Gibson Brands Forums

recording equipment

MorrisrownSal

Hi all,

I used to record with an Apogee MiC that's starting to fade (static heavy use).

And I also NOW find myself with an iPad Pro 11", which has a USB-C connector and not Lightning.

I could drop $250 on the newer Apogee MiC with USB-C connectivity...

Or I could go focus rite 2i2... which allows blending two mics. 

I am leaning towards the second route. So.. record video on the iPad, but have the audio come from the focus rite, which is blending two mics (let's say one closer to the guitar and one closer to the mouth).

What would you do? And if the 2nd... what mics do i need to use?

Thanks

Hey Sal, 

I feel they do two different jobs.  Nothing is easier for plug and play than the apogee - and right into garage band to get the right settings (I feel I get a really good sound w/o much effort of figuring things out).   

If I want to get more in depth in my recording endeavor though - then having multiple inputs is good, but not always necessary.  I have the presonus 44 VSL and like it when I'm doing more of a production, but love the ease of the apogee

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd go apogee first.  Did you try replacing the cable ($30... might fix your issues).

I agree with the above, ease of use is my first priority. You could look into either the Apogee Duet or the Apogee One interface. It would allow for any two mics, but you'll keep the convinience of the iPad/Garageband. I use the  the Apogee One with a Myrtle condensor mic. This is a good compromise between ease  of use and flexibility/quality. The Apogee One has a built in mic that is supposed to be of the same quality as the Apogee Mic, so in combination with a second mic, you can still use a two mic approach.

Lars

The apogee has a special cable connector right? I thought at some point they had a version with a mini usb connection on the MiC.

An option to consider similar to that is the Blue Raspberry or the Shure MVx mics/interfaces (MV51) - these are both micro usb and usbc -> micro usb are readily available.

I find at least with the ipad that i’m more apt to use it to record if i make it as simple as possible. Once i’ve got to bring a bunch of other stuff i tend to use a regular computer and audio interface.

I'd just buy a new mic and carry on.

However my recordings are mostly for my own enjoyment and to create a database / collection of my original music. I tend to not get too involved in the recording process itself. And it shows in my recordings. Some of the members here are MASTERS of the Mixer and get some incredible home recordings. I hope to get better at that when I retire and can spend more time with it.

Just now, Murph said:

I'd just buy a new mic and carry on.

However my recordings are mostly for my own enjoyment and to create a database / collection of my original music. I tend to not get too involved in the recording process itself. And it shows in my recordings. Some of the members here are MASTERS of the Mixer and get some incredible home recordings. I hope to get better at that when I retire and can spend more time with it.

I'll piggy back off this.  I agree with Murph on everything - especially the use of my recordings, just a personal record that might get shared with a few folks and the ease of use of the apogee makes it a snap.

I do have the Presonus 4 input thing, and use it some - but I don't know jack about recording, it does not seem easy / intuitive to me to pick up, so unless I want multiple inputs - I go back to the ease of use of the Apogee.  ...but if you want the option to have multiple inputs etc... - then the focus rite is the way to go for you.  

I think i like the focusrite scarlett.... I can use two mics:

- one pointed near the guitar (I have an SM57)

- one pointed near my mout for vocals (I have several mics already including an SM58)

Blend the mix.... and have it read by the ipad pro i now have (gift from kid).

The Apogee MiC - which I always have loved (I have the 96) would need special cords that are not even available yet to work with the ipad pro - although it works with my older lightning iphone 8. But even the Apogee MiC always involved me getting the right placement so that the guitar or the vocals were not too loud relative to the other.

I may give this  $159 Scarlett a try

Sal, take a look at the Apogee One too. It's a high quality interface WITH an internal mic (similar in quality to the Apogee Mic). You can use it like you have used the Apogee Mic, with its internal mic by itself, or you can also hook up your SM-57/58 and use both it and the internal mic at once.

I think this is a way to get both the ease of an iPad to single  mic setup, as well as a two mic at once setup. The Apogee One is not much bigger than a single mic.

Lars

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

Sal, take a look at the Apogee One too. It's a high quality interface WITH an internal mic (similar in quality to the Apogee Mic). You can use it like you have used the Apogee Mic, with its internal mic by itself, or you can also hook up your SM-57/58 and use both it and the internal mic at once.

I think this is a way to get both the ease of an iPad to single  mic setup, as well as a two mic at once setup. The Apogee One is not much bigger than a single mic.

Lars

thanks Lars   

10 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Lars

Exactly. You can also look for a refurbished One. That's what I did and am very happy with it.