Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Pin on Upper Bout

gampadoug

Interesting question (I dont know). 

I suspect the reason for the heel position pin is the hollowbody nature of the guitar itself. 

I have a (non Gibson) hollowbody with the strap  pin on the upper bout. When I changed the pin to a locking type, I had trouble getting the thing secure. There was just not enough wood to hold the screw properly. I overcame the problem with glue and small slivers of wood (similar to the matchstick method). 

• Like 1

I don't recall playing a Gibson semi-hollow with a strap button on the upper bout ( I assume you mean at the end of the upper horn?), all of the ones I've owned the strap button was at the neck heel.  But I have not had a 137 model.  Having it on the upper horn would allow the guitar to hang a little lower so if it works for you - then great.  Like Merciful said there is a lot more wood to bite into at the neck heel, than through the upper bout.

I have an L-5 which did not have a strap button except on the bottom of the guitar below the bridge.  So I installed one:

CEBf5V2.jpg

But I suppose you are supposed to use a strap that connects up by the nut, as using the one I installed makes the body of the guitar sort of tilt away from you.  Not a problem as I always play this particular guitar while I am sitting on a stool with one foot on the ground, but playing it standing up would be awkward.

I recall a thread where someone asked why there was no strap button on a Tal Farlow model and when I searched the web every picture I found of Tal he was playing sitting down 🙂

• Like 1

Nice work the button install, @Twang Gang.

Yes, having the button in the customary location, causes the guitar to tilt away from me which, in turn, causes undue stress on my thin-skinned forearm. I'm inclined to test this on a cheaper 335-ish guitar before applying it to my 2015 figured natural. If it's a significant improvement...I'm going there.

On 11/14/2019 at 7:13 PM, gampadoug said:

That's an interesting experience, @merciful-evans.

Does this guitar feel differently than other semi-hollows? (assuming you have others)

I ask because my 137 has it's strap button on the upper bout and it seems to hang differently on me.  Easier on the right forearm.

Yes it does hang differently and its more comfortable. 

I have a ES-339 with the pin at the heel which is not my preference. Its ok & I certainly would drill another hole into it. I just need to tilt the body back a little when standing to play.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I really wish they had used this design (above picture) on the Epiphone ES 339, I am finding it hard to get used to the the strap position on the neck/body junction rather than on the upper horn.  I have no problem when playing while seated.  Also think that little bit of extra wood would better balance the guitar between the body and neck. 

• 8 months later...