Gibson Brands Forums

Bought my 2019 j45 modern walnut cutaway 3 months ago

Nextcountrystar

I bought it like 3 months ago.  At first it was beautiful I’m new to guitar it sounded deep and good now it sounds quieter and dull. Also the low e string rattles if I hit it to hard not even that hard. It sounds different. Do I need new strings or what? Also the little black bag with the battery inside fell off including the tape holding it in place I superglued it back on the black wire isn’t in sight but you can see it hanging there. Anyway what could be the problems? I also bought an amp and a 60s telecaster so idk maybe something there

A few variables that I think are responsible.

1) new strings. YAS 

2) let’s say you live in the heartland. If you bought three months ago, you bought in August or late summer. The humidity was likely higher. It’s likely as a result the ACTION on your guitar was higher... no buzzing. Now it’s colder, and the relative humidity has dropped... I’m guessing your action has too. Be careful. Keep your guitar humidified 40-50%. Keep it in its case with a Ziplock bag punched with holes and a wet sponge. Keep it wet.

3) did you superglue the battery connector behind the bag? I’m not understanding this part.

give us some more information.  Where are you located.  I’m guessing a $60 setup with new strings will make you Gaga over the guitar again.

When the strings are brand new they will exert far more of their own influence on the overall tone. Some people like this while others prefer the tone once the strings have been on the guitar for longer. The more resonant a guitar is, the less impact aging strings can have on perceived volume and responsiveness. It sounds like you’ve been ready for a new set of strings for a while now.

The low E string sounds like it might be the victim of lowered humidity as others have indicated. When the weather outside turns cooler requiring the use of forced air heat inside our homes (for most of us) it decreases the overall level of humidity inside the house by quite a bit. In the case of a solid wood guitar this can cause top of the guitar to sink a bit resulting in the buzzing like you are now experiencing. In this case humidifying your guitar through the course of winter should do the trick.

There are plenty of options for humidifying a guitar such as the sponge in a bag method detailed by Sal above. I would add that if you do choose to go that route you’ll want to leave the sponge damp as opposed to wet. Squeeze the wet sponge until no more water is dripping from it before placing it in the plastic bag with holes.

Mixing guitars and water is not a good thing – you only need a small bit of moisture in the case to do the trick. Check on the sponge occasionally to make sure that it stays damp through the winter. I personally prefer to use Oasis humidifiers with my guitars for this task.

Edited by Guth

Make sure you squeeze as much  water out of the sponge as you can,  plus one here for the Oasis humidifiers ( my home is high in the rockies ) so i live in winters

with single digits humidity and you dont want weird things to start happening to your guitar, its so important in the winter, When you humidity you should keep

a gauge in your guitar to gauge the humidity, Oasis comes with one.  Its not hard to keep the inside of your case between 40% and 50%.  IMHO