Gibson Brands Forums

A YouTube Holiday Music Album of Mine

QuestionMark

Fellow musicians-

Although it may be a bit early, here's a link to some holiday music guitar renditions that I recorded that I uploaded to YouTube, tonight. 

(Sirius XM's holiday music channels are back, so I guess its not too early for holiday music.)

While there's a ton of holiday music available this holiday season, I hope you'll take some time to listen to my holiday music renditions.  If not all at once, I hope you'll check back to the link over time.

FYI.  I chose to use my 70's Goya nylon string guitar for the holiday instrumentals.    (I've been wanting to  try to do a  body of classical guitar work .  This is it.   I have nine holiday music gigs, mostly private parties,  in November/December.  It will pretty much consist of these tunes and renditions, although likely on my J-45 so I can better amp it.)

Here the YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8JQDeZp6xM&t=18s

I hope you'll post your comments/impressions/critiques in this posting string...whatever they may be.

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

• Like 1

The Goya matches up nicely with these tunes. I can't explain why but the little looping bit of video footage reminds me of the 70's, something from my childhood memory bank perhaps. My wife has asked me many times to learn some holiday music on the guitar. I've yet to do so — maybe this year. Thanks for sharing!

Guth-you’re welcome!  And, if it somehow inspired you, too, to learn some guitar holiday music tunes, it makes all my efforts to do so, all the better.  Holiday tunes are an interesting challenge.  Take a bunch of time to learn them, and then there is only a limited seasonal time to play them.  And then about ten months goes by to get a rusty on  them from not playing them, only to work on them, again, the following year to relearn or fine tune them.   (Only a musician can understand that.)  There are all good melodic tunes to play and arrange to boot!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

Good stuff QM JJ - first couple were good, but thought it really started rolling in the 3rd and 4th songs on - bring on the holidays!  With the nylon strings - do you have to pluck them harder to get them to ring out like that?

The video was cool too... reminded me of a '50s show or something.

Outstanding display of musical wizardry !  

I know some Christmas Songs.  -   Jingle Bells. One note at a time.  This year, having the Chorus down, I'm going to learn the Verse. 

I'm going to put this up on my widescreen TV and sound bar and put it on 'repeat' .    Thanks ! 

Edited by fortyearspickn

2 hours ago, billroy said:

Good stuff QM JJ - first couple were good, but thought it really started rolling in the 3rd and 4th songs on - bring on the holidays!  With the nylon strings - do you have to pluck them harder to get them to ring out like that?

The video was cool too... reminded me of a '50s show or something.

BillRoy-thanks for listening to it.  Appreciate your feedback.  Regarding the plucking sound...I think it’s really more a matter of the style I am playing, the slow tempo I targeted, the way I was trying to phrase each song’s melody, and my trying to stay as far back behind the beat as possible while still trying to stay within the beat/tempo I had set.  I wasn’t hitting the strings hard as a matter of fact, I was probably hitting them with an intentional gentle approach, with little attack.   It’s probably a good example of how the tone (sound) being produced can be in the intention of the player and in an arrangement more so than any one particular technique or guitar.  Although, my Goya guitar has a pretty cool sound to it.  (it’s actually a Goya made overseas by the CF Martin Company.  For awhile Martin owned the Goya brand name.)

Regarding the video, on October 31st we had a snow storm in Chicagoland, and I took an iPhone video of it to send to my daughter who now lives in a warm climate region to see.  When I realized the snowstorm would make a good video to accompany the holiday music project, I edited it on both my iPhone and then on my Windows 10 PC using a VideoPad video editor, where I changed the speed to slow motion and as low a resolution as possible to produce the warm vintage looking feel of the snowstorm.  

Again, thanks for listening/watching and your feedback.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

1 hour ago, Murph said:

What a great thing to do. Well done and thanks, Jeff.

Ben-you’re welcome!   Playing guitar itself is a great thing to do, and when it lends itself to pushing my own boundaries of playing it, such as with this project, guitar playing being a great thing we all do, can really shine through.  Thanks for listening/watching!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

19 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Outstanding display of musical wizardry !  

I know some Christmas Songs.  -   Jingle Bells. One note at a time.  This year, having the Chorus down, I'm going to learn the Verse. 

I'm going to put this up on my widescreen TV and sounder and put it on 'repeat' .    Thanks ! 

forty years pickn-your kind words are duly appreciated!  And, if it musically inspired you, that is the best compliment of all!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I think the Christmas gauntlet has been thrown down by Mark and we should all record our favorites for this Xmas season. i am working on mine though they a little "spicy" I must say.  we will see how long the PC youtube will take to ban them.  Merry Christmas to all my forum friends! here is last year's 

Edited by Holiday Hoser