Gibson Brands Forums

DR Rare Strings

zigzag

I don't spend time here because I play electric 99% of the time. I changed strings on my acoustic today thinking I'd try some new strings, and the old strings had been on there for well over a year. Previously, I've used Elixirs and D'Addarios, but got a good deal on some DR Rare 12s. I didn't like them from the start, but since I don't play that guitar often, and I didn't play the old strings before I made the change, I didn't really have anything in recent memory to compare them to.. The DRs didn't seem to put out much volume and they seemed stiff, like they had a very high string tension, plus I just didn't care much for the sound... kinda trebley and fuzzy, not really full and rich.

Is it just me? Can I get a witness?

Edit: I just read some reviews on the DR Rare strings, and I see that they are lower tension strings, due to the fact that string gauges are lower toward the bass end. I didn't spend any time bending them, but found them harder to barre on the first fret than I remember from other strings. Maybe I need to play acoustic more, and maybe I need to let them settle in.

Edited by zigzag

hey zz - I don't play DR Rare, so can't comment on those, but would expect others to chime in.   

On other string types, I feel people have liked elixirs for long life, especially if you don't use the guitar often.  My take is string feel is a subtle thing to me, it may be a little disconcerting, but shouldn't be a show stopper... and then I think time in the saddle gets you used to whatever is there.   Not sure if you have to play electrics to gig out etc...  but I say try to focus on mainly acoustic for a bit and see how you bond with whatever you put together.  fwiw - My favorite covers are typically electric songs done well on acoustic.

• Like 1

Even though I don't often play acoustic, I just don't remember playing my acoustic to be that much different. Playing it now seems to be more of a struggle. It also seems that the action is slightly higher with these strings which would suggest the tension is higher. Perhaps I'm getting some neck movement, but visually, it doesn't appear to have moved even though the strings look slightly higher at higher frets.  I haven't made a truss rod adjustment on that guitar in over 20 years. It seems I've been spoiled by my electrics. I'll play the acoustic more and try to acclimate, and it could be that some mileage on these strings could help. 

I know I need to just suck it up and deal with it or go back to strings I'm accustomed to. I was just surprised at the apparent difference I was experiencing with these strings.

Generally, string tension on acoustics is going to be substantially higher because they are heavier-gauge strings than you are likely to have on your electrics. This makes them harder to fret. First position barre chords are the hardest because you are very close to the nut, so you are pressing down on a part of the string that doesn't move easily.

DR Sunbeams are lower-tension round-core strings, and generally easier to fret and more flexible than hex-core strings. Not sure, but the Rares may be hex core.

Edited by j45nick

• 4 weeks later...

The reason its hard is because the nut is too high. Do me a favor. Put a capo on the first fret. Then with a feeler gauge measure the gap between the second fret and the top string. Not saying your nut should be that low, but it should be close.

If you don’t play it often you may want to check the setup on it as the neck probably moved since you last played it, or moved when you did the restring especially if you took all the strings off at the same time. I think that would effect your feel more than just a different brand of string if it is the same gauge.