Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-00 studio

risco

Played one at Sam Ash last week. Nice guitar for the buck but it did not blow me away.

If that was my price range and I was looking for a new small body Gibson I would buy it. 

I'm not sure how the walnut fretboard will hold up.

Edited by Dave F

3 hours ago, risco said:

curious as to why you don't think the walnut fretboard will hold up...? 

Walnut is significantly softer than traditional fretboard materials such as Rosewood and (particularly) Ebony. It depends how much you're likely to be playing it. I regularly play 200+ shows a year and would expect a Walnut board to show some significant wear after two years or so. 

3 hours ago, risco said:

curious as to why you don't think the walnut fretboard will hold up...? 

Walnut is significantly softer than traditional fretboard materials such as Rosewood and (particularly) Ebony. It depends how much you're likely to be playing it. I regularly play 200+ shows a year and would expect a Walnut board to show some significant wear after two years or so. 

I recently gave a friends Taylor a tune up. Thank God they use ebony. He plays out usually 4 nights a week. The guitar is just one year old. Besides the usual adjustments, I had to dress down the frets about .016”, fix the nut slots and make new shims for the neck. He loves it for playing out. At the pace he plays, he will need a refret in a year but at least the fret board will be good. I would get some more wear resistant frets in the future. Back when I played out, I wore out a couple rosewood boards before I got an ebony board.  As much as I play nowadays a walnut board would work fine so your decision should be based on what you’re expecting out of the guitar. If you play hard it may be an issue. 

• Like 1

I have a 2018 L-00 Standard that I really like, got it a couple months ago. It has a big sound that I didn't expect from such a small guitar. Not sure if the Studio model sounds similar or not. Mahogany vs Walnut back/side woods should give different sound qualities. If you can find a store that has both it would be an interesting comparison.

Edited by TomPhx

1 hour ago, risco said:

Hi again; I don't think I can justify saving for the standard model. anyone else own the studio? Thanks.

I have yet to come across one, but would like to try one out.  In my case, besides the Gibsons in my collection, one of my favorite guitars for about five years is Epiphone’s EL-00 Pro.  It has a solid spruce top with lam sides and sounds great acoustically (with a replacement tusq saddle I put in) and really great amp’s with a Fishman Humbucker soundhole pickup rather than its built in piezo.  And, an absolutely great 60s Gibson style slim taper neck.  In my situation, I would be looking to see if the Gibson L-00 Studio, for the additional money, improves over my well liked Epiphone EL-00 Pro.   I suspect the Studio’s walnut body will give the 00 shape a more boomier sound, but I kind of like the nuance of the EL-00 Pro’s smaller body sound...but, I’d like to hear the Studio to hear if that is a pos or neg.  Also, I think I read that the Studio’s neck is not a slim taper neck, so I want to see what it’s like and if I like it.   I really like the EL-00’s sunburst finish though it’s polyurethane and want to see if the Studio’s natural finish moves me like the EL-00’s sunburst finish on the small bodied guitar.  If I come across a Studio, I’ll certainly test it out.  Regarding the Epiphone EL-00 Pro, to me it feels like a Gibson in vibe and versatility, although it’s way less expensive at only about $350.  (I traded for one at a guitar show for a 1962 archtop EK0 that I never played and had bought for $125 some years ago.)  For the price you might want to check one out, overlooking that it’s not a Gibson, and compare it to the Gibson L-00 Studio as I’ll be doing when I find the L-00 Studio model.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

• 6 months later...

I Recently purchased a 2019 Gibson L-00 Studio Walnut burst - I really love this guitar!!! As I am getting older I wanted to pick up a Quality Instrument that was more comfy to play. The 00 fits the bill.  The Fretboard is nice and flat and the guitar just plays so well.  As Far as Walnut being chosen as the Fret board material - I know other companies have used it for years with no issue's. Believe me - your Frets will go long before the Fret board.  It is a small body instrument - so do not compare it to your favorite Dreadnought.  Its a different animal.  For me it has a Heavenly tone and response. The only thing I would change is the Grover Mini Tuners to Grover locking tuners. I have locking tuners on all my Acoustics.  Faster string change and better Tuning stability.

The Gibson - L-00 Studio is a Great buy for a time tested instrument. They are worth trying out.

K.  

17 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

Thanks for the review of it.  I’ve been waiting to hear from someone who actually played one or has one!  Congrats on the new guitar!  Many good pick’n ‘s and grinnin’s on it!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

You are welcome Jeff - I think it is hard to beat "cost wise" for a Handmade all solid wood Instrument made in the Great USA Today. K

Edited by Gasman

While it  is better not to listen to us and go listen to the guitars,  I prefer the 12 fret to the body L00s over the 14 fret guitars.   I figured the  difference is the more centered position of the bridge in the lower bout and its relationship to the center of the X brace,.   I do not believe Gibson is currently offering a 12 fret L00 but they did issue a rosewood  version  in the recent past.   Based on the one I recently ran across it  would cost you some $400 - $500 more than the Studio.   Finding one to try out though would be a hard row to hoe.