Gibson Brands Forums

The PRS that sounds like a 50s Burst??

Rabs

All I'm going to say is that folks are trying to get close to what they think their an idea of a 1959 Les Paul should sound like.

It's a Dead Donkey and I really don't buy into any of this marketing crap.

YMMV and, my word, good luck to you if you suck this stuff up.

I guess I'm outta here. So long and it's been a hoot!

Pip.

Well replicating a PAF really can't be that difficult, you just need to use the correct materials and use the exact method that Gibson used in the 1950's, it's not rocket science is it!

Regarding the age of the timber for the guitar, the acoustic world has been using many verity's of artificially aging it for several years now, I'm sure the electric manufacturers can learn from them (that's if they really want to produce an exact replica of the mythical burst).  

PRS just doesn't do it for me. I tried a number of them a while back. Most of the ones I played, I played without an amp and just didn't like the way they felt in my hands. I did watch the video and I didn't think they sounded the same at all with all the instruments being compared. At least, in my old ears, not any more than any guitar would with similar woods, similar humbuckers and same amp and settings would sound the same. It's also been said and proven that even a variety of 58, 59, 60 Les Pauls have different sounding wood, pickups, tone. I understand the search for an awesome tone but I'm still not sold on PRS.  

They have their place. I have USA and MIK ones. Neither sound like a Gibson.

I prefer the MIK of the two. In fact, IMO Korea produce better builds than the America Core line.

I have Gibsons for a Gibson sound and a Gibson playing experience. There is plenty of room for all sorts of guitar makers. Diversity enriches us. 

One more thing. No way would this discussion go unpunished on the official PRS forums. Its a police state over there! Thank you for your enlightened attitude Gibson.

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

There is plenty of room for all sorts of guitar makers. Diversity enriches us. 

One more thing. No way would this discussion go unpunished on the official PRS forums. Its a police state over there! Thank you for your enlightened attitude Gibson.

I agree completely. I don't know who started this whole "this guitar brand is better than that one." I'll play any brand/guitar I want and like including Gibson, Ibanez, Fender, Schecter, etc. I really don't care what some internet weenie says about my choice of guitars. I play them and that should be enough. I don't see why people get so bent out of shape over someone's preference of guitar or brands.

I don't always understand some folks dislike for PRS'.  but they have as much right to their opinion as I do mine. and their opinions mean just as much & as less as mine. I used to rag on PRS until I got one. the workmanship is excellent. and they have their own thing going from a tone standpoint.  comparing one manufacturer to another is a no win situation.  and while my Custom 24 is beautiful, action is perfect, workmanship 2nd to none, I still reach for my Firebird or Les Pauls more times than not. 

• Like 1

Jason Lollar about pickups, on the Doug and Pat Show...  Nice guitar playing towards the end... 

Talks about experimenting with windings, pole magnets, staples and types of single coils, P90's, PAF's and Teisco...

Edited by mihcmac

I like Paul's guitars.  They are beautiful pieces of work most of the time.  They sound their own thing.  I play whatever I want and I spend whatever I want on whatever it is I want. I take it out and use it and recoup whatever I've put into it less depreciation, with no investment value.

I have never owned a Paul Reed because I do not like the necks.  I have given guitars by other makers including Fedner a try even though I disliked the necks and it is a dead end street, they always end up going.  Hated the neck on my SG.  Do Not Like the new Fender Elites with the mystical multiple Rainbow and Unicorn compound radius at all.  Not good neck, not buying it.  I got too much to do up there to be futzing around with an unhappy making neck.

rct

Edited by rct
fat fingered 7 thumb typo
  • Like 2

I don't see where anybody here is hating on any particular brand of guitar with the exception of the trolls that pass through here. I will say that most of us prefer a brand over another for whatever reason they have.  For myself, I prefer to stick to the iconic guitars I grew up listening to and lusting after.

I used to HATE a Telecaster, thought them ugly and twangy. Now I love them and own one. I still think they are ugly, but I love playing the hell out of mine.

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 4

Yeah, I love my Tele and my Carvin and my 335 and Epi Dot, but it seems these days I gravitate toward my LP Standard even though the sound or playability might not be my favorite.  I actually think the PRSs I'm familiar with  have more similarities to Carvins than Gibsons. If I want simulate a vintage PAF sound, I can always get aftermarket pickups, modify the electronics, and put them in an Epiphone.

Edited by zigzag

3 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

I'm  the only person in the world that can take a 10K  dollar guitar and make it sound like crap. This my drummer told me just last week.  I tell you,  I don't get any respect.

No, you're the SECOND person in the world that can take a 10K dollar guitar and make it sound like crap.

• Haha 3