Gibson Brands Forums

Advantage of the adjustable bridge?

Bcapirchio

Just purchased a 60’s reissue J45 with adjustable saddle. Guitar is feather light and resonant. Purty wine finish too. A/B’d next to my Standard it does indeed have a less weighty metallic edge. I looked in to replacement saddles but thought I would try shimming under the factory saddle instead. With the action where I liked it I made a pencil reference line. I then removed the saddle, adjustment screws, and thin metal ribbon that lives under the saddle. I had some maple and made a shim out of it. I simply placed it under the saddle and put the strings back on. Now the saddle is in full contact with the bridge. The tone in unmistakably fuller with more woody low end and no trace of those metallic overtones. Much better and now it is on par with my standard. The good part is the old saddle assembly can be reinstalled as no physical mods were needed here.  I could put the screws back with the new shim but I wont because I didn’t care for the feeling of brushing up against them with my hand, and thought it best they didn’t complete the metal circuit down through the metal posts under the bridge plate. Why bother? Because I got a great deal on a great used guitar! 

30 minutes ago, Jay 45 said:

Just purchased a 60’s reissue J45 with adjustable saddle. Guitar is feather light and resonant. Purty wine finish too. A/B’d next to my Standard it does indeed have a less weighty metallic edge. I looked in to replacement saddles but thought I would try shimming under the factory saddle instead. With the action where I liked it I made a pencil reference line. I then removed the saddle, adjustment screws, and thin metal ribbon that lives under the saddle. I had some maple and made a shim out of it. I simply placed it under the saddle and put the strings back on. Now the saddle is in full contact with the bridge. The tone in unmistakably fuller with more woody low end and no trace of those metallic overtones. Much better and now it is on par with my standard. The good part is the old saddle assembly can be reinstalled as no physical mods were needed here.  I could put the screws back with the new shim but I wont because I didn’t care for the feeling of brushing up against them with my hand, and thought it best they didn’t complete the metal circuit down through the metal posts under the bridge plate. Why bother? Because I got a great deal on a great used guitar! 

The white porcelain wonder

E-minor7

By E-minor7, 
November 8 in Gibson Acoustic

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Nothing more than "I did not know this". Would be curious to know how it started with four & went to 6.

62burst,

I think em7 was referring to the four support cables on the "funny" which was what the soldiers called Percy Hobart's ingenius specialized armoured vehicles which were used in the D-Day invasion and for the remainder of the war in the west.

I do not believe he was talking about the number of strings on the original guitar that used an adjustable bridge.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, RBSinTo said:

I think em7 was referring to the four support cables on the "funny" which was what the soldiers called Percy Hobart's ingenius specialized armoured vehicles which were used in the D-Day invasion and for the remainder of the war in the west.

In that, Mister R, you are entirely correct. 

4 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

62burst,

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

In that, Mister R, you are entirely correct. 

Thx. 'Missed that when translated from E-min7-ish

7 hours ago, 62burst said:

Thx. 'Missed that when translated from E-min7-ish

Well, good Burst, , , my way with words may sometimes be shakespearean, , ,

16 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes, , , the whole thing was built like a tank. Peculiar enough it was only meant for 4 strings. . 

, , , this however was plain as a nail hammered through a white cotton cloth into a bulky oak table.