Gibson Brands Forums

Your most OVER-rated guitarist?

smithy78

I have to disagree. Just because we can´t do better doesn´t mean we cant justify. It´s like you were sleeping with your girlfriend and she says you were horrible in the bed' date=' what would you do? Tell her to fu*k off beacuse she doesn´t have a penis so she cant justify your "performance"? Think about it. World´s biggest music critis never created anything, food critics aren´t chefs etc.

Just my 0.02[/quote']

That's fine...it's only opinion, even that as was expressed, in your example. I just think way too

many people, who've done nothing, condem or unfairly criticize, those who've at least "tried!"

But, It's totally OK, if you don't like their efforts, or style.

CB

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

overrated musician? i think kurt cobain was overrated

As a possibly over-admiring fan of Nirvana and Kurt Cobain, I am coming from a biased perspective, but i don't think you're giving the man his due credit. Ya know, there are really many ways you can describe "musicianship". I've spent many a long night in heated discussion with buddies over what a "true" musician is. Of course, there are two obvious ways to approach defining musicians as "good" or "bad". There's always the technical and schooled approach, what I've always deemed the Satrianical System of Rating Guitarists. Then the other way is determining their skill level (to yourself, you can't change the way other people view a musician's ability) based on the soul and the emotion they put into what they're playing. I really enjoyed reading the thread earlier that was something about Clapton and Townshend being songwriters and artists and not just guitarists. That's the way I look at Kurt Cobain as a musician. Technically, his approach wasn't exactly "sound", but he was creative and passionate. Some of his chord progressions and leads (if that's what you wanna call 'em, I prefer calling his solos extended fills) were just absolutely off the wall. So yeah, I know I at least try not to define a guitarist or musician based on one perspective. As I've matured I've learned you've gotta be open to new experiences in life, including those as miniscule as listening to and critiquing musicians! (By the way, I think Slash is great. Maybe it's just me, but anything he puts on track adds to the listening experience. He does enough for you to notice his playing, but he doesn't overdo and bore you. Plus, his tone is great. To me, Slash, Billy Gibbons, and Brad Paisley have some of the best and most authentic guitar tones and sounds in the business. I could recognize the playing of those three from a mile away... but sadly I'm just rambling now...)

My winner for this is Angus Young in a landslide. The songs themselves are far from spectacular musically. They run anywhere from pedestrian to plain old easy. He doesnt deserve half the credit he gets. Then there is his concert "soloing". Absolute garbage. I have never heard soloing done that poorly. Some guitarists just cant do solos' date=' and he is one of them. Give it up Angus (on that note just give it up completely).

Heres the part where people say "What do you mean Angus sucks? He rocks live. Look at him dancing around and headbanging" (which has a whole lot of nothing to do with his actual [b']playing[/b]).

Telling Angus Young to give up? Awesome.

Yes, his songs border on easy, but play Back In Black and exactly accentuate every note on the fill....Play the triad intro to For Those About to Rock and get the the prestine sound that he did....Play Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution perfect.....Write the song Walk All Over You...

Dude, Hell, play this song while doing this..... (at the :58 second mark) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uXu067MTqI

--Notice the "soloing" at the 2:39 mark that you call "garbage". Not his best work, but still puts most to shame.

He's 22 in this video, how old are you?

I'd love to see your videos.

Here's a better one of him soloing. This one is a killer. Bon's drunk as Hell, but Angus abuses this solo at the 1:19 mark -

Better still, the first 40 seconds of this video will crush anything you'll ever aspire accomplish on guitar -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Fm8NW-SEs

Yeah, you can't slam Angus. Instantly identafiable sound. 90% of their music revolves around open chords. I remember back in the 70's their manager said they would be the next Rolling Stones. They came pretty close.

Am I the only one who gets a chuckle out of somebody posting a photo of a 50-year-old man wearing schoolboy knickers & then saying he thinks Alex Lifeson looks funny?

+1 to that. I don't think Alex looks funny either. He has just aged graciously and he can still rock with the best of them.

Ok so I saw a topic on here for under-rated giutarists which was interesting; so I thought I would make one for over-rated guitarists to see the outcome. I think Clapton' date='Santana and Brian May are amongst the most over-rated guitarists ever. What do you's think??[/quote']

I've seen Clapton live, on several occasions, and he and David Gilmour are the only two guitarists to ever make me weep with joy at a live performance. (When I looked around me at the Clapton performance in question, there were several other people weeping with joy as well.) Clapton is not flashy, but he does Clapton like no other. So, I think you're full of beans about Eric Clapton being over-rated--unless, of course, you are referring to the "Clapton is God" bumper sticker that was popular in the early '70s. lol

cheers,

--Professor Chaos

That very well may be the most misguided' date=' unappreciative, load of crap I've seen on this forum. I'll share with you a very good lesson, which is that it's much easier to criticize others than improve yourself...you, my friend seem to have chosen the former. Having someone to look up to, or a particular style of music or playing is something all of us have, but to take mean spirited pot shots at people who have not only achieved so much, but more importantly influenced so many, goes beyond the absurd.

