Gibson Brands Forums

On 11/29/2019 at 11:59 AM, Karloff said:

treated myself to an early Christmas present for the next 3 or 4 years. 2008 ES335 Custom shop. has been in the case on a back shelf in the store since 08. I "discovered" it 5 yrs ago and have been having weekly conjugal visits ever since.  at 59,  I'm stuck between "you only live once" & "you've got bills to pay dumba$$".  but with a minor anxiety attack, I brought her home. it's pretty sweet.

20191129-074534.jpg

Beautiful, time for some monster rock Boris..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 8:14 AM, billroy fineman said:

Ok - it's been a couple of days now and I'm jonesin' for an update.  Have you got a chance to put 'er through her paces yet, what amp(s) are you playing her through, and what type of music is the sound just right...   if you got a minute 😉

well I dragged out my amps over the weekend.  a Traynor, Peavey Classic, Orange AD30  & a Blackstar 40.  sounded great through all of them, but I'm the most use to the Traynor & Peavey, use them the most so its easier to dial them in. the Orange is too dry. no reverb. still adjusting to the Blackstar. 

it has plenty of balls and cleans up nice .  I primarily play blues rock, southern rock. ABB, Mule, B Smoke. but I joined another band earlier this year that plays a little bit of everything.  really love the tone. the neck pickup seems to give that woody kinda of tone associated with the 335's.  it has the 57 Classic pickups which I'm a fan of. 

• Like 1

Congrats Doug!  When the day comes that you know the end is near, I'm sure the one thing you aint gonna say is "Dam, I should have never bought all those guitars"... 

you know it, I know it, everyone reading this knows it....

Now, go play that thing..

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Congrats Doug!  When the day comes that you know the end is near, I'm sure the one thing you aint gonna say is "Dam, I should have never bought all those guitars"... 

you know it, I know it, everyone reading this knows it....

Now, go play that thing..

lol. this is true. and actually that morning I had an appt with my cardiologist. i've got a heart monitor attached for the next couple of weeks.  left the Dr's and drove straight to the music store and bought it.  the "you only live once" philosophy kicked in. 

this thing is heavy. weighs as much as my Goldtop. 

27 minutes ago, Karloff said:

the "you only live once" philosophy kicked in. 

tru dat, but it's best to turn that around.. -- We live EVERYDAY, we only DIE once...  

and those are def heavy guitars,  the semi hollow is deceiving.    Rock It!!!

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Karloff said:

really love the tone. the neck pickup seems to give that woody kinda of tone associated with the 335's.  it has the 57 Classic pickups which I'm a fan of. 

That where I live. Neck pickup woody tone. Delicious.

57 Classics are just inspiring...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

That where I live. Neck pickup woody tone. Delicious.

57 Classics are just inspiring...

they are. I have them in my Classic Antique.  i really like them. 

Boy that is incredible that it's been in a shop for 11 years hidden away.  Glad you pulled the trigger, it's a beauty and after 11 years of foreplay actually owning it and being able to play it everyday will be great.  In this case "you only live once" was definitely the way to go!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Boy that is incredible that it's been in a shop for 11 years hidden away.  Glad you pulled the trigger, it's a beauty and after 11 years of foreplay actually owning it and being able to play it everyday will be great.  In this case "you only live once" was definitely the way to go!!

yea, there was a second one I'm thinking maybe the same year. a darker burst. recently a FB memory popped up for me from 5 yrs ago where I was hold each one up saying "which one ?". they sold the darker one late last year. I had liked this one from the get go. 

this music store is like my home away from home.  my wife called the store once and asked them "please tell Doug to turn his phone on" lol.  I know their inventory as much as they do.  "oh yea, the '08 335, it's on the rear 2nd shelf, 3rd from the left." .