Gibson Brands Forums

Gigging the SJ200 Golden Age For The First Time

drathbun

Last Friday night my wife Winn and I played the "Free For All Fridays" gig at the Tribal Connections cafe in Okotoks Alberta. Once a month this small store/bistro/club opens their stage to locals who wish to perform anything they wish; standup comedy, poetry readings, music, rap, whatever. I played my Hummingbird 12 string there last month. This time I brought my SJ200 Golden Age. This guitar has no internal pickup so I used the iRig Stage pickup system. I cut a hole in a feedback buster to accommodate the iRig and it worked pretty nicely. The feedback I got was from the stage mics not the pickup.

When I got there, I noticed they had added to the guitars they put out for anyone to come up and use. They added a very nice looking and sounding, sunburst, Gibson Songwriter. Next month I might leave my guitars at home and play the Songwriter. I owned one a few years ago and loved it.

FWIW, here is a video of our performance mistakes and all.

On 10/26/2019 at 3:39 AM, billroy said:

Nice Doug - That's awesome you and your wife are playing together!

Thanks, Bill. We've been singing together for many years, usually at parties and get-togethers for friends and family. 

On 10/26/2019 at 7:23 AM, j45nick said:

Two great songs! Really nice, Doug.

Thanks, Nick. We had three prepared but they needed time for the rappers. 😞

On 10/26/2019 at 8:07 AM, PatriotsBiker said:

Very well done, Doug! It's always nice to see and hear an SJ in skilled hands. You and you wife perform well together, too. Very fluid and natural.

Thanks, PB! The more we practice, the less rehearsed we seem! 😉

Very good performance by you both. Really fun. The Dimming of the Day was a nice surprise. I love Richard Thompson, and your version was a fine interpretation. 

Oh, your comic timing is good too! "We're known as...Doug and Winn." Ha!

Red 333

Edited by Red 333

7 hours ago, Red 333 said:

Very good performance by you both. Really fun. The Dimming of the Day was a nice surprise. I love Richard Thompson, and your version was a fine interpretation. 

Oh, your comic timing is good too! "We're known as...Doug and Winn." Ha!

Red 333

Thanks, Red! Later on the MC was going through the crowd with a mic asking people for jokes (as the next act was setting up). So I got a chance to tell one of my favourite Stephen Wright jokes... "All here who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand."

7 hours ago, Seagull said:

Nice!  great job

Thanks, Seagull!