Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 60s Tribute 2016 vs Tribute 2019

mbabst

Hi guys

I want to buy my first les Paul and I have to decide between a Les Paul Tribute 60s 2016 (brand new which I would get for 200 bucks less) and the newest Tribute 2019. What model would you choose and why? Price doesn‘t matter if the 2019 is just better. I know the 60s 2016 has P-90 Pickups and the 2019 has 490/490.  What else is to consider? I play Classic Rock and Blues stuff.

Cheers, Martin

Edited by mbabst

Welcome Martin.

I bought a new 2017 LP tribute last year. It was ok, but needed a little attention to get it up and playing. I sold it and bought a used mint 2018 Epiphone LP Standard Pro Plus Top. To me it just feels like a better guitar. The action is better, the quality actually seems better than the Gibson. It has the edge binding just like a Gibson LP, which the Tribute doesn't.

Before I bought the Tribute, I really didn't consider an Epiphone, until I read (mostly on here) about how good the Epi's are. I just wanted the Gibson name on the head stock.

Lately I've noticed a lot of professional musicians playing Epiphone guitars.

I have a 2017 Goldtop Tribute with P90's and that guitar is awesome. It plays just as well as the others and it's a great guitar. I think it's 1 in 1000 but I really like it. I haven't played the 2019.  I also play mostly classic rock and blues and that Tribute gets the job done. I personally like the P90's a lot for what I do.

If you can play them both that would be the best thing to do.  The different pickups will result in different overall tone of the guitars and you need to hear that difference to decide which will best suit you.  Personally I haven never been a big fan of the P-90, but many players absolutely love them.  So, if you can, play them both and then decide.

• Like 1

The 2016 50s tribute, in case you’d like to have humbuckers. Personally I’d go with the 2016. I thought they were great. My 2019 modern collection Tribute needed some fret ends attention. I don’t remember playing a 2016 Tribute with similar fret ends to my 2019 Tribute. Not that it matters to me, but it seems to be a big thing for some people, the 2016 Tribute had mahogany necks, while the current model of Tribute have maple necks.