Gibson Brands Forums

Everything is real, , , except

E-minor7

Would a Dove made of anything other than maple still be a Dove?

Richard Smith is no doubt a player of much talent, and while personally while I'm not a fan of seeing how many notes can be jammed into a measure, the clip shows why Tommy E would get the "plays well with others" remark on his jam report card- he's not just having a one-way musical conversation, but rather, he's keeping an eye on, and engaging the other player(s). 'Love how, at 3:19, he pointed to Richard's guitar when TE found the bridge that Richard was playing amidst the flurry of notes.

23 minutes ago, 62burst said:

the clip shows why Tommy E would get the "plays well with others" remark on his jam report card- he's not just having a one-way musical conversation, but rather, he's keeping an eye on, and engaging the other player(s). 

Good comment, got me looking at the video with a different eye and I understand and appreciate what you said....  Tommy E didn't just play his part, but made the whole 'team' better.

Edited by billroy fineman

53 minutes ago, Murph said:

And people are sitting around talking...

so it just proves the simple point that it's impossible to get people to shut up!  Cuz if they won't shut up to for this,, then us guys in the acoustic solo gigs, in pubs and coffee houses,, we don't stand a chance... 

12 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

, , , the Dove.

Enjoy these masters roll it all out. Not Least T.E. who is wonderfully loose and casual here.

There's a whole series to explore. Only seen this 1 so far. . 

I actually prefer the Ventures  recording of this, although the version by Chet Atkins is probably what is referenced here: Walk Don't Run, by Johnny Smith

Guitar Gibson knockoff.    Label Martin knockoff... ha.

if this was indeed Nashville at the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society convention... there at least 300 other guitarists walking around that hotel. Seein Tommy off in the side of a banquet room or in a hall way would seem as common as seeing any of us... maybe that’s why lots are talking and catching up. They see each other every year like this. 

I think last year we shared footage of tommy and Jack Pearson... I’d love to do that convention one year

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 8:41 AM, 62burst said:

Would a Dove made by anyone other than Gibson still be a Dove?

3kRjxdw.png?1

they still had a good time jamming

My first decent acoustic was a Kiso Suzuki Hummingbird. Man, that thing was GREAT. I wrote hundreds of songs with it, including the ones that secured my first proper band a management deal, record deal and a chart single here in the UK. The songs literally seemed to pour out of it. 

Eventually, when I bought a "real" Hummingbird, I gave it to a disabled friend of mine who still plays it 15yrs later. I still miss it though!

The Dove copy in this video looks just like a mid-70s Norlin era example...TE really makes it sing, doesn't he? Proof that there are some good bones in the '70s Pac Rim lawsuit dust.

Edited by Jinder
Correction

On 11/26/2019 at 9:41 AM, 62burst said:

An almost philosophical question brought up there. Guess the answer might be yes, , , but you just don't pronounce it in awe.

Or maybe you do.  In that case not shining awe, , , or maybe you do.

Pass. . . 

On 11/26/2019 at 3:41 AM, 62burst said:

3kRjxdw.png?1

they still had a good time jamming

In a word, no. It might be Dove-like, or a Dove copy, but only Gibson can build a Dove. 

Is a J-45 clone a J-45? What about a D-28 clone?