Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Bass Strings

AlexReverb

Hello,

Several month ago I bought a new Les Paul Double Cut Bass. Beside the fact that immediately became my number one bass I really liked the sound of the strings that came from factory.

After a truck load of shows ( I play in an ACDC cover band) I did replace em with D'Addario EXL160s which are my normal choice for short scale, but for some reason they didn't sound as good as I remembered the stock strings sounding. I emailed tech support and asked em what come stock on their basses, but I got no answer. 

Anybody has any ideas of what Gibson use? I know they do make guitar strings, but I believe bass strings might be outsourced. On some other old post in other boards I've seen people mentioning Cleartone ...? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/8/2020 at 10:47 PM, Lungimsam said:

Is your bass neck -heavy? Have neck dive?

Are the fret edges rough or finished nicely?

I had to eventually dress the fret edges on both of my DC basses & my DC JR. Also my ES LP & a 2015 LP Studio. The luthier at GC said it was a Minnesota thing but I never had to do it on any of my vintage guitars.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:46 AM, Big Bill said:

The last i heard the price of eggs in China was about 13 yuan, give or take.

I just looked on the currency convert thing, that is $2.01. 

I have Dean Markley Blue Steels on my bass, but don't play in an AC/DC cover band. Maybe try some Rotosounds. Chris Squire, Geddy Lee and John Entwistle can't all be wrong for using them. Hope that helps.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper