Gibson Brands Forums

Question on Combo Amp problem

jchabalk

I have a brand new fender blues junior amp. The rear cover is held on by 6 machine screws. I pulled the cover off the other night and 3 of the 6 screws were really badly stripped. One of them was so bad that i couldn't get it out. I ended up having to grind the head off and pull the screw body out of the eyelet.

What i'm left with now is an open hole that won't take a screw. There's a nut like thing that is what's stripped and it fell off along with the screw. 2 other screws are headed this way i'm sure if i take the back off and on a couple of times.

Question is should i return the amp and exchange it for another? It's from GC and I have another few weeks but they won't have the exact one in for a few more weeks and i want the exact same one. Otherwise is there a good solid fix for this that anyone knows of, either in the form of a clip-on nut, or some other sort fix for this? I don't really feel like exchanging the amp because of this kind of small thing but i also don't want to deal with this problem forever.

I'm planning on modding it in a couple of weeks so after that there's no more return policy. :-s

I doubt the warranty covers you taking the back off. Could be covered, but some dealers could be kind of picky about taking it back, and if Fender rejects the warranty claim, you'll get stuck with the shipping costs, and still have the same amp.

I'd just deal with fixing it myself anyway. If the amp is working fine otherwise, you'd be taking a chance on getting a lemon with the next one.

that's what i'm thinking too dynadude. also - i just feel kind of crappy returning it because of some bad screws... just the environmental impact alone of shipping the thing around the country for repair or whatever far outweighs any problem i have with the screws... i want to make a good fix for it though so i need to find a "correct" way of repairing it..

i've already had a discussion with the GC guys about it and i was totally straightforward. The shop where i bought it (farther away) is totally willing to take it back in exchange for another, they just don't have another one in right now but will in a couple of weeks. The other GC (close to me) reacted with the voided warranty thing which i called BS on, had a reasonable conversation with the manager about and who agreed to take it back also, but they too don't have one in stock.

Regardless, if there's a good fix i'm cool with keeping it...

...that's what i'm thinking too dynadude. also - i just feel kind of crappy returning it because of some bad screws... just the environmental impact alone of shipping the thing around the country for repair or whatever far outweighs any problem i have with the screws......

It's an electric amp right? What's the environmental impact of playing through it?;)

Take toothpicks. Soak them in white glue. Put as many toothpicks in the screw holes that it will hold ( pack em' in tight)...Let the glue dry completely.

After the glue dries cut the overhanging wood off with wire cutters so the toothpicks are flush.

Now your screws have fresh "meat" to sink into. Screw them into thier holes and you shouldnt have any

more problems.

thanks for the suggestions guys! the hole is actually sheet metal rather than wood.. there are clip on nuts around that may work for what i need.. i'm going to hit up a local hardware store today and see what i can find..

thanks for the suggestions guys! the hole is actually sheet metal rather than wood.. there are clip on nuts around that may work for what i need.. i'm going to hit up a local hardware store today and see what i can find..

If you strike out at the hardware store try an auto body shop. It's a fairly common item.

BACN10FX61_2.jpg

Archived