Gibson Brands Forums

Your most OVER-rated guitarist?

ALL famous guitarists are "Over-rated' date=' OR "Under-rated," depending on who's doing the rating,

where they're coming from, musically, sylistically, predudice towards "Their" favorite player, etc.

It's a "tailchase," at best! Who cares, really...just enjoy the music/player you like, but keep an

open mind. As to "Hating" a player? Why??? Isn't there enough "Hate" in the world. I suspect

it's jealousy, more than anything. But, why be jealous? Life's not fair, never has been, most likely

never will be. Learn the instrument, as best you can, trying to constantly improve, and learn different

syles. Then, you won't have time to worry about who's "over/under rated!"

Just my 2-cents worth...

CB[/quote']

I'm going to throw a rock in your trick or treat bag tonight.=P~

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah this is a music negative type thread. Nobody wants to hear the a player they like is a loser. Hey I really do like most everybody who plays decent even the early crude type blues guys like Tim Simmons of Savoy Brown. Crude but got a very nice tone out of his Gibson and Marshall Super Lead Stack.

Reading some of this crap kind of reminds me of Junior High School.................and that was fifty years ago. What gives anyone the right to call ANY of these guys overrated. They must have done something right.......... they're where they are and you're.......................typing blogs?

Children, please.

Reading some of this crap kind of reminds me of Junior High School.................and that was fifty years ago. What gives anyone the right to call ANY of these guys overrated. They must have done something right.......... they're where they are and you're.......................typing blogs?

Children' date=' please.[/quote']

Noobs these days...

Things only get worst when the #1 is Kurt Cobain or one of the slipknot guys and Jimmy' date=' Jimmy, Brian, and Eric don't even make it to the list. Great players that never make it to those lists are: Robert Fripp, Andy Summers, Paco De Lucia, hell, even me :- (I know I play better than Cobain :-)[/quote']

No big deal TG! Thousands of players are better than Cobain...! :D/ Very good point though!

(LMHA)

Yeah I know the bluesbreakers and that's his best stuff' date=' but in my opinion he's not as good as people make out-therefore over-rated... Even at that time you had the likes of Hendrix, Page, the stones, who are miles above Clapton.[/quote']

Now this is funny! To not think that Clapton is there with Hendrix, Page and "The Stones" (ha like they should be here). This just shows your age... or lack of age and inexperience.

I suppose you would say that Robert Johnson is over rated too. Or how about Charlie Christian?

You kids need to learn about the roots of modern day music before you state your opinion about who is over rated.

Kids...

Dont tar me with the same brush!

Like instead of you with that arrogant war mongering American' date=' gun ho attitude! Its all about kicking *** and asserting superiority.... No its not!

Flight959[/quote']

Actually, it's "GUNG HO" supposedly after an Indian waterboy/gunner mate for British troops in India at the time????

Just wanted to clarify that. [blink]

I rest my case. By the number of posts you've made' date=' I doubt you have time to play guitar at all...........maybe "Guitar Hero."[/quote']

Yes exactly...im a master a guitar hero..i play it all the time.

Excuse im going to go play raining blood on easy...

[blink]

Now this is funny! To not think that Clapton is there with Hendrix' date=' Page and "The Stones" (ha like they should be here). This just shows your age... or lack of age and inexperience.

I suppose you would say that Robert Johnson is over rated too. Or how about Charlie Christian?

You kids need to learn about the roots of modern day music before you state your opinion about who is over rated.

Kids...[/quote']

I think Robert Johnson could play circles around all those guys...[blink]

Buts that what i belive...doesnt mean its true.

I find it interesting how people can claim that the likes of Clapton, Hendrix, Cobain and Santana are overrated. These guys were INNOVATORS. They were some of the first people to play the way they did. They were inspired by other works, but they weren't really copying off of anyone. They designed those sounds, they own those sounds.

Sure you've heard their music a million times, but what if you were at a Hendrix show in 1968? Would you say he was overrated? What about Clapton @ a Cream show that same year? Or how about Kurt Cobain in 1991?

They were doing things with music (and i'm talking about the entirety of music, not just playing riffs, it's the total package: your stage presence, your vocals, your songwriting ability, AND making your guitar produce sounds that change people's emotions) that no one else was doing at the time.

Sure these guitarists are either dead or old, and sure they are no longer as innovative as they once were. But remember: they were the first. They invented the sounds we love today. If you write them off as "over rated" or "not worth a grain of salt", then a lot of the music we love today wouldn't have been made. They have influenced so many other guitarists it's impossible to count.

To be honest, I've never really like Hendrix. I have a few albums, and believe me I've tried my hardest to like him, but he just doesn't do anything for me. However, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he's done, and I certainly don't under-rate him. No matter how I feel, he has influenced me and I still think he's one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

You don't have to like an artist to appreciate and respect what they've done for the musical community.

I guess it's preferable to say this here rather than the Fender forum' date=' but at the risk of still getting flamed, I'm going to have to go with SRV. Maybe I just don't dig his style, but I could never understand the overwhelming interest in him.

[/quote']

I hope you have your flame suite on buddy! SRV, why? The soul he played with is unmatched, even when he played like **** he sounded amazing, he mistreated his guitar and it sounded out of this world, listen to something like "Scuttle Buttin" or "Life without you" and even "Little Wing", IMO better instrumental version than Jimi Hendrix.