Gibson Brands Forums

ES339 ID

gampadoug

I couldn't find anything for that serial number format either.  ME I would think means Memphis (makes sense) and I would guess the 4 at the beginning either means 2004 or 2014?  Gibson serial numbers can be so hard to follow.

Nevertheless the guitar in the link looks like a real deal 339 in nice condition at a reasonable price.  Jake's is a pretty reputable dealer so I wouldn't worry about it being a fake.

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 1:43 AM, merciful-evans said:

Studios often dont have pickguards or 4 knobs (nor white binding for some reason).

I dont see and MADE IN USA impression under the serial number. The serial number is also inked (or painted). Is that normal?

All of these attributes are hit and miss for the studios. Bases on years of perusing Reverb ads.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

What we apparently have here is a six digit serial number that's consistent with the numerical series used on Custom Shop models (five digits before 2010).  I'm guessing that on this guitar & for whatever reason, they replaced the CS prefix with ME (probably to denote Memphis).  The fact that there's a COA  would presume a Custom Shop model connection.

The serial number beginning with a '4' means this guitar was built in 2014 (note that the ES-339 did not exist in 2004, being initially released in 2007).

On 12/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, Deezee said:

Crazy thing is, my 1st year 2007 has a CS serial number but no COA 😂

Couldn’t remember for sure, so had to check - Yes, my ‘09 ES-339 did come with a COA.  Some stores have a hard time keeping track of that stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 4:08 AM, bobouz said:

What we apparently have here is a six digit serial number that's consistent with the numerical series used on Custom Shop models (five digits before 2010).  I'm guessing that on this guitar & for whatever reason, they replaced the CS prefix with ME (probably to denote Memphis).  The fact that there's a COA  would presume a Custom Shop model connection.

The serial number beginning with a '4' means this guitar was built in 2014 (note that the ES-339 did not exist in 2004, being initially released in 2007).

First I will say I know for sure this ME s/n format is legit.  I've seen it before, and it was discussed and validated on forums, unfortunately I can't recall where this info was.

COAs do *not* mean a Custom Shop connection.  All Memphis ESs came with COAs (starting in 2008?  See below).  They were simply COAs for being Memphis made.  Nothing to do with the Custom Shop.

On 12/16/2019 at 4:35 PM, gampadoug said:

I traded emails with someone at Gibson a couple years ago who stated that COA's were shipped with ES guitars beginning in 2008.  I don't know if LP's are the same but ES's for sure.

Thanks. I didn't know when they started the Memphis COAs.  LPs only if they were Custom Shop.  Far as I know, Custom Shop had COAs right from the beginning in '93.  But not 100 certain on that.

7 hours ago, Wmachine said:

COAs do *not* mean a Custom Shop connection.  All Memphis ESs came with COAs (starting in 2008?  See below).  They were simply COAs for being Memphis made.  Nothing to do with the Custom Shop.

Well, not quite.  I have four ES models from 2009 to 2012.  Two have the CS logo on the headstock w/CS serial numbers - but one is a limited run 335/P-90 model w/o logo & a standard SN#, and one is a first year 330-VOS w/o logo and a stamped SN# viewed through the right-side F-hole (to mimic a ‘59#).  All came with a COA.

In sampling the COAs from the 335 & 330 just now, they say “hand-built by Gibson Custom” and are signed by the “General Manager, Gibson Custom Shop.”  So whether or not identified as a CS model on the instrument, Gibson was clearly creating a CS connection on the COAs at that time.

Regardless, the basic fact is that there was no separate “custom shop” at the Memphis facility - and many of these identifiers were utilized as tools for marketing purposes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bobouz said:

Well, not quite.  I have four ES models from 2009 to 2012.  Two have the CS logo on the headstock w/CS serial numbers - but one is a limited run 335/P-90 model w/o logo & a standard SN#, and one is a first year 330-VOS w/o logo and a stamped SN# viewed through the right-side F-hole (to mimic a ‘59#).  All came with a COA.

In sampling the COAs from the 335 & 330 just now, they say “hand-built by Gibson Custom” and are signed by the “General Manager, Gibson Custom Shop.”  So whether or not identified as a CS model on the instrument, Gibson was clearly creating a CS connection on the COAs at that time.

Regardless, the basic fact is that there was no separate “custom shop” at the Memphis facility - and many of these identifiers were utilized as tools for marketing purposes.

Right, it is a real mess.  I should have been more specific to say they *can* (and most Memphis ES models do) have a COA with no Custom Shop connection.  

As a side note, with new guitar purchases, I always make a point  to keep the box labels .  Especially with Gibson, they are pretty much as good as a COA, if not better.

• Like 1

I have a hard time calling my 07 339 a “Custom Shop” guitar knowing full well that it was built on the same lines by the same people that built the regular production. Don’t get me wrong,  I really dig the guitar, but feel that the custom shop logo and COA were just added to sell a lower priced instrument to people who couldn’t afford a “real” CS guitar.