Gibson Brands Forums

So Long, It's Been Good To Know Ya...

Cabarone

This might be it...I don't know if it's the result of a long depressive bout or what, but here of late the very thought of picking up a guitar just makes me sad... the very thing I relied on to help me through just makes me feel worse now. My attempts at playing in church worship have resulted in me making the other musicians/singers stumble. The type of songs they do honestly sound better w/just a piano anyway...

I'm this close to taking my stable to a local shop to put up on consignment. It would help him out in the process.

You all are a terrific bunch. I've really enjoyed lurking and occasionally joining in.

There are two individuals I'd like to thank especially. Jinder, our shared Dove love has made me feel a real kinship w/you... And my Scarecrow (you know, the one Dorothy said she's miss the most), if it wasn't for this place I never would have gotten to shake hands w/Mr. Woof, and for that I will be eternally grateful...

If you all want to banter back and forth about my decision go ahead. I don't suppose I'll be looking in though...

All the best to you all

God bless

Cab

• Like 2

Cab,

I hope this wasn't your last visit.

I found the tone of your post a little worrying, it sounds like maybe you should seek professional help to get you out of this dark place.

I also question whether isolating yourself from groups who might be able too give you support at this time is a good idea.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best of luck.

Regards,

Ian 

• Like 2

Hi Cab, 

I don't know you and can't feel what you're going through, but maybe hold off on selling  your your guitars and just wait a while  before doing anything for now. Things might change for the better and you might be sorry later on. Just my thoughts....

• Like 1

Yeah, I couldn't stay away from you guys...thanks for the  encouragement...to the man (or woman) you are all correct...

This has just been a particularly long bout...not thinking about selling the stable anymore...the deeper the hole, the longer the climb out, I suppose...

• Like 4

Just now saw this thread. I'm glad you decided not to leave the group, Cab. I too am going through something now and feel as you do. The thing that I most turned to (besides the big Guy), to bring me peace and joy, now seems like a chore. The new pedals that I was so excited to get, just a few weeks ago, are now just more pieces of gear. I already have way too much of that. It's not a good place to be, especially alone. I was a daily player but haven't played in about two weeks. I think we need help, as Ian mentioned.

Stay strong!

• Like 2

I've been following this thread, and thinking of a way to help.    I'm glad Cab has come back and is opened to discussion, or at least reading the responses.

Cab, in your opening post, you say:

My attempts at playing in church worship have resulted in me making the other musicians/singers stumble. The type of songs they do honestly sound better w/just a piano anyway...

So just for a bit of background from where I sit. I've been a member of our Catholic Churches music ministry for close to 4 years now.   The director holds a masters degree in music, and he's an absolute wiz.   An amazing musician and an excellent director and very easy to work with.  Our choir has about 18 people.  

Most of the contemporary/modern music we do works perfectly with guitar and piano as does many of the traditional hymns.    There's only a small percentage that just don't fit well with guitar and those are usually traditional pipe organ arrangements.

I'm not sure what exactly it is you are doing for music, but in the Roman Catholic setting, the music is 100% tied to the liturgy.   The music is NOT hard, but it does require reading, and knowing your chords, and what voicing to use.   99% of the material is all OCP (Oregon Catholic Press) based titles, and it's all out there on Youtube in various formats.   There's one guy in particular that has an outstanding site.  Chris Brunnell is his name and I suggest that if you wish to continue with playing in your worship services, you check this guys site out.  He's easy to follow and a great aid in finding out how to fit the arrangements for guitar that will work with the songs.

Also, wondering if you are being provided with the materials that you need to prepare.   eg: Do you have the guitar charts for the music you are expected to play?  I'm not sure I'd be into just winging it all the time.  Sometimes I have to due to some last minute change, but most of the time, I know exactly what I need to show up ready to play.  It does require that the homework gets done tho.  Show up knowing what we are expected to play. 

If you don't have the material (Charts, and examples of the songs to hear ahead time) and way to prepare yourself, then it is hardly 100% your fault if you feel as if you are struggling.  

I'm curious to see how your setup is, and I'm willing to help in what ever way I can.  Please PM me if you want to go into more details.  Don't give up, anything worth doing is usually not easy to do.  Personally I find this "worth" every hour I spend preparing.  When I first joined I wasn't sure I wanted to work with the choir.   But I soon changed my outlook and I realized just how much I needed THEM.   I'm glad I joined, and if you can get past your blockers, you'll probably feel the same way.

best,

/ray

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Marky Forrest said:

Just now saw this thread. I'm glad you decided not to leave the group, Cab. I too am going through something now and feel as you do. The thing that I most turned to (besides the big Guy), to bring me peace and joy, now seems like a chore. The new pedals that I was so excited to get, just a few weeks ago, are now just more pieces of gear. I already have way too much of that. It's not a good place to be, especially alone. I was a daily player but haven't played in about two weeks. I think we need help, as Ian mentioned.

Stay strong!

I feel ya, and thanks for sharing...I think when we get in the Hole we look for things to feel bad about, y'know? I was feeling guilty about indulging myself w/so many guitars...

Your comment "...now seems like a chore" is a pretty fitting descriptive...just know you (we) are not alone and dialogue a crucial step...know that I'm praying for you and am easy to get hold of...

kidblast, thank you so much...you kinda nailed it; I'm part of what I've nicknamed the "FOP" (Final Option Praiseteam)...I get asked to fill in when the regulars are absent (once every 2 months or so)...getting the songs 3 days prior and (since I work midnights) not being able to attend the one rehearsal that is held certainly mucks things up... 

But it's going to be okay...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cabarone said:

I feel ya, and thanks for sharing...I think when we get in the Hole we look for things to feel bad about, y'know? I was feeling guilty about indulging myself w/so many guitars...

Your comment "...now seems like a chore" is a pretty fitting descriptive...just know you (we) are not alone and dialogue a crucial step...know that I'm praying for you and am easy to get hold of...

kidblast, thank you so much...you kinda nailed it; I'm part of what I've nicknamed the "FOP" (Final Option Praiseteam)...I get asked to fill in when the regulars are absent (once every 2 months or so)...getting the songs 3 days prior and (since I work midnights) not being able to attend the one rehearsal that is held certainly mucks things up... 

But it's going to be okay...

ya know, everything works out in the end, so yes, it's going to be okay.    With what is going on there, I'd feel discouraged too.  Perhaps your key to happiness is to find another out let,  you'll probably find yourself re-energized in nothing flat.  Good luck!  Keep us posted..

• Like 2