Gibson Brands Forums

Your most OVER-rated guitarist?

smithy78

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really dont like Dragonforce, as other guys have said, they cant play live. My friends who dont play guitar reckon hes a god. I really cant stand it, the whole point of going into music professionally is to provide a good show live. Thats what its all about

Clapton sucks. SRV's tone is way better' date=' and tone is more about the gear really anyway not the guitaring.[/quote

#-o

I cant believe what I am hearing

clapton after cream sucked

precream though, even jimmy page idolized him[/quote]

+1

You gotta realize that most folks haven't heard Clapton from the "good stuff years".

It's easy to sit at the computer and say "so and so sucks!" But, unless you can do better, and put it out there, for everyone

else to evaluate, it's of no real value, other than as one's opinion! And, we ALL know about opinions, right? I don't really

concern myself with "who's better than who,"....as as good as anyone is, there will always be someone better, at some point.

Just enjoy their music (or not), as you see fit. All this other stuff is just another "tail chase," IMHO.

CB

you know who i dont care for much, alex lifeson, he is a good player, but sometimes his solos are too weird, his tone kinda sucks, and he looks funny

not my cup of tea, but he fit in perfectly for what rush was doing

I totally DISAGREE. Alex is one of the best guitarists around and has been for more than 30 years. You don't keep going that long and strong without being good. His solos aren't weird, they're unique. That's what makes him one of the best.[-X

SRV sucks

but who said clapton is over-rated[-x

the dude invented good tone

nuff said

and dont forget' date= aint much cool then this

Ace-1.jpg

AngusYoung.jpg

you know who i dont care for much, alex lifeson, he is a good player, but sometimes his solos are too weird, his tone kinda sucks, and he looks funny

not my cup of tea, but he fit in perfectly for what rush was doing

I totally DISAGREE. Alex is one of the best guitarists around and has been for over 30 years. You don't keep going that long and strong without being good, even great. His solos aren't weird, they're unique. That's what makes him great.[-X

Those guys from Avenged Sevenfold (True) or whatever. Or any other metal player (what is that post to mean are you calling all metal guitarists over rated?) ' date=' for me, at least. And Mr. Hendrix. [/quote']

It's easy to sit at the computer and say "so and so sucks!" But' date=' unless you can do better, and put it out there, for everyone

else to evaluate, it's of no real value, other than as one's opinion! And, we ALL know about opinions, right? I don't really

concern myself with "who's better than who,"....as as good as anyone is, there will always be someone better, at some point.

Just enjoy their music (or not), as you see fit. All this other stuff is just another "tail chase," IMHO.

CB[/quote']

I have to disagree. Just because we can´t do better doesn´t mean we cant justify. It´s like you were sleeping with your girlfriend and she says you were horrible in the bed, what would you do? Tell her to fu*k off beacuse she doesn´t have a penis so she cant justify your "performance"? Think about it. World´s biggest music critis never created anything, food critics aren´t chefs etc.

Just my 0.02

Hard to say whos under-rated or over-rated. Depends on personal taste.To me a great guitarest's riffs stay in your head long after the song is over. Shredding doesn't impress me, a good simple 2-4 note riff I keep hearing in my head does. Think Keith Richards Honky Tonk Women or Clapton's Sunshine of your Love or Jerry Garcia's Ripple or Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville. Then try to think of a Steve Vai or Van Halen riff you keep hearing for days.

Maybe not THE over-rated guitarist ever' date=' but the Edge from U2 is on my list.[/quote'] ](*,) The Edge?! Oh i think not my friend. Ironically, if this were a most UNDERRATED poll, Edge would be my answer. Well on second thought Edge doesnt flex his muscle like he used to.

My winner for this is Angus Young in a landslide. The songs themselves are far from spectacular musically. They run anywhere from pedestrian to plain old easy. He doesnt deserve half the credit he gets. Then there is his concert "soloing". Absolute garbage. I have never heard soloing done that poorly. Some guitarists just cant do solos, and he is one of them. Give it up Angus (on that note just give it up completely).

Heres the part where people say "What do you mean Angus sucks? He rocks live. Look at him dancing around and headbanging" (which has a whole lot of nothing to do with his actual playing).

I really dont like Dragonforce' date=' as other guys have said, they cant play live. My friends who dont play guitar reckon hes a god. I really cant stand it, the whole point of going into music professionally is to provide a good show live. Thats what its all about[/quote'] No, its not the "point" of going into music professionally, but sadly it is something you have to at least TRY to do. If i "went professional" with music it would be to create something people love. If i never played it live once that would be fine with me. I want to impress peoples ears, not their eyes.

I guess it's preferable to say this here rather than the Fender forum' date=' but at the risk of still getting flamed, I'm going to have to go with SRV. Maybe I just don't dig his style, but I could never understand the overwhelming interest in him. [/quote']

OH YEAH, big time. SRV was a cheesy cornball & totally unoriginal -- Clapton is overrated as all hell too.

You gotta realize that most folks haven't heard Clapton from the "good stuff years".

I've heard it. It's overrated.

Judging from the anti Clapton theme here, I'm guessing the average user here.....

