Gibson Brands Forums

The PRS that sounds like a 50s Burst??

Rabs

I actually like and own PRS guitars, including a McCarty and a McCarty 594 double cut (if I want a single cut I prefer to go with a LP). They’re great. However, my R9 is still my favorite. I love Tim Pierce, but this video, albeit entertaining, was quite pointless. At the end of the day the differences do not render one better than the other, because different people have different tastes. 

Paul is of the opinion that having “all” the frequencies is a good thing. He will emphasize some frequencies and taper down other so it’s not an all flat and boring eq, but they are all there. That’s the “sounds the same but just more” argument. However, to some they might  sound almost hi-fi, if that makes sense. Not necessarily sterile, but loosing some of the quirks that makes a LP sound so organic.

Personally, I prefer the sound and feel of my R9, but I have to admit, those 594s are phenomenal guitars. Gibson just has a knack to making guitars that are just alive. For instance, I have an L-00 studio and had a Martin OMC-18e, which I parted with to help me pay for my R9. On paper the Martin was a better guitar, but there was something about the L-00 that makes it special. The thing just feels alive and just sounded and played better to me. Yeah, there are some dogs out there, but when you find the one, it’s just hard to compete. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2

On 10/30/2019 at 1:58 PM, Big Bill said:

I used to HATE a Telecaster, thought them ugly and twangy. Now I love them and own one. I still think they are ugly, but I love playing the hell out of mine.

Snap! It wasn't long ago either. I was 'chastised' right here for admitting I'd never played a Tele and saying how ugly I found them. 

I tried out a American Elite Thinline, and adored the tone. Only problem was string spacing (usual Fender thing); cant play 'em! So I now have a MIJ 'copy'. 

• Like 1

I have never thought that I sounded good playing a PRS...they are certainly pretty guitars though! I kind of think of them like "Super Strats"; some folks sound great playing them, just not me. I can't really put my finger on the reason why. If I'm going to spend $1000 or more  on a guitar, it's gonna be a Gibson...in my opinion, Gibson makes, and has made, the most beautiful guitars ever produced! I do love the sound and versatility of my Strat, though!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, G Mac said:

I have never thought that I sounded good playing a PRS...they are certainly pretty guitars though! I kind of think of them like "Super Strats"; some folks sound great playing them, just not me. I can't really put my finger on the reason why. If I'm going to spend $1000 or more  on a guitar, it's gonna be a Gibson...in my opinion, Gibson makes, and has made, the most beautiful guitars ever produced! I do love the sound and versatility of my Strat, though!

giphy.gif

I just had a severe GAS attack, I bought a thinline Tele with P90's, a very Gibsony one.. Similar to my 11lb mahogany G&L Junior, the thinline ash body should be much lighter, it should arrive in a few weeks.. 

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Big Bill said:

PICS!!!

Ok.. its an unbranded knockoff of the Indonesian built Fender JA-90 below with a 24.7" scale set neck.... I will post pic's after i get it...

Fender-Jim-Adkins-JA-90-Telecaster-Thinl

My G&L below is really well built with excellent hardware and a 25.5" bolt-on neck, but I don't have enough naproxen to play an 11lb guitar for long. The Mahogany body is made of about 1.25" thick equally sized blocks laminated horizontally, making a very nice grain pattern on the front and back. These Indonesian built ASAT Junior II's can be found brand new on eBay for $469.99....   

KVALE3C.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

On 11/1/2019 at 7:21 PM, G Mac said:

The SE range is worth a look. I have no idea what the Indonesian and Chinese ones are like (other than hearsay: which is positive), but the MIKs are not only excellent, but IMHO better than the Core USA range. However, they are the more expensive of the SEs. 

I have both a MIK SE Custom24 and a (Core produced) USA CE24. The USA model is fine, but it will not set up as finely as the MIK, nor does it sound quite as good (same pickup design 85/15s but the MIK has the cheaper 'S' Asian versions). That could be down to ordinary stock variation. However, all others I have played since, have generally followed the same trend. Its taken me a couple of years to finally admit this, and though I'm in the minority, I'm not alone in coming to this conclusion.  

Edited by merciful-evans

On 10/29/2019 at 12:30 PM, merciful-evans said:

.............I prefer the MIK of the two. In fact, IMO Korea produce better builds than the America Core line.