For the record, BB could outplay you with two strings and a broken arm. Same with the rest of the "hacks" you mention. [/quote'] Sorry, dont think so. BB is a hack--he admitted that he can't even play rhythm. He is a plinker. And I'm not being mean spirited--I'm simply stating the truth. You can't even put BB King in the same LEAGUE with any of the players I mentioned. They are world class superplayers--BB is not even good in his genre--wanna hear good blues? Listen to Bloomfield or Moore, or Winter! Now there's some excitement!

i think tony iommi is over rated. check this link....¬.

Granted, he can rack up the notes/second count. but i almost lost the will to live by the end of this solo.

imo, he should stick to playing those killer riffs he invented instead of solo's.

Sorry' date=' dont think so. BB is a hack--he admitted that he can't even play rhythm. He is a plinker. And I'm not being mean spirited--I'm simply stating the truth. You can't even put BB King in the same LEAGUE with any of the players I mentioned. They are world class superplayers--BB is not even good in his genre--wanna hear good blues? Listen to Bloomfield or Moore, or Winter! Now there's some excitement![/quote']

How old are you? Have you just started playing the guitar?

Ok, so how do you define someone as being a "hack"? I'd be very interested in hearing a rational explanation for calling BB King, or some of the others (Clapton for example) "hacks". I'm very familiar with Mike Bloomfield, as well as the others you mentioned...of course they are good, but I'm not sure what that has to do with your criticism of people. Not liking someone's style is fine, but to call BB King, Mark Knopfler, and Eric Clapton "hacks", isn't a point of view...rather it's one of two things: you're either looking to create a ridiculous debate or you just simply don't know any better.

Hopefully you'll get it someday and open yourself up to a world of world-class guitar playing that you are totally missing out on.

i think tony iommi is over rated. check this link....¬.
Granted' date=' he can rack up the notes/second count. but i almost lost the will to live by the end of this solo.

imo, he should stick to playing those killer riffs he invented instead of solo's.

[/quote']

That wasn't his best performance to say the least...still, I love a lot of the solo's he's done over the years.

I think any guitarist who can make it in the big leagues is amazing enough as is, and i don't feel right bashing any of them

sure some people love them more then others but at the same time everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Sorry' date=' dont think so. BB is a hack--he admitted that he can't even play rhythm. He is a plinker. And I'm not being mean spirited--I'm simply stating the truth. You can't even put BB King in the same LEAGUE with any of the players I mentioned. They are world class superplayers--BB is not even good in his genre--wanna hear good blues? Listen to Bloomfield or Moore, or Winter! Now there's some excitement![/quote']

I don't like Wes Montgomery, but I never would call him under rated. I just don't like guitars in jazz. I can appreciate his talent and I realize that he is one of the best. Just a personal preference. If you listen to Clapton and BB and say they are over rated, I would suggest that you do away with any plans on playing professionally. The bottom line is that you just don't get it. NOBODY plays like BB King. NOBODY. Jimmy Page stated he was always amazed with BB King. One note is all he needed to express himself.

How old are you? Have you just started playing the guitar?

Ok' date=' so how do you define someone as being a "hack"? I'd be very interested in hearing a rational explanation for calling BB King, or some of the others (Clapton for example) "hacks". I'm very familiar with Mike Bloomfield, as well as the others you mentioned...of course they are good, but I'm not sure what that has to do with your criticism of people. Not liking someone's style is fine, but to call BB King, Mark Knopfler, and Eric Clapton "hacks", isn't a point of view...rather it's one of two things: you're either looking to create a ridiculous debate or you just simply don't know any better.

Hopefully you'll get it someday and open yourself up to a world of world-class guitar playing that you are totally missing out on. [/quote'] Actually, I'm 55. Been playing guitar for 45 years, Pedal steel for 25. Have worked with top players,have pictures to prove it,toured the US,Europe, Alaska,the Islands, have done studio work,am on numerous CD's,jingles,even a movie soundtrack. I'm simply stating that BB is BORING--no tone,no rhythm,plays elementary,repetitive riffs, much the same as SRV & EC. I'm sorry, but I'm into world class players,not these icons who have been put on a pedestal for years. Most "blues" players play blues cause it's the easiest genre to play--up and down the pentatonic to a 1-4-5 progression. Sure, it sounds good, but to me got stale back in the '70's. The type of playing that impresses me is the type that virtually noone can do--try YouTubeing Scotty Anderson--now there's world class. Or Andy McKee. Or Joscho Stefan. THATS WORLD CLASS PLAYING! For soul & emotion--nobody has ever even come CLOSE to ROY BUCHANAN. You got a computer--find some GOOD players to listen to!!

