Gibson Brands Forums

Alvin Lee 335

Twang Gang

So another signature model announced, the Alvin Lee 335.  I have been a big Alvin fan since about 1970, loved Ten Years After Undead album. "homina, homina, homina, homina Woochopper's Ball".  

They describe the guitar, but don't tell too many details.  Has a single coil added in the middle, but don't describe how it is switched on or off and in what combinations?  Supposed to be his exact specs, but I'm not so sure that Custombuckers were being used back in the late 60s and early 70s ?  

Don't mention a price, but I guess if you have to ask you can't afford one.  Only making 50 so we know it will be expensive.  Maybe I'll sell all my guitars and order one and then tell everyone I bought Alvin's actual guitar from his estate.  Has all the scratches and stuff so hard to prove me wrong.  Still won't be able to play like him though and getting way too old to carry around 3 or 4 Marshall stacks.

I really like the general direction Gibson has been going this year with back to basics Les Pauls and SGs, but all these artist models seem unnecessary, guess they have to have some high ticket, high profit units? 

Edited by Twang Gang

The "Big Red Story" interesting.  I was not at Woodstock, but saw the film a few times.  Saw Ten Years After in Person a few times after 1970 and didn't recall there being a Bigsby on the guitar.  Turns out he removed it late 69 so I'm not crazy ☺️

On 10/25/2019 at 6:25 PM, mihcmac said:

... But I think $7,299.00 is a lot for a replica..

It’s a hell of a lot for any guitar.  I cap any purchase at 2K,  I’ve never been close to being an accomplished guitarist and I consider any guitar priced over 2K is a waste on me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navy Vet. said:

It’s a hell of a lot for any guitar.  I cap any purchase at 2K,  I’ve never been close to being an accomplished guitarist and I consider any guitar priced over 2K is a waste on me. 

I agree, I would prefer one in new condition for less and age it myself. Alvin Lee was very good at what he did, definitely speedy. One of Woodstock's exceptional lead guitarist..

Edited by mihcmac

On 10/27/2019 at 10:02 AM, SteveFord said:

I can't imagine TYA without Alvin Lee.

I did see Alvin with Ten Years Later and he was just tremendous, he made everything look so easy.

I saw him a couple times in later years.  One he had a larger band (with horns and girl back-up singers etc) and that was really entertaining.  Might that have been the 10 Years Later?   Also saw him once with just a 3 piece and if I recall his son was playing drums.