Gibson Brands Forums

A Jaunty Little Ditty On The L-0

BluesKing777

I was playing this on the old 37 Gibson L-0 and pressed record....I called it "Coffee for Two" because I have put Rob Timms expresso coffee bags in the case and guitar to give it a nicer smell...and I noticed that after I put the bag in today, I already had one in it...so it smells like double expresso at the coffee shop in the morning....

It always feels like I should yell out "Eat my dust!" when I play this guitar!

b6cW0eKh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

I'd hire you to be my Thanksgiving supper soundtrack. Would you mind sitting off to the side if I set you up with all manor of food and intoxicants?
Oh, and could you give a private guitar lesson after dessert? 
You have the touch. Nice! Punchy and lighthearted!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jedzep said:

I'd hire you to be my Thanksgiving supper soundtrack. Would you mind sitting off to the side if I set you up with all manor of food and intoxicants?
Oh, and could you give a private guitar lesson after dessert? 
You have the touch. Nice! Punchy and lighthearted!

Thanks JZ!

I don’t play while people make food eating noises anymore - no respect!🥶

I  remember playing at a big outdoor party and the whole time they had something cooking in a ground pit but by the time we finished playing and went for a look, there was nothing but bones. You know, no mention of ‘Why don’t you guys have a break and tuck into some barbecue?’ So the policy is to eat first!

Have a nice turkey, JZ.

BluesKing777.

4 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Thanks Nick!

Why don’t you find yourself a nice 30s L-00? (You can get one for about half of what I can!).

BluesKing777.

I'll stick with my L-OO Legend. That's close enough for me, even if it isn't 80 year old wood.

Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, the good and the bad of vintage guitars - they sound great, play bad and smell woeful..... Jedzep had a thread about smelly guitars a while back - his was embedded with deodorant from a previous owner, but somebody mentioned putting a couple of coffee bags in the soundhole. I would not have known you could even get coffee bags (like tea bags) but a friend was over and brought his own decaf coffee bags. So I picked up a box of Robert Timms Expresso coffee bags and any smellies got a bag in the soundhole and one in the headstock area of the case. The old L-0 had that 'old ciggies that now smelled like dogpoop' problem, so a couple of bags went in and when I picked it up again the other day, some more went in!

Now, the good of vintage guitars - the tone! For example, if you listen in nice headphones to my track, you can hear the bass lines doing their own thing and the treble lines too...you could never say this guitar was 'boxy' like some accuse them of being, and you could never say this guitar is 'abrasive' in any way, but dig in near the bridge and lookout - nails on a blackboard! 80 year old wood rules, Nick! (Some enabling going on😎)..... I wonder if a Legend could do this?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

On 11/26/2019 at 3:23 PM, BluesKing777 said:

Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, the good and the bad of vintage guitars - they sound great, play bad and smell woeful..... Jedzep had a thread about smelly guitars a while back - his was embedded with deodorant from a previous owner, but somebody mentioned putting a couple of coffee bags in the soundhole. I would not have known you could even get coffee bags (like tea bags) but a friend was over and brought his own decaf coffee bags. So I picked up a box of Robert Timms Expresso coffee bags and any smellies got a bag in the soundhole and one in the headstock area of the case. The old L-0 had that 'old ciggies that now smelled like dogpoop' problem, so a couple of bags went in and when I picked it up again the other day, some more went in!

Now, the good of vintage guitars - the tone! For example, if you listen in nice headphones to my track, you can hear the bass lines doing their own thing and the treble lines too...you could never say this guitar was 'boxy' like some accuse them of being, and you could never say this guitar is 'abrasive' in any way, but dig in near the bridge and lookout - nails on a blackboard! 80 year old wood rules, Nick! (Some enabling going on😎)..... I wonder if a Legend could do this?

BluesKing777.

so did the coffee bags helped??  would it help on a vintage LP? have 2 that smell funky: one like cigars, and the other one like a chemical or cleaner :S

2 hours ago, FemmeParallell said:

so did the coffee bags helped??  would it help on a vintage LP? have 2 that smell funky: one like cigars, and the other one like a chemical or cleaner :S

I really like the whiff of expresso when I open the case and while I am playing. But I have 2 bags in the soundhole, 2 in the case headstock.......you may have trouble getting a bag in the soundhole of your LPs 😎😎😎, but you could put a few in the case.

BluesKing777.

• Haha 1

Just now, BluesKing777 said:

I really like the whiff of expresso when I open the case and while I am playing. But I have 2 bags in the soundhole, 2 in the case headstock.......you may have trouble getting a bag in the soundhole of your LPs 😎😎😎, but you could put a few in the case.

BluesKing777.

HAHAHA i had to ask haha, thank you!

I was looking at the prices for these old Gibson Ls on Reverb.com and they seem to have crept up a lot of late. Which also means there are more for sale! (Sell! Says crazed owner when he sees the Reverb.com value...Sell!).

Mine wasn’t much to buy but it was only barely playable and the only one here for sale....still haven’t seen another. Getting it up to speed cost a lot - it was sort of like taking your old car in for a tune up and getting it back with a very large bill and the only thing left original is the body! But I could buy 3 or 4 fixer uppers and get them done for the current prices PLUS travel, customs, tax, CITES etc, etc.

Would I do it again?

Don’t know.😎😎😎

BluesKing777.