Gibson Brands Forums

Your most OVER-rated guitarist?

smithy78

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you have to actually play the guitar to be considered over-rated. Just dancing around unplugged doesn't count for this discussion.

hahahahha this is true. they have the best guitars at their disposal (every gibson ever dreamed of owning) and they have a guitarist in the background with the band being the only one doing the solos

Here's my method for judging guitarists (tongue-in-cheek for those of you who just woke up or might just be naturally slow): If I can play anything I've heard on his/her records (that's cds or mp3s to you young'uns) than he's 'overated'. If I can play some (but not all) of his stuff than he's 'really good'. If I can't play anything of his than he's 'great'.

May I interject that it's total arrogance to call someone who's made more money in a year playing guitar than you'll ever make in your life 'over-rated'.

And dickey- you're 55 years old & call SRV 'over-rated'. Can you play his stuff? Seriously?

I'd expect that from a kid but you're too old to be talking that kind of smack.

angus is over rated' date=' in my opinion he has kind of a weak sounding tone, though no doubt he is a great player

[/quote']

Marshall + SG = weak tone? Are you kidding me? I must respectfully disagree on that one.

On Hendrix, he has the advantage of being dead, which Clapton does not have. I don't think Hendrix is overrated, but he is definitely overexposed. How many more albums are they going to put out??? People who die young and in their prime (artistically) tend to be overrated by the general public, though.

Clapton was once a god.

EVH was, too.

But neither of them continues to garner the attention they once had.

What would you think of Hendrix if he were alive today?

What about Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, or John F. Kennedy for that matter? Would these people be such a big deal if their careers had plateaued or sunk for the past umpteen years? Probably not.

-Brad

Here's my method for judging guitarists (tongue-in-cheek for those of you who just woke up or might just be naturally slow): If I can play anything I've heard on his/her records (that's cds or mp3s to you young'uns) than he's 'overated'. If I can play some (but not all) of his stuff than he's 'really good'. If I can't play anything of his than he's 'great'.

May I interject that it's total arrogance to call someone who's made more money in a year playing guitar than you'll ever make in your life 'over-rated'.

And dickey- you're 55 years old & call SRV 'over-rated'. Can you play his stuff? Seriously?

I'd expect that from a kid but you're too old to be talking that kind of smack.

Soooooooo it's all about skill and nothing to do with inspiration, inventiveness, and creativity?

Marshall + SG = weak tone? Are you kidding me? I must respectfully disagree on that one.

-Brad

Hm....I prefer Mesa + Les Paul :-$ But SG n Marshall is quite nice, too.

Yeah...so here's my point of view: I give credit to all of those shredders because of their speed, and their technique....but most of this shredding musikc just sounds kinda...one-minded to me. I still prefer listening to a nice Deep Purple Solo or some of Ozzy's Stuff he did together with Randy. But I like Metallica and Dream Theater, too, f.e... I think, they make good music, too ;) But like I said: I can't stand soneome shredding the whole time (LIke Yngwie Malmsteen...I hate that guy^^)

And the actually most overrated guitarists of all time (especially overrated by young no-life guys playing guitar hero the whole day) are Herman Li and Sam Totman. They both suck realyy really bad (can't even play their own f***in' solos live).

Yeah and to add something: I'm 15.

steve vai, not a great player at all, way to up his own arse and a prime example of those who put on the faces that players due to getting into it. his music is emotionless and laden with tricks to try and wow guitarists with his ability to play at moderate speed and go completly off the handle using all the tricks he can into a 6 or so minute song

• 6 months later...

The problem with threads like this is everyone has their own taste. If you judge a guitarist of Santana's quality as overrated, then you are just under listening. You've probably have heard all the radio over kills and never found him interesting. Give these an honest listen.

Luz, Amor Y Vida This one he is playing with his brother and their nephew.

she's not there

And there are hundres of others.

The same can be said about Slash.

Slash lets loose

If you still have not gained any more appreciation for their music, that's fine. They are not your taste. However, you either appreciate that they have eminse talant or your are unqualified to recognise talant.

Should threads dead 6 months be allowed to be revived? Also wondering how it was revived. Wasn't there a crash that wiped everything' date=' like our post counts for example? Just sayin....[/quote']

when was our post count trashed? well, anyway mine is too low to matter =D>/

god this threads long, couldnt be arsed to read all of it!

Its so difficult to say without someone saying something to feasibly make me want to agree, for instance, Buckethead blows me away, there are pieces in his songs that give me goosebumps (always a good sign for me!) like listening to Dire Straights when i was a kid, i feel he will always be under rated and misunderstood, Neil Young does exactly the same thing for me, Cortez the killer being a particular track, but i dont care much for clapton, love early and later fleetwood mac, etc i think it depends on your personal view, i love SRV, Hendrix and Buddy Guy, cant stand John Mayer but like his interviews.

I hate players who seem to get so far and are revered like "rock gods" like Tim Wheeler, Billy Joe Armstrong and that guy from the killers because they seem so boring and play so safely but also love Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Blind Melon, etc most seattle bands from the grunge era, like some old football guy said, its a funny old world innit bob.

You're late.

And what's up with Django? Everybody's "ooh he's so good" - but he mostly only played with two fingers!

If he'd used them all' date=' he might become medium-rated in a thread like this...[/quote']

Are you a Django fan Riverside, using irony in the above post? or not really into him?

Matt

Good music is in the ear of the beholder. Underrated/overated is an opinion and has nothing to do with objectivity.

My subjective opinion, for what ever it's worth, is that Santana is a guitar God, while Hendrix anoyes the pi$$ out of me no matter what he plays. I love Garry Moore when he plays melody and turn him off, or any such other guitarist, when he/they play head banging $hit that makes no musical sense, and has to do more with showing off rather than harmonizing. Music is meant to be harmonious, to please the ear of the beholder, not to be a vehicle by which an egocentric axman can show off finger speed. Speed is good but harmonious speed, and soulful playing, is where it's at my dear grasshopers. Clapton has pleasingly distinctive sound, soul, and style, and so does BB King, and SRV, that's why they are loved by millions.

There are two more words we may want to address here and that's 1) class, and 2) individuality, in all to do with life, but that's for another time. Back to my listening to Santana in supernatural, which he is!

Peace to all!

I think a player is overrated when he is put as #1 of the 100 better guitarists in the world, no matter who it is (yes, even Jimmy Page, who I dont like or Brian May which is my favorite).

Why?

Because you just can't say one of them is better.

Things only get worst when the #1 is Kurt Cobain or one of the slipknot guys and Jimmy, Jimmy, Brian, and Eric don't even make it to the list. Great players that never make it to those lists are: Robert Fripp, Andy Summers, Paco De Lucia, hell, even me :) (I know I play better than Cobain :))

Archived