Gibson Brands Forums

Your most OVER-rated guitarist?

smithy78

...both friggin' idiots....

There's no need to call us idiots for voicing our opinions. Just beacuse you like Clapton or think he's a great' date=' it doesn't mean you have to insult people who don't. Grow up man.

This thread is getting kind of gay. It kind of reached that point when people started saying various guitarists "suck" - and now you want to go at each other?

Sorry, that was far from my intentions... Just some people take it to heart and aren't open minded to others opinions.

aren't we sensitive

I just think it sad to see people calling some of the greatest guitarists of all time over rated.

Thats your opinion that they are some of the greatest guitarists, and it is mine that they are not and that they are over-rated.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everone is so full of 5hit....

Is your choice to over or under rate a guitar player born from your own lack of success... Everyone's entilted to their opinion but is anyone here qualified to judge!

Me thinks not!

Flight959

Don't come here with that decadent' date=' diplomatic, peace mongering European attitude! This is a US dominated forum - it's all about kicking *** and asserting superiority ;-)

DJ

--[/quote']

Dont tar me with the same brush!

Like instead of you with that arrogant war mongering American, gun ho attitude! Its all about kicking *** and asserting superiority.... No its not!

Flight959

Please calm down Flight!

Firstly' date=' that ws a joke - I though it was pretty evident.

Secondly I do agree with you 100% on your previous comment.

Oh, and I'm European too, BTW.

DJ

--[/quote']

O:)=P~

Flight959

Everone is so full of 5hit....

Is your choice to over or under rate a guitar player born from your own lack of success... Everyone's entilted to their opinion but is anyone here qualified to judge!

Me thinks not!

Flight959

In that case is anyone qualified to judge anything?

Yer all going on at each other "yes he is" "No he's not" he's better than blaa ...its all personal opinion!! Isnt it?

Exactly!

A thread like this, which is about unqualified dissing, probably of people with skills far beyound your own, deserves to be laughed out of existence.

DJ

--

Exactly!

A thread like this' date=' which is about unqualified dissing, probably of people with skills far beyound your own, deserves to be laughed out of existence.

DJ

--[/quote']

Well said O:)

My point exactly!

Flight959

Dont tar me with the same brush!

Like instead of you with that arrogant war mongering American' date=' gun ho attitude! Its all about kicking *** and asserting superiority.... No its not!

Flight959[/quote']

arrogant war mongering American?

Wow, talk about trying to tar people with the same brush...doesn't that comment essentially do the same, only on a much larger scale? You seem like a good dude, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that your comment was somewhat of a joke in response to what was said...though, I really have to say that insulting the United States, or any country for that matter, is not only insulting, but really has no place on a forum like this.

"Anyone can shred & play fast". O rly? Can you?

Also, don't rag on Neil Young unless you can play his solos like he does. Not just the notes (that's the easy part) but the raw technique. If you can, then you can rag on him. If ya can't, well, it's just another thing you can't play.

arrogant war mongering American?

Wow' date=' talk about trying to tar people with the same brush...doesn't that comment essentially do the same, only on a much larger scale? You seem like a good dude, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that your comment was somewhat of a joke in response to what was said...though, I really have to say that insulting the United States, or any country for that matter, is not only insulting, but really has no place on a forum like this.

[/quote']

Yep Crossroadsnyc it was meant as a joke! if you read the comment it was in reply too with regards to insulting European's that was my reason for writing it...

I have been here since 2007 and in that time I have upset no one. Its never my intention to insult anyone or any nation for that matter... I consider myself to be a reasonable person who generally sits on the fence...

Regards

Flight959

Thread destined for the garbage bin.

It's pretty silly to call musicians over rated in my opinion. If someone is known well enough to get the designation one way or another, then their music has probably touched a lot of people. May mean squat to you or you may hate listening to it, but that doesn't devalue their work.

Calling someone under rated is a different ball of wax - it's always cool to try to introduce people to music they may not be aware of.

Why is it silly to say that someone is over rated? I've heard players on the radio that wouldn't have made it through the first few rounds of a local talent show.

Most are promoted by the recording industry, and just shoved down our throats.

It's pretty naive to think that talent alone will earn you a place in music these days.

There are so many good bedroom guitarists....

I think the best have never been discovered.... IMO

Flight959

Good point, most likley some of the best have been discovered and some have not. Some are amazing but don't have the confidence to play in front of people..

I guess it's preferable to say this here rather than the Fender forum' date=' but at the risk of still getting flamed, I'm going to have to go with SRV. Maybe I just don't dig his style, but I could never understand the overwhelming interest in him.

[/quote']

Your opinion of Stevie and the previous poster's of Clapton are a vivid illustration of "beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder". While I think these two guys are "guitar gods" I don't say that you are wrong. I guess it boils down to what you find important in a musician.

Stevie plays blues guitar with more emotion than anyone else, in my opinion. The way he attacks the instrument and still makes it sing freaks me out. And Clapton is a virtuoso and an inovator.

I don't have to hear multiple notes per second to enjoy a great player. I love to hear a player that can make me feel what he paying as well as hear it.

One guys opinion.....play on bro....

Your opinion of Stevie and the previous poster's of Clapton are a vivid illustration of "beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder". While I think these two guys are "guitar gods" I don't say that you are wrong. I guess it boils down to what you find important in a musician.

Stevie plays blues guitar with more emotion than anyone else' date=' in my opinion. The way he attacks the instrument and still makes it sing freaks me out. And Clapton is a virtuoso and an inovator.

I don't have to hear multiple notes per second to enjoy a great player. I love to hear a player that can make me feel what he paying as well as hear it.

One guys opinion.....play on bro....

[/quote']

Welcome to the forum, frankdp...

Yeah, like I said in respect to SRV, it's really just based on his style. It's not a critique on his playing, which should go without words as being exceptional. The "Texas blues" just aren't my thing...that's all. That's why I think it's kind of obnoxious to peg someone as "sucking". Individual preference is one thing, throwing someone under the bus is another.

I guess it's preferable to say this here rather than the Fender forum' date=' but at the risk of still getting flamed, I'm going to have to go with SRV. Maybe I just don't dig his style, but I could never understand the overwhelming interest in him.

[/quote']

+1

The white persons blues guitarist. You can hear him on classic radio stations, right next to Boston, Molly Hatchet, Pink Floyd, Bad Co, CCR, Ted Nugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think SRV was a good' date=' maybe even geat guitarist, BUT...he's always been a "Hendrix" clone, to me....but without

the innovative approach, that Jimi had. But, I don't dislike him, for that...just not sure what all the reverence, or "fuss"

was about?

CB[/quote']

I was exactly the same, his music didn't do anything for me, up untill a few months back. He is a great blues guitarist and uses a lot of techniques that Hendrix didn't use. Hendrix was the greatest, but SRV was innovative too. Force yourself to listen to him a few times and then it should hit you one day...

Archived