Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45-TV Diagnostic help

MorrisrownSal

Hey guys. Just posted this on UMGF.

The guy I bought the guitar from is a nice guy. I am sure he would take the guitar back. However I'd prefer to not deal with all that hassle.... if I can avoid.

What do you think is going on with the action and this neck?

https://umgf.com/action-diagnostic-help-high-buzz-t202080.html

It looks like a hump in the fretboard where the fretboard meets the body, coupled with a fair amount of neck relief, so that when you play further up the neck, some strings are fretting out on that hump. This calls for someone who really knows what they are doing to correct. 

I wouldn't second-guess what they might do, but it might start with filing down the frets a bit from 12 up.

Edited by j45nick
spelling correction

Just speculation from your pics: Looks like there's too much neck relief, and maybe the nut slots too low, especially the low E. You said it buzzes worse when you tighten the truss rod; but If you can tighten the truss rod again to get a relief of around .008-.010" at the 7th, and then capo the first fret and see if the buzzing goes away. Or measure the string clearance at the 1st fret to see if the nut height is sufficient. The Kimsey video he posted on the other forum has great information in it. You may have to install a higher saddle also. All those things are inter-related so fixing one problem may lead to another. But that neck relief looks too deep as it is now. Just my 2 cents worth... I hope it's an easy fix.

Edited by TomPhx

Kinsey offers great advice.  Let me offer help from my own experience with my TV. If it is at all dry that top will start to droop, and I get buzzing like you are showing. I’d give it a bath.  Throw it in a sealed trash bag with some sponges for a few days.  

Sal, this can be fixed, but you may want to get a good tech to do it. The problem starts with the hump, and is exacerbated by the excess relief.  As TomPhx says, there look to be several things going on that may require simultaneous solutions, as fixing just one may exacerbate another.

I believe you used to have a guy who was really good work on your guitars. If he's still around, I would get it to him. This is a bit more than just a simple set-up, but shouldn't be a cause for giving up on the guitar unless something else is found.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting it dialed in. What Dan says about the guitar's top (bridge/saddle) dropping in dry conditions should still be kept in mind, as we've had some cold weather lately. Humi gauge calibrated with the salt pack? 

You might not want to remove relief. . . give it some relief, and get those strings away from the fretboard in the higher frets. Tony P made a nice vid that is a good reminder of how the Gibson truss rod works, and he sums it up at t = 1:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFlIFN8oPDw

The video demonstrates the buzz, but aren't you tuned down to D? Maybe a pic sighting down the neck from off of the lower bout would show if the dreaded 14th fret ski jump/hump is present.

Hang in there, you'll get it.

Edited by 62burst

11 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Maybe a pic sighting down the neck from off of the lower bout would show if the dreaded 14th fret ski jump/hump is present.

Hang in there, you'll get it.

If you follow Sal's link in his original post, and look at his last picture in his UMGF posting, that's exactly what you'll see. It's not that pronounced, but it's there.

27 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Rut Roh. What’s the dreaded 14 feet ski jump/hump. Is that like the Microsoft blue screen of death?

Lol. Not as costly as the MS blue screen of death, but can be tricky to get rid of. I had seen a luthier lessen the hump greatly by careful truss rod adjustment ('think it was ol' Strunkie), but on the other hand, there was the local luth who  exacerbated the hump on an Eastman E-20ss by an infraction of the if-it-ain't-broke__  rule once when just trying to do a setup.

Edited by 62burst

Not sure what the problem is with yours, however my RW J-45 had terrible intonation problems. A new saddle fixed it.  If yours start to cost money, I would return it. You say say the guy is nice, but he must have known it was not right! How did he miss the fact that it was buzzing?

The seller had mediums on it.  I’m sure less pronounced.

besides... the seller is a solid fella. I’m sure I can return it. I’m not sure I want to. It’s a headache for him, and for me. All I want is a great J45 set up right. If a setup by someone competent fixes this I am good. The seller deserves the same benefit of doubt that I would hope be afforded me if I sold something.

34 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

besides... the seller is a solid fella. I’m sure I can return it. I’m not sure I want to. It’s a headache for him, and for me. All I want is a great J45 set up right. If a setup by someone competent fixes this I am good. The seller deserves the same benefit of doubt that I would hope be afforded me if I sold something.

I pretty much plan a set up whenever I buy a guitar., regardless if it’s new or used. One persons great set up, might not be so great to the next.

Sal, It can be fixed. You just needs someone who knows what he/she is doing. Don't give up.

Both of my J-45's have a slight hump where the fretboard bends over the body, just because of the neck angle is not parallel to the top. Any competent luthier, or a good tech, should be able to sort this out.

Before you take it for drastic ski hump surgery, I would put some nice mediums back on and leave for 3 or 4 weeks to let the guitar settle after its journey.

If previous owner thought it was good, it could be the change of air or movement from travel. I wouldn't mind a dollar for every forumite that gets home with a new purchase, changes the saddle, strings, tuners, fretboard, bridge, case??? and then the guitar is buzzing!

BluesKing777.

3 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Wait-  "had" mediums on it.  So it was set up for meads & you went to a lighter gauge? There's your trouble. As BK implied, betcha if you put mediums back on, you'd lose much of that buzz. Or. . . don't despair- have a good setup guy dial it in for your preferred gauge. 

2 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

I’ve actually toasted a few sets of strings... lights, medium lights, and mediums.  The buzzing was even there up high on the mediums that came with it, and all the sets I have tried.

i have a call into Brothers.  I’ll get them the guitar, but the downside is I’ll be without it for weeks...

The upside is that when you get it back, it will be good to go.

58 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

I’ve actually toasted a few sets of strings... lights, medium lights, and mediums.  The buzzing was even there up high on the mediums that came with it, and all the sets I have tried.

i have a call into Brothers.  I’ll get them the guitar, but the downside is I’ll be without it for weeks...

See now?, if you met Dave & Rich up at the Fall Philly show last Saturday, they easily could've done it then and there... they were just sitting around at Fred O's (Vintage Instruments) table most of the day.  Dave tells me that they're just about turning work away at this point. Careful how much a shop gets talked up- they've had my J-45 for 8 months now. Hmm...

EDIT: it should be added, that my J-45 is in for some big repairs, including finish touch up work, and their jobs requiring finish work are where they are backed up the most.

Edited by 62burst