Gibson Brands Forums

Strange defect on Explorer USA

rickeylaveau

Hi everyone, i'm about to exchange my Les Paul Studio 1999 (way too heavy for me) with a 2009 Explorer. The owner of the Explo sent me pictures of the guitar and i noticed this defect on the back side of the keyboard. He told me that you can't feel it by touching, that is not a bump (he informed me about all the others bumps and scratches) and that he never noticed it before taking flash photos for me. It looks like something that involves finish more than a bump (he said that you cant notice it by touching it).

Is it wise to exchange my Les Paul for that guitar (if it sounds nice)? 

Thanks everyone

Best regards 

Screenshot_20191025-163521_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20191025-163513_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like 1

When you buy someone's guitar you are getting a guitar with a history, a past life. It depends on your own tolerance level in what's acceptable to you. If the guitar plays and sounds nice and the price is right then it comes down to the eternal question: Do I want this guitar. Only you can answer this question.

that almost looks like it spent some time leaning on the neck rest of a guitar stand that was not nitro friendly, but it's up WAY too high for where a normal neck rest would sit.  there's some other things there to that look odd.. so i doubt it's that

Edited by kidblast

7 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

When you buy someone's guitar you are getting a guitar with a history, a past life. It depends on your own tolerance level in what's acceptable to you. If the guitar plays and sounds nice and the price is right then it comes down to the eternal question: Do I want this guitar. Only you can answer this question.

You are right! But my question is: by what you can see, is this defect hiding some structural problems or only esthetic (i dont mind esthetic, just cant understand if it's a  structural problem way worse or just a defect of the nitro)?

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I'd want to see that one in person.

How could you NOT feel that?

It's what i was thinking too. Unluckly im going to see it in person only if i'm interested in the exchange, and i was asking if any of you had some experience in something like this. Now the actual owner has brought the guitar to his liuther, and also him cant tell what it was at first sight (so hes analyzing it now) because its strange that you cant feel it by touching it.  I show the pics to my liuther who instead is sure is a repaired bump, but i'm pretty sure that the owner is honest in telling me that he didnt repair that (as he was honest about every other scratches).  I'm confused, but i'd love doing that change. I'm only scared about potential structural fails of the keyboard...

20191026_125835.jpg

It does not look to be in a place where one would find structural damage, so even if you can feel it, it should not take much to smooth it up.  It is, after all, used.  If everything else checks out and it is a "good one", I wouldn't let that stop me.  Are you sure that Explorer is "way lighter" than your Studio??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wmachine said:

It does not look to be in a place where one would find structural damage, so even if you can feel it, it should not take much to smooth it up.  It is, after all, used.  If everything else checks out and it is a "good one", I wouldn't let that stop me.  Are you sure that Explorer is "way lighter" than your Studio??

Thank you, my friend. My studio is 9.9 lbs,  the sound is huge but also her weight. This 2009 explo should be way more lighter... 

A little update

While i was searching the internet for this strange situation, i found that vinyl straps can damage the  finish of the guitar, with marks like the one on the explorer i posted. Its something like vinyl create a chemical reaction that soften and melt the lacquer especially when the guitar rests in her bag and gets warmer, even if not touching it only by its gas. So freaking strange. By the way, if its this kind of situation, will it be difficult/onerous having it repaired? 

Thanks, friends 

Edited by rickeylaveau
Mistake

I agree with dh2087 on not swaping it, it could be the strap thing you mentioned (it happened to me to a telecaster with a nylon strap, the strap sew pattern got "stamped" onto the nitro, it didnt bother me cuz my telecaster is al busted and looks cool)..BUT in my opinion if there is something that doesnt seem right i would just hold on to my guitar and wait for another one. There's a lot of honest people out there that tell you the things as they are, but also a lot of dishonest folks that just dont care. But its up to you, i mean, is it a long drive? i think you have the right to go check it out without feeling compromised to exchanging them

• Like 1