Gibson Brands Forums

Your most OVER-rated guitarist?

smithy78

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personaly I think I am the most over rated guitarist in the world. I mean I have had to live with me and my huge ego for about 20 years now. Five years ago I was the best ever, now its not even a compitition. Jeez how did me and my ego fit through the door this morning?

Personaly I think I am the most over rated guitarist in the world. I mean I have had to live with me and my huge ego for about 20 years now. Five years ago I was the best ever' date=' now its not even a compitition. Jeez how did me and my ego fit through the door this morning? [/quote']

how does it come trough the internett?

ill ask a question someone ahve saked before:

Why rate someone whos (probably) better then you' date=' and earn more then you can dream of?[/quote']

Absolutely, although being a critic is a sport for many.

I go to my local pub every week and the guys at the bar are self proclaimed experts on all sports (NOT!![biggrin] ) Anyway what ever sporting event has been on, they have always got comments to do with the tactics used or not used and how they would have done a better job as coach. If it is boxing they would have attacked more, defended more etc etc LMAO

The funniest thing was when the stats came up for one of the Rugby players on tv saying the players weight was 230 lbs. One of the more portly regulars blurted out (half pissed)...

"I weigh the same as him"

The Irish barman said dryly

"yes but he is a foot taller and all muscle!"

Matt

I hope you have your flame suite on buddy! SRV' date=' why? The soul he played with is unmatched, even when he played like **** he sounded amazing, he mistreated his guitar and it sounded out of this world, listen to something like "Scuttle Buttin" or "Life without you" and even "Little Wing", IMO better instrumental version than Jimi Hendrix.[/quote']

Hi GTP,

Have to say that’s a very polite flame, so thanks!

This is only a guess of course, but I'm assuming you responded to that comment w/out reading further posts? Here are a few of my previous responses in respect to this whole topic:

a) "This thread is getting kind of gay. It kind of reached that point when people started saying various guitarists "suck" - and now you want to go at each other?"

[biggrin] "Welcome to the forum, frankdp...

Yeah, like I said in respect to SRV, it's really just based on his style. It's not a critique on his playing, which should go without words as being exceptional. The "Texas blues" just aren't my thing...that's all. That's why I think it's kind of obnoxious to peg someone as "sucking". Individual preference is one thing, throwing someone under the bus is another."

There were others, but you get the gist of it. My response to the initial question was centered on the actual question of: "Your Most Overrated Guitarist". Unfortunately the thread has evolved from a legitimate question into one in which there has been some unnecessary name calling and criticizing ... which is why, while I've been following it, I have refrained from getting involved again.

Hi GTP' date='

Have to say that’s a very polite flame, so thanks!

This is only a guess of course, but I'm assuming you responded to that comment w/out reading further posts? Here are a few of my previous responses in respect to this whole topic:

a) "This thread is getting kind of gay. It kind of reached that point when people started saying various guitarists "suck" - and now you want to go at each other?"

[lol "Welcome to the forum, frankdp...

Yeah, like I said in respect to SRV, it's really just based on his style. It's not a critique on his playing, which should go without words as being exceptional. The "Texas blues" just aren't my thing...that's all. That's why I think it's kind of obnoxious to peg someone as "sucking". Individual preference is one thing, throwing someone under the bus is another."

There were others, but you get the gist of it. My response to the initial question was centered on the actual question of: "Your Most Overrated Guitarist". Unfortunately the thread has evolved from a legitimate question into one in which there has been some unnecessary name calling and criticizing ... which is why, while I've been following it, I have refrained from getting involved again.

Thanks for the welcome, yes you are right, I didn't go any further into the other 12 pages, maybe I should have but you are right. Every guitarist is awesome in their own way that's why:

1. they are where are

2. we can remember them

I like the blues, metal, Garage Rock and everything in between, yes even country! I think instead of over-rated it should have been "Which artist inspired you and why?"

To a point that's kinda why I jumped and defended SRV, not only because he inspired me to pick up a guitar and express what I want to say thru her without getting in trouble, but because his music does what it's ment to do, take you away, far away for at least 5 mins. Every guitarist is awesome one way or another, Zakk Wylde, Slash, c'mon! do I need to go there? No! One is not better than the other, you can't compare, they both talk to you in different ways, so yeah, I really don't like topics that trashes artists. So no sweat bro, you're cool in my book. [biggrin]

I noticed that some of you dis so called "shredders"

saying anyone can learn to shred. Well' date=' I can't shred. Can you?

When you can shred but still choose to do slow solos, you would

be more convincing. But if you dis shredders because they play

faster than you, then you're just jealous.

[/quote']

No, I cannot purely shred. Nor can I wear biker leather and chains and play a ballad while sitting on a stool. I could be trained to do either, but I feel both are detrimental to rock music. I know many people like shred. I think that most of the people who enjoy this guitar form are guitar players who shred. That's OK though. Everyone has an opinion.

I do like some shred in my fusion though. I love Morse, Satch, Vai & some others who might fall under the banner of shredding, but most are not my cup o' tea.

Archived