Gibson Brands Forums

Conversation with the Devil

Californiaman

Hey Californiaman, I have had the privledge and honor to have known Ray for quite some time and have played several gigs with him in Texas and Louisiana. Ray Wylie Hubbard is the epitome of the gypsy bluesman and cosmic cowboy. I love this guy and wish more people knew about him, he deserves much more recognition than he gets outside of Texas. He's a blues purist, a great songwriter, and his live show is fantastic. Go see him if you ever get the chance. It will make you want to pick up that guitar and approach it in a very different way:)

Never heard of him before! But I sure like him!! suburude

+1 !! I just let the songs on his MySpace page rotate for quite awhile. I love that style of music, and he's great. Snakes, oooooooh. Wanna Rock and Roll has a touch of Rockabilly to it, which I love.

Hey Californiaman' date=' I have had the privledge and honor to have known Ray for quite some time and have played several gigs with him in Texas and Louisiana. Ray Wylie Hubbard is the epitome of the gypsy bluesman and cosmic cowboy. I love this guy and wish more people knew about him, he deserves much more recognition than he gets outside of Texas. He's a blues purist, a great songwriter, and his live show is fantastic. Go see him if you ever get the chance. It will make you want to pick up that guitar and approach it in a very different way:) [/quote']

I've watched several YouTube Vids on RWH.

I own two of his albums and yes, I agree Ray deserves much more recognition than he gets outside of Texas. If he were to make it to California, I'd probably be right there in the front row.

You have been blessed John.

I first heard of him when Jerry Jeff Walker mentioned him on one of his earlier albums. "Here's a song by Ray Wilie Hubbard" or something like that. I belive it was "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mothers". Good stuff!!

Hey T,

I believe you're right.

He's one of those great writers who's also a genuinely nice guy. After years of meeting pickers and songwriters, I know better than to take that for granted.

I once played a radio show with him in Texas. Just a very gracious, cool dude all around.

The last time I got to chat with him was at Suchecki Sound (Compadre Records) and he was going on and on about this new band he was sponsoring and producing at the time - A Band of Heathens. He was really into them. Paul and I went to their show that night at Gruehne Hall and had a blast. RWH got up there and jammed with them on 'Wanna Rock and Roll' and it was classic. Also a very unique and intelligent man, very deep conversationalist, and an all-in-all really nice guy.

I have been blessed in oh so many ways and don't think I don't thank the Man everyday.

The last time I got to chat with him was at Suchecki Sound (Compadre Records) and he was going on and on about this new band he was sponsoring and producing at the time - A Band of Heathens. He was really into them. Paul and I went to their show that night at Gruehne Hall and had a blast. RWH got up there and jammed with them on 'Wanna Rock and Roll' and it was classic. Also a very unique and intelligent man' date=' very deep conversationalist, and an all-in-all really nice guy.

I have been blessed in oh so many ways and don't think I don't thank the Man everyday. [/quote']

Amen....

You have to wonder, if this class of men, (and women, as in Bonnie) are even still out there.

I mean, they are, but will we ever know it?

The times are indeed changing. Again.

Murph.

Archived