Actually' date=' I'm 55. Been playing guitar for 45 years, Pedal steel for 25. Have worked with top players,have pictures to prove it,toured the US,Europe, Alaska,the Islands, have done studio work,am on numerous CD's,jingles,even a movie soundtrack. I'm simply stating that BB is BORING--no tone,no rhythm,plays elementary,repetitive riffs, much the same as SRV & EC. I'm sorry, but I'm into world class players,not these icons who have been put on a pedestal for years. Most "blues" players play blues cause it's the easiest genre to play--up and down the pentatonic to a 1-4-5 progression. Sure, it sounds good, but to me got stale back in the '70's. The type of playing that impresses me is the type that virtually noone can do--try YouTubeing Scotty Anderson--now there's world class. Or Andy McKee. Or Joscho Stefan. THATS WORLD CLASS PLAYING! For soul & emotion--nobody has ever even come CLOSE to ROY BUCHANAN. You got a computer--find some GOOD players to listen to!![/quote']

You're making a comparison between separate generas of music, and by default very separate styles of playing. Who is to say one is "better" than the other, other than the individual listening or playing? If you are talking about technical proficiency, I believe you have an argument ... but based on what someone contributed to a particular genera, I don't think you do.

You're making a comparison between separate generas of music' date=' and by default very separate styles of playing. Who is to say one is "better" than the other, other than the individual listening or playing? If you are talking about technical proficiency, I believe you have an argument ... but based on what someone contributed to a particular genera, I don't think you do. [/quote'] Fair enough. I just get tired of that same old pentatonic crap--I mean, have you ever heard BB or SRV or EC play a DIMINISHED run? How about an AUGMENTED chord. I just wanna hear something other than the same ol' run of the mill lead playing. I mean, what these guys do sounds good & all, but after awhile I just wanna hear something other than "blues" riffs.

i dont think Slash is overrated. he's no Hendrix but if you stop and think about it, almost every song on AFD and even GNR Lies is a pretty cool *** song. again, he's no Hendrix but most of his Guns work is very solid. ive listen to those 2 albums a trillion times.

cant say that about Clapton. i think he only has a couple good-great songs

i think EVH is overrated

Fair enough. I just get tired of that same old pentatonic crap--I mean' date=' have you ever heard BB or SRV or EC play a DIMINISHED run? How about an AUGMENTED chord. I just wanna hear something other than the same ol' run of the mill lead playing. I mean, what these guys do sounds good & all, but after awhile I just wanna hear something other than "blues" riffs.[/quote']

That makes perfect sense. After a while I think it's natural to want to expand in new directions. Another thing though, is a lot of the guys we associate with playing the same material over and over, play a variety of other things in private - so it's difficult to gauge how good some people really are...just like a lot of those guys you mentioned in more advanced arenas I'm sure like to toss out the crappy blues lick from time to time ;-)

Hey, you like who you like, and that's fine. I've been a "Clapton" fan, for 44 years (since the Yardbirds).

He's no "God," and he would be the first to tell you that. But, what he's contributed to music, Rock & blues,

few others can match. B.B. Invented the runs and licks that are the basis of most Rock & Roll, along with

Chuch Berry. There ARE some amazing "Country," Classical, Flaminco, and Jazz players, that...by comparison

are virtually unknown. But, it's not EC or BB's (or anyone else's) fault, they became popular, touched peoples

emotions (including more than a few musicians). Players PLAY...it's up the listener/fan, to decide if it works for them,

or not. I don't get nearly as tired of Pentatonic scales/leads, as I do people deciding what I "should" like, as opposed

to what I Do like, just because THEY happen to like something/someone different. We all have our "hero" players,

and those we admire, and it's OK if they're different than other peoples. These endless criticisms, and denegrations,

are pointless "tail chases"...IMHO. No one's forcing anyone else, to listen to someone they don't like!

CB

you'll hate me

angus is over rated, in my opinion he has kind of a weak sounding tone, though no doubt he is a great player

slash is WAY over rated, especially by gibson, he kinda just annoys me

as much pressure as you can put on jimi hendrix and i still dont think he's over rated, he was only active for 4 years and look at his impact

you'll hate me

angus is over rated' date=' in my opinion he has kind of a weak sounding tone, though no doubt he is a great player

slash is WAY over rated, especially by gibson, he kinda just annoys me

as much pressure as you can put on jimi hendrix and i still dont think he's over rated, he was only active for 4 years and look at his impact[/quote']

+100000

this slash or slush guy sucks. I never liked this c#@%^s and doses band with that little weasel

screaming and clowning around.

Give me Angus anytime.

And when I want to enjoy good rock , I'll listen to Warren Haynes,EC, Derek Trucks and a lot of

other real good players.

Archived