down.  Not saying I recommend that, but Chet did which I am sure is likely the reason that the previous owner did.  Seems "back in the day" the airlines were always damaging Chet's guitars and he claimed that he had to re-affix the bridge every time he got to a show.  I am not at a place where I can easily Google it to provide proof but a google search will bring that right up.  All of that said $2400 is a little high for one that is not exactly how you want it.  You should easily be able to find one for that price.

PS--for what it is worth he also always flipped the Bridge pickup.  Kind of like the "Peter Green" mod for the Les Paul only with the Bridge and not the neck.

Edited by D Big Daddy M

• 8 months later...