Gibson Brands Forums

Dylan at 78

northcntryblues

K4ZsyhQQCl4

A while ago I posted a few clips of Dylan as a young man - 'Roll on John', 'Ballad For a Friend', and 'Moonshiner'. I was in awe of the performances at such a young age.

Just watched the above clip of Dylan today.  Haven't been moved by a piece of music the way I was by this in a looooong time.    Thank you Bob.

Edited by countrybluespicker

He's a man of constant re-invention, who has given us an incredible amount of great music over the 55 years I've been listening to him. I distinctly remember the first time I heard one of his records, as a 17-year-old in high school, thanks to a very hip English teacher. My first reaction was "WTF?" My second reaction was "oh, yeah!"

I still react that way to him.

• Like 1

He is certainly sounding really good in the video.  

I hope it really is a recent (2019) video of him and not an older one just mislabeled as 2019.  I saw another video labelled 2019 where he was also playing guitar and sounding really good...and, also hoped that one was from 2019, too.

If so, he really sounds the best he has in quite awhile, which would be awesome!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

I really liked that. He sounded great!

I watched the video below the other day. It's Dylan rehearsing for "We Are the World". 

I find it very humbling to see how awkward and insecure he is, and he is not afraid to show it. He probably felt like a fish out of water in that situation. I don't blame him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UfVmJBF-OY

Lars

Edited by Lars68

It's great that you guys can still be inspired and moved by Dylan. Sorry, but I couldn't even watch a whole minute of that terrible video. I've gotten to the point where my interest in Bob Dylan ends in 1964. His early acoustic days in New York were brilliant, and I prefer to keep that image of him in my mind. 

Interesting comment, kinda like the early acoustic Dylan preserved in amber.  I actually admire him because  he has changed so often, in so many ways.  This song, 'Not Dark Yet' is just another example.  The song on the 'Time Out of Mind' LP bears little resemblance, apart from the lyrics, to the slow burn approach on this track, with a wicked different chord progression.    

Saw him this week.  Played telecaster on first song of night (Things Have Changed), piano or voice only rest of night.  Arrangements different from originals on many songs , but strong band with 2 guitarists kept it very interesting.  Highway 61, Ballad of Thin Man , and It Takes a Train were awesome highlights of show.   After first song or two , his voice was strong and clear , even if phrasing / tempo is quirky    Never spoke to crowd or introduced band.  Never smiled or even looked much at audience.   Moved around a lot between piano and center stage , but sings from rather odd crouched , wide legged stance with arms outstretched— like bad back or maybe Parkinson’s type changes.   in all , a good show and glad I was there.