Is under 30 years old

Doesn't like blues (real blues, BB, not SRV)

likes their guitar sound heavily distorted

would rather hear a fast guitar player instead of soulfull one

Claptons heyday was in the 60s. I wonder if Hendrix would have the same problem if he was still alive. Let's say Hendrix was alive and played jazz today and toured with Patricia Barber. What would the opinion be of him?

Sorry but this is a silly thread.

We all try to act like equalizers.

If a guitarrist gets too much publicity for our taste we say overrated, if another guitarrist gets too little attention for our taste then that guy underrated.

Timing is everything and so it is in music. A lot of musicians were in the right place at the right time and they did things in a way that changed music forever.

I always thought KISS is lame but when I see the number of musicians they inspired I just shut the hell up...

What do I know, I know a few songs, a few riffs and a few licks....

Judging from the anti Clapton theme here' date=' I'm guessing the average user here.....

Is under 30 years old[/quote']

It has nothing to do with age, it has to do with cognative ability.

some people are just idiots, those people, think Clapton is overrated.

My .02....

Kirk Hammett would be my vote. Would somebody PLEASE take his wah pedal away!!

SRV was great live. He could string licks together like no one else. Alex Lifeson is one of the most unique and inventive soloists out there. And Angus Young has never claimed to be great. He is what he is, and it works for the band he's in. Ace Frehley.., well.., he's looks good in silver....

I understand Clapton's influence, and he continues to do good things and put on shows, I've just never thought his playing was anything other than mediocre. (And I'm old, so it's not just the 30-and-under crowd)

BB King is rediculously overated. Also what's the deal with SRV? Any schoolkid trying out a Squier at Guitar Center can play better. Most rock guitarists (EVH being the exception) are overated--that's why they play rock or blues--it's the easiest genre to play. Now try playing classical,jazz,western swing, country (REAL country, not that radio crap) then you'll see the HOTT players come out of the woodwork. Wanna see some guys who can blow ANY famous player of the stage without breaking a sweat? YouTube the following: Scotty Anderson, Joscho Stefan,Andy McKee,Guthrie Trapp,Brent Mason, Tommy Emmanuel,Albert Lee, and of course Gatton & Buchanan;my 2 personal favorites. THESE are guitar players, not like the hacks who appeal to the musically ignorant masses,like Knopfler with his dopey sweatband, or Clapton with his "feel sorry for me, I'm dark and disturbed" expression

BB King is rediculously overated. Also what's the deal with SRV? Any schoolkid trying out a Squier at Guitar Center can play better. Most rock guitarists (EVH being the exception) are overated--that's why they play rock or blues--it's the easiest genre to play. Now try playing classical' date='jazz,western swing, country (REAL country, not that radio crap) then you'll see the HOTT players come out of the woodwork. Wanna see some guys who can blow ANY famous player of the stage without breaking a sweat? YouTube the following: Scotty Anderson, Joscho Stefan,Andy McKee,Guthrie Trapp,Brent Mason, Tommy Emmanuel,Albert Lee, and of course Gatton & Buchanan;my 2 personal favorites. THESE are guitar players, not like the hacks who appeal to the musically ignorant masses,like Knopfler with his dopey sweatband, or Clapton with his "feel sorry for me, I'm dark and disturbed" expression[/quote']

That very well may be the most misguided, unappreciative, load of crap I've seen on this forum. I'll share with you a very good lesson, which is that it's much easier to criticize others than improve yourself...you, my friend seem to have chosen the former. Having someone to look up to, or a particular style of music or playing is something all of us have, but to take mean spirited pot shots at people who have not only achieved so much, but more importantly influenced so many, goes beyond the absurd.

For the record, BB could outplay you with two strings and a broken arm. Same with the rest of the "hacks" you mention.

BB King is rediculously overated. Also what's the deal with SRV? Any schoolkid trying out a Squier at Guitar Center can play better. Most rock guitarists (EVH being the exception) are overated--that's why they play rock or blues--it's the easiest genre to play. Now try playing classical' date='jazz,western swing, country (REAL country, not that radio crap) then you'll see the HOTT players come out of the woodwork. Wanna see some guys who can blow ANY famous player of the stage without breaking a sweat? YouTube the following: Scotty Anderson, Joscho Stefan,Andy McKee,Guthrie Trapp,Brent Mason, Tommy Emmanuel,Albert Lee, and of course Gatton & Buchanan;my 2 personal favorites. THESE are guitar players, not like the hacks who appeal to the musically ignorant masses,like Knopfler with his dopey sweatband, or Clapton with his "feel sorry for me, I'm dark and disturbed" expression[/quote']

Troll elsewhere.

That very well may be the most misguided' date=' unappreciative, load of crap I've seen on this forum. I'll share with you a very good lesson, which is that it's much easier to criticize others than improve yourself...you, my friend seem to have chosen the former. Having someone to look up to, or a particular style of music or playing is something all of us have, but to take mean spirited pot shots at people who have not only achieved so much, but more importantly influenced so many, goes beyond the absurd.

For the record, BB could outplay you with two strings and a broken arm. Same with the rest of the "hacks" you mention. [/quote']

You tell him, crossroad!!! +100!

Archived