Gibson Brands Forums

And his drummer wasn't half bad either

jaxson50

Ever notice how many great drummers held the stick in the left hand with the palm up?  That was the old school way all drummers played at one time, I think Ringo Starr popularized the both palms down method.  Looks like Mitch switched a few times during this solo, but most of the time the left hand was palm up.  I just always paid more attention to a palm up drummer as I figured he might be a little more old school and been at it longer or was taught by an old school teacher.  Not that I know the first thing about drumming methods, but just an observation over the years.

Mitch was a fantastic drummer! One of my all time favorites, in fact. I understand that one of his main influences was Elvin Jones (John Coltrane's drummer). It certainly sounds like it if you listen to them both. Anyway, I just wanted to add that to the discussion...a lot of great rock drummers are influenced by great jazz drummers. Thanks for posting this, jaxson50!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twang Gang said:

Ever notice how many great drummers held the stick in the left hand with the palm up?  That was the old school way all drummers played at one time, I think Ringo Starr popularized the both palms down method.  Looks like Mitch switched a few times during this solo, but most of the time the left hand was palm up.  I just always paid more attention to a palm up drummer as I figured he might be a little more old school and been at it longer or was taught by an old school teacher.  Not that I know the first thing about drumming methods, but just an observation over the years.

It is called 'traditional grip' -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_grip

As opposed to 'matched grip' -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matched_grip

[smile]

4 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

First of all, no Ringo did not popularize that grip. Many used it before him. Second, the traditional grip is an antiquated grip style that really has no purpose today.  It was developed by marching band drummers because of the way the drum hung around their neck at an angle. 

The way a drummer holds his drum stick is no indicator of their talent. 

My two favorite drummers are Neal Peart and J. Bonham. Both Match Grip guys. 

I've been a drummer for 46 years.  Sorry to have to disagree with you, but when I read your post I had to set you straight.  

So don't automatically assume that just because someone has their "palm up" that they necessarily are a good drummer.  I actually do the opposite.  😁

Edited by brad1

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Jimi said that Billy Gibbons was the greatest living guitarist!

Jimi said that about a lot of other players like Terry Kath and Phil Keaggy. It's my belief that he did this in order to deflect some of the pressure of being the world's greatest guitarist. Jimi was such a humble, gentle guy that he didn't want worry about living up to such meaningless hyperbole. While I agree that Mr. Gibbons is a world class player, I hardly think he rises to the level of Mr. Hendrix. Jimi actually changed the way the instrument was/ is approached and percieved and, as such, is a true innovator; a title to which few may lay claim.

• Thanks 1

If I remember correctly on the first American tour of the Experience Jimi said the first thing he wanted to do when in NYC was to jam with Buchanan who was at the time playing in a club in New Jersey,  he said he had always been a fan.  

There is also the story,  I'm not sure how true, that Hendrix went to guitar stores frequently while touring and would purchase a bunch of Strats and would then go to clubs to jam with working musicians,  then would give the guitar to guitarist as he left the club.  

He was a rather shy introvert when not on stage. When he arrived in London he stayed with Mitch Mitchell's family and slept on the couch,  Mrs. Mitchell always said he was a very nice, polite and generous young man,  always drawing and writing lyrics.   It is true that his songs were written with illustrations drawn in hand with colored markers. 

If I remember correctly on the first American tour of the Experience Jimi said the first thing he wanted to do when in NYC was to jam with Buchanan who was at the time playing in a club in New Jersey,  he said he had always been a fan.  

There is also the story,  I'm not sure how true, that Hendrix went to guitar stores frequently while touring and would purchase a bunch of Strats and would then go to clubs to jam with working musicians,  then would give the guitar to guitarist as he left the club.  

He was a rather shy introvert when not on stage. When he arrived in London he stayed with Mitch Mitchell's family and slept on the couch,  Mrs. Mitchell always said he was a very nice, polite and generous young man,  always drawing and writing lyrics.   It is true that his songs were written with illustrations drawn in hand with colored markers.