Similar in that Epiphone produces better builds than Gibson USA.  The parallel is uncanny!  I still don't understand how Gibson, even today under new management, cannot put tuners on straight and headstock/fretboard inlays without fill.  Mounting a pickguard properly so the underlying nut does not dig into the top.  Properly removing the file marks off the fretboard and binding.  Mounting a neck pick-up on an ES series guitar with a pickup ring that doesn't slope down so much that one end almost touches the strings when the height is correctly adjusted.   I better stop. 😊

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bobalu said:

Similar in that Epiphone produces better builds than Gibson USA.  The parallel is uncanny!  I still don't understand how Gibson, even today under new management, cannot put tuners on straight and headstock/fretboard inlays without fill.  Mounting a pickguard properly so the underlying nut does not dig into the top.  Properly removing the file marks off the fretboard and binding.  Mounting a neck pick-up on an ES series guitar with a pickup ring that doesn't slope down so much that one end almost touches the strings when the height is correctly adjusted.   I better stop. 😊

Very  good points.....unfortunately.   All have been raised before in the various sections of this forum over the years!

I once posted a pic of the rear headstock of a Gibson Pat Martino showing the mounting of the tuners.  Someone should have been embarrassed. 

A headstock-shaped card template would solve this particular too-common fault completely  - at almost zero cost.

Also, pickup mounting springs are obsolete IMO and I have replaced all mine with springy tubing.  Eliminated 99% of buzzes and rattles on/in my ES-175.

Plus you might want to remove your Gibson trc and inspect the nut beneath.  Chances are some of it has been machine-filed away in the manufacturing process, whether or not it made any difference to its actual fit under the cover once set.   Look at this topic, from the ES section earlier this year: 

Most of it is understandable (though not excusable)  if you look at it from the point of view that time is money, they assembly-line produce the instruments in a particular order and get so far with building a guitar that there's no going back, and no more time to correct any flaws.   But a small change in some working practices could make a big difference.

High-end guitars and other instruments from the Far East factories and manufacturers are usually flawlessly finished, so......:-k

Edited by jdgm

On 10/28/2019 at 12:55 PM, pippy said:

All I'm going to say is that folks are trying to get close to what they think their an idea of a 1959 Les Paul should sound like.

It's a Dead Donkey and I really don't buy into any of this marketing crap.

YMMV and, my word, good luck to you if you suck this stuff up.

I guess I'm outta here. So long and it's been a hoot!

Pip.

Pip?.... Your intellectual input is sorely missed... 

John.... From the Kingdom of Hawaii...

On 11/5/2019 at 6:53 PM, bobalu said:

Similar in that Epiphone produces better builds than Gibson USA...

Not sure about that.  There are Gibsons that have problems but Epiphones are a low end guitar, period.  If you want a low end guitar with a shiny poly finish that plays and sounds like a brick, buy an Epiphone.  There's a reason that Gibsons sell for like four times as much as Epiphones in a free market economy.  Epiphones have bad necks, buzzes, bad neck angles.  They're heavy and dead, they're built from a more wide range of lesser quality woods.

I bought a Gibson a few months ago that had problems.  I returned it and got one that was good.  I didn't keep it and mope.  I didn't go buy an $400 Epiphone.  That's no solution by a long shot.

11 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Not sure about that.  There are Gibsons that have problems but Epiphones are a low end guitar, period.  If you want a low end guitar with a shiny poly finish that plays and sounds like a brick, buy an Epiphone.  There's a reason that Gibsons sell for like four times as much as Epiphones in a free market economy.  Epiphones have bad necks, buzzes, bad neck angles.  They're heavy and dead, they're built from a more wide range of lesser quality woods.

I bought a Gibson a few months ago that had problems.  I returned it and got one that was good.  I didn't keep it and mope.  I didn't go buy an $400 Epiphone.  That's no solution by a long shot.

I have both Gibsons and Epiphones, either one can build an occasional bad guitar. But since 2005 with opening of the Gibson Qingdao factory building Epiphones, the consistency of quality has improved past the other earlier Asian factories. Many things have changed in the methods of construction and hardware used. My current favorite guitar is an Epi Blueshawk, which in my opinion has been improved over my Gibson BluesHawk. The Epi version is upgraded with standard P90's sounds the way a P90 guitar should and the hum cancelling works better, in addition the quality of the fit and finish is much nicer. When you go above the $500 mark Epiphones are absolutely killer..

oO91gBk.jpg

Gibsons do hold their value much better, while Epiphones resale is at about %65 of original sale price depending on model or popularity.

If you compare a below $500 new Gibson to an equal cost new Epiphone, ahh well I'll just stop there.

Edited by mihcmac

In the 90's some of the early Korean made PRS's had some cousins that were very similar and possibly from the same factory.. Like there was a Cort, Hamer Stellar and the Epiphone Del Rey below. I mention this because I saw them next to each other in a store and didn't play the PRS because I didn't like the headstock, but did play the Stellar and Del Rey. Even though the Del Rey had a bolt-on neck, it felt the best to me. I went home dreaming about it, but didn't have the funds to buy it at the time..

epiphone-del-rey-20474.jpg 

I did acquire a Hamer Stellar not to long ago and restored it to good playing condition.

web image

Edited by mihcmac