Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 six weeks in and how wonderful it is.

jschmitz54

A bit of background, I started playing about 1.5 years ago so mainly a newbie. I’ve been fortunate enough to get two really nice guitars which are a 2017 Martin GP35E and six weeks ago a 2019 Gibson J-45.

I can’t decide if I like one better than the other. When I play the Martin I’m sure it’s my favorite with its shimmer, sustain and what I can only describe as this fantastic lyrical musical quality.

Today I played the J-45 strung with Martin Retros MM 12-54s. I’ve discovered what the Gibson thump is and wow! How can you live without this big woody organic sounding guitar that’s as pretty as it is impressive sounding. When I’m playing it I can’t think a guitar could sound much better. Today it’s definitely my favorite and when my time is up, as someone said. you’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

What it all adds up to for me is this feeling inside me that’s so motivating for me to practice and learn. It’s weird how if I’m playing I have this peaceful focused feeling. It’s all encompassing and it seems as if nothing else exists. No problems, no worries just me and the guitar. I’m so very thankful that I’ve found this but not starting until age 63 makes me wonder what could have been. I’ve never found something that was a passion that satisfies me the way guitar playing has. I’m hoping that this fire continues to burn for the time I have left. Is this fairly common, I’d love to hear others story.

• Like 5

I truly share your experience. I have found my Holy Grail guitars to be the Hummingbird and the D-28 '37 authentic. I also have a J-45 Vintage 2019, which is just AWESOME, and I had it for sale....but thanks to some members here asking me questions about the guitar, I had to open the case to take some pictures of the label and while I was at it I decided to play for a bit...well, the result is I took out of the market...it is really an amazing guitar and playing it again made me doubt if I really want to sell it... As I said, I found the two guitars that float my boat, and my goal is to keep the two, and add other variations of the same....so I might sell the J-45, but today is not that day 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jschmitz54 said:

A bit of background, I started playing about 1.5 years ago so mainly a newbie. I’ve been fortunate enough to get two really nice guitars which are a 2017 Martin GP35E and six weeks ago a 2019 Gibson J-45.

I can’t decide if I like one better than the other. When I play the Martin I’m sure it’s my favorite with its shimmer, sustain and what I can only describe as this fantastic lyrical musical quality.

Today I played the J-45 strung with Martin Retros MM 12-54s. I’ve discovered what the Gibson thump is and wow! How can you live without this big woody organic sounding guitar that’s as pretty as it is impressive sounding. When I’m playing it I can’t think a guitar could sound much better. Today it’s definitely my favorite and when my time is up, as someone said. you’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

What it all adds up to for me is this feeling inside me that’s so motivating for me to practice and learn. It’s weird how if I’m playing I have this peaceful focused feeling. It’s all encompassing and it seems as if nothing else exists. No problems, no worries just me and the guitar. I’m so very thankful that I’ve found this but not starting until age 63 makes me wonder what could have been. I’ve never found something that was a passion that satisfies me the way guitar playing has. I’m hoping that this fire continues to burn for the time I have left. Is this fairly common, I’d love to hear others story.

A strong and very convincing pair. Actually played a Mart GP 28E last Sunday and it impressed a lot.  Keep them both if possible. 

1 hour ago, Violeiro said:

I truly share your experience. I have found my Holy Grail guitars to be the Hummingbird and the D-28 '37 authentic. I also have a J-45 Vintage 2019, which is just AWESOME, and I had it for sale....but thanks to some members here asking me questions about the guitar, I had to open the case to take some pictures of the label and while I was at it I decided to play for a bit...well, the result is I took out of the market...it is really an amazing guitar and playing it again made me doubt if I really want to sell it... As I said, I found the two guitars that float my boat, and my goal is to keep the two, and add other variations of the same....so I might sell the J-45, but today is not that day 🙂

That would be my basic trio : The J-45, the Bird and 1 scalloped rose-Mart dread. The 2 Gibsons are too intriguingly different to cut down. 

Moving around in between the 3 and reaching out depending on feel'n'mood is bound to be a daily pleasure. 

Enjoy every nuance

• Like 1

No issues I can see with being fickle about your guitars.  Your favorite being the one you ae holding in your hands at the moment  seems right.  

Picking the top two for inclusion on my three six string guitar list is easy  -my  1942 J50 and 1932 12 fret L1.  The third one though is a moving target.  One day it s is  my 1955/56 Epiphone FT-79 while the next my 1956 Harmony H40 or perhaps my 1942 figure 8 Harmony H165 Stella.  Ain't life grand

It took me a few decades, various amounts of time available for playing over the years, but I've found that THREE  is the magical number for me.  Irregardless of whether they are hi end or lo, I think it gives you the ability to compare and contrast  - assuming you don't get 3 of the same model - by triangulating.  So you can grab the one that suits the songs you plan on playing that morning, based on your mood.  Of course, if your a professional musician, or semi-professional - you have to be much more introspective, and respectful of your budget.  And, of course, this IMHO excludes electrics and banjos.  Saw an electric 6 string banjo on GC yesterday.   Wow.  It's a brave new world. Millennials, I'm guessing. 

15 hours ago, zombywoof said:

No issues I can see with being fickle about your guitars.  Your favorite being the one you ae holding in your hands at the moment .

Good point that should be obvious from what I posted but at times some things occur to me at what seems like a very slow pace so thanks for pointing that out. It’s exactly the truth. I guess that’s a really nice thing to have happen. When I started I had a lower priced starter guitar and when I got my Martin it only got played out of a sense of obligation. Then I bought two other starter priced guitars and immediately realized that I had no desire to play these guitars and sold them to good homes. Now I’m relishing playing either guitar. That’s the good news.

We also tend to evolve and that will be even more pronounced with  you as you have not been playing long.  Tastes change.  Then add to that the age factor which when it  sets in sometimes means  hands work  better with say a different neck carve.   My particular  downfall is a combination of the  cool factor and a curiosity about what I can pull out of a guitar. .  I figure if the initial investment does not hit me hard what the heck.  Right now I am being haunted by a late-1930s Kay archtop I ran across last  week.   No, I do not need it especially after having just snagged that WM-00..  But at only a couple of hundred bucks,  that big 17 1/8"lower bout and early Gibson-esque oval soundhole may just end up being more than I can resist.  Figured I would leave it up to fate and see if it is still hanging there tomorrow.