Gibson Brands Forums

New Es335

Bryzdogg

I am a working  jazz guitarist in a bigger city. I work at a recording studio during the day (playing lots of guitar ) and gig 3-4 nights a week. I do pretty well for myself right now and recently with all of my new life developments I decided to buy myself an Es335 studio model (2019) for my 30th birthday. It is an expensive guitar, and I saved up some money and eventually just decided to pull the trigger and buy one    

First off let me say that this guitar is amazing. It is superior to any guitar I have ever owned in every way. I know for the most part that sound is in the hands not the gear, but I have to say that moving from an epiphone Sheraton I’ve been playing for 10 years to this is seriously an experience. It feels like a professional instrument. Everything about it, even the smell is superior to any guitar I’ve owned or played. It freaking love it. 

(I think owning this guitar actually made me a little better in all fairness. I played a session the other day and played a solo and I think the better fretboard or something helped me because I played some lines that actually surprised me! The neck is so fluid and I can play really nice and smooth! It’s amazing! 

My main reason for posting is to ask this question.  Ever since I have been showing up to places with it, I have been experiencing an IMMENSE amount of shade from fellow guitarists and musicians. Almost people mocking me for having a Gibson and saying I should have saved money and bought an epiphone. Even on the various internet searches I’ve been on there’s always these people who are so venomously anti Gibson and say to play Epis.  Has anyone else dealt with this kind of crap? And if so what do you say to people ? 

My reasoning for the purchase really is because I’m a professional, and I need a professional instrument. I played like 80 different guitars (all semi hollows) before I even tried Gibson. But once I did I realized what was up. Gibson is the best! I’m interested to hear any stories or similar situations! 

Cheers!

Edited by Bryzdogg
  • Like 3

Hi Bryzdogg,  and welcome to the forum.

I know exactly what your saying, although I haven't experienced "in person" but the internet is full of Gibson knockers, it seems as though it's an internet pastime!

Not wanting to criticise Epiphone's (they build very good value for money instruments) but there is a reason they are Gibson's cheaper brand, there's no way an Epiphone 335 is going to have the same quality of materials as a Gibson one.

It's probably just jealousy. 

• Like 2

In the past year (ever since Gibson "bankruptcy" thing) hit the news its like a lot Gibson bashers just came outta nowhere. I mean, we all have different tastes and there is no need to bash another guitar brand, but oh well, most of them i think they just do it to go along with the trend, its like when your 14 and want to be cool so you have to agree with everything the other say to be cool haha..that's how i see it anyways

Im glad you were able to gift yourself such a fine guitar for your 30th bday!  the important thing is that you like it and play it and it seems you cherish it 😎

• Like 2

I've had snobbery from other Gibson users, but not non Gibson users i.e its only a studio if they have a standard or it's only a standard if they have 345 and its only a 345 when they have a 355 then there trumped by a ultima

I've been dealing with a 335 expert who primarily sells Gibson 3x5 guitars. He knows people at Gibson. He told me that Epiphone and Gibson are made by the same people at the same factory. If that is true, I doubt there is that much of a difference between Gibsons and Epiphones. Maybe some of the parts in Epiphones are less expensive and hence the cheaper price tag. But I've played many many guitars and basses and this I know - there are great Gibsons and crap Gibsons and there are great unknowns and crap unknowns. It comes down to how you feel about the instrument. In good hands any instrument can sound great. If it feels good and sounds good, then it's for you, regardless of the name on it.  I would and have paid premiums for guitars just because I loved playing them. And it doesn't take long to know.  I know after 5 minutes and if I'm still rockin' out on the instrument after 30 minutes.  Thorne

Edited by thornev
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, thornev said:

He told me that Epiphone and Gibson are made by the same people at the same factory. 

I think your expert needs to brush up his guitar knowledge, Gibson's and Epiphones aren't even made on the same Continent! Gibson's are all made in Nashville (with the exception of the acoustics, they're made in Montana) Epiphones are made in   Qingdao, Shandong, China.              

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gibson has had great Guitars overall for years. There were some years where Players thought Epi's were better built. I don't know that to be true.. Although some Epi's are great.

Sometimes, I think it comes down to envy & jealousy.. These days People think if you own something expensive you're pretentious & trying to show off..

it's weird & sad people are that way.. Having great Guitars, Cars etc. is really knowing the difference between excellence & mediocrity... Congratulations to you for not settling on the latter..

• Like 3

You cant please everybody. As well as Gibson haters there are snobs who will look down on Epiphones.

So don't concern yourself with the predilections of others. You know you made the right choice. If you really feel you need to justify this choice to others, just tell the truth. The Gibson has enabled you to express your musicality better than the Epi did. Nobody can argue with that. 

Enjoy your 335.

• Like 3

On 11/5/2019 at 10:27 PM, thornev said:

I've been dealing with a 335 expert who primarily sells Gibson 3x5 guitars. He knows people at Gibson. He told me that Epiphone and Gibson are made by the same people at the same factory. If that is true, I doubt there is that much of a difference between Gibsons and Epiphones.

To even suggest this,... 1st thought is,  you need to look for a "new expert" cuz that one is not very good...   and for comparisons, go try some of each, then come back...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kidblast said:

To even suggest this,... 1st thought is,  you need to look for a "new expert" cuz that one is not very good...   and for comparisons, go try some of each, then come back...

Your friend is uninformed.  They may be owned by the same Co. but Epi's are built in various parts of Asia.

Gibsons are built in the USA.

Many of the parts aren't even interchangeable due to Epiphone using the Metric standard of measurements for their Guitars. Let alone the Woods, Pickups, Components & other materials...

I'm not saying Epi's are bad. Just not the same..

9 hours ago, kidblast said:

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, gampadoug said:

Sooooooooooooo.... Over there at OK Guitars Charlie posted a recent article indicating that, back in the 60s, Gibsons and Epiphones were, in fact, built in the same facility and by the same luthiers.

Yes, but this has nothing to do with Gibsons & Epiphones being built today.

When Gibson bought what was left of the original Epiphone company in 1957, they decided to create their own in-house competitive line.  Starting in 1958 (and initially using up the parts procured from the Epi purchase), they began producing Epiphones in their Kalamazoo factory.  Sometimes these were exact clones of Gibson models (except for the headstock & pickguard), but there also were unique models that significantly parted ways with Gibson's own offerings.  Build quality of the two lines was identical.

In 1970, the arrangement ended, as Gibson decided to have Epiphones produced in pacific rim countries.  The first of these was Japan, then Korea, and now primarily China and Indonesia (some models are still occasionally made in Japan & Korea). 

The fact remains that thornev's "335 expert" is completely off base, and I would consider suspect any information he puts out.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1