Gibson Brands Forums

I Actually Bought Two Guitars Last Week.

zombywoof

Time to fess up.  The WM-00.was only the first of a two guitar week.  I debated about whether to post it here but I figured  if nothing else it was  good for my image as a lover of the cool and the crazy.   Looking at this one, I am obviously going through a round bottom phase.  This is one of those guitars with  no model number or model name so is a whatchamacallit.    The logo on the headstock tells you it is a Stadium which  was  put there by some  distributor ( likely Bruno)  and not the builder.   Although I was told it was Harmony-made,  the first look told me "this is no Harmony."   This one be Kay-built.  The headstock not only told me what factory it rolled out of but it happened  sometime from 1938 into the 1940s.   A  big old 17 1/8" lower bout archtop.  Solid spruce pressed top with maple laminate back and rim.  Maple neck and ebonized maple board.   The narrow waist and gypsy jazz-ish  oval soundhole pushed the cool factor to the max.  Best part is that  the guitar had a recent neck reset and some other repairs making it good to go right out of the starting gate..  

Kay-2.jpg

How do you like the WM line?  Bought a WM J45 a while back, and minutes after paying stumbled on to a '49 J50, which I wracked up the guitar bill for and bought too, figuring I'd just flip the WM after checking it out.  Already filled with buyer's angst, needing neither guitar really, I strangely also had two coming to me.

As good fortune would have it the WM came with the head stock snapped off and oozing Elmer's glue, so it turned to instant return and apologies. I wanted to play for comparison, but it wasn't to be. Can you A-B with an L00?

6LtdrXq.jpg

Dave

Edited by jedzep

1 hour ago, jedzep said:

How do you like the WM line?  Bought a WM J45 a while back, and minutes after paying stumbled on to a '49 J50, which I wracked up the guitar bill for and bought too, figuring I'd just flip the WM after checking it out.  Already filled with buyer's angst, needing neither guitar really, I strangely also had two coming to me.

As good fortune would have it the WM came with the head stock snapped off and oozing Elmer's glue, so it turned to instant return and apologies. I wanted to play for comparison, but it wasn't to be. Can you A-B with an L00?

6LtdrXq.jpg

Dave

Oooh, that is a major ouchie. .  A couple of  years back I picked up a  1965 Silvertone 633 Sovereign with the headstock snapped clear off.   I was lucky in that it was a clean break so was able to repair it fairly easily. 

Need, as you  know, has nothing to do with it.  I did not need either the WM-00 or the Kay.  It was one of those life is what happens when you are making other plans things.  As both popped up close to home and neither made me dig too deep in my wallet,  I figured they were gift horses and you know what they say about those.     I do not own a Bozeman-made L00 and have not played one in quite a while  so would be curious myself to see how the WM  feels and sounds when played side by side with an L00 Standard.   More than likely though, Gibson had to name the guitar something and the lower bout width was closer to an L00 than anything else  so a wave of the wand and you have a WM